Martial Arts, weight training and other sports

Mark1985

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi. As mentioned in other parts of the forum, I am aiming to come back to martial arts. I am also looking at coming back to play cricket (an overlycomplicated English sport for those who don't know). I also attend a gym. My question is about balancing all these 3 without overtraining. A bit of background:

I am 30, 5'9", moderatly fit and have a small belly (not massive) on me (thank you Mr Barman...). I go to the more around 5 times a week (mix of weights and cardio) and I work shifts as a porter in a hotel (so on my feet all day). Therefore I am moderatly fit. I will be soon starting a new office based job where I will work Monday-Friday 9-5, and going on holiday for 2 weeks. My plan for when I get back is to restart my martial arts training as well as cricket (which I've been doing on/off). My weekly routine will be as follows:

1 x cricket training (Wednesdays)
1 x cricket game (Saturdays)
1 x Martial Arts (1 x week night)

How many weights/cardio session should I fit around this? Enough to get my strength/fitness levels up, but not too much so that I overtrain? Thanks for any advice!

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well the actual sessions your doing aren't that much (not meant in a bad way) 3 things a week that gives you 4 other days. Personally I'd say do 2 other days of cardio/ weights. One day cardio one day weights and have 2 rest days. Don't forget your martial arts and cricket will keep you fit and improve strength as well it's not all about pumping iron to get strong or doing 5 mile runs to get fit. Don't forget one of the main reasons people take up sport is to be fit or lose weight

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to do strength training 3x/week and cardio (3mile runs) 2x a week on top of 2-3 MA classes. I figured out that I can replace the runs (I hate running) with two heavy bag training sessions instead and I get sparring-related cardio as well as MA technique work with the same workout. I like it, YMMV.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Goals, my brother, what are your goals? Where do you want to be in five years?

OP
M

Mark1985

White Belt
Reaction score
Goals, my brother, what are your goals? Where do you want to be in five years?

Good question! Ideally I would like to be a black belt, have made improvements to my cricket, have lost the slight belly I appear to have developed (thank you again Mr Barman with you're intoxicating drinks and salty bar snacks!) and be a happier more well rounded person. Either that or be living on a tropical island with Taylor Swift and my overinflated bank account...

OP
M

Mark1985

White Belt
Reaction score
I used to do strength training 3x/week and cardio (3mile runs) 2x a week on top of 2-3 MA classes. I figured out that I can replace the runs (I hate running) with two heavy bag training sessions instead and I get sparring-related cardio as well as MA technique work with the same workout. I like it, YMMV.

I despise running too. Have replaced it with swimming and cycling. But maybe 2 weights days and 1 cardio day, plus the rest day can consist of a light swim if anything at all.

kenpoguy, why 2 rest days instead of 1?

Latest Discussions