Martial arts sayings or proverbs

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I read a martial art saying from a top instructor ,of an art I train in, I wanted to share it with you, and ask if you have any, that may have inspired, encouraged, or been thought provoking.

" every one you train with, is your instructor, those who wish to beat you up, are your best instructors".
Mikhail Ryabko.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
582e626d8c85bd8c912a7be9593de7a2--brown-belt-black-belt.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Everyone starts from zero"

This helped beginners in my classes to put things into perspective when they have difficulty.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This relates to everything in my life, not just MA.

"You have to be smarter than what you are working on."

When I say this I usually get some hard looks and it sometimes offends people before they think it through. I almost always follow the statement up with the truth that I am usually in trouble because I am not.

D

Deleted member 39746

There might be a "eye for a eye.." version in a lot of them as well.

I think i heard/saw a variation of that used for FMA once.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here are a few I've heard from my guitar instructor, that I've used in martial arts:
  1. I'm not impressed by speed, I'm impressed by accuracy.
  2. Do it until you get it right 3 times in a row. (Which is similar to one I've heard in martial arts: "Don't do it 'til you get it right, do it 'til you can't get it wrong.")

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here are a few I've heard from my guitar instructor, that I've used in martial arts:
  1. I'm not impressed by speed, I'm impressed by accuracy.
  2. Do it until you get it right 3 times in a row. (Which is similar to one I've heard in martial arts: "Don't do it 'til you get it right, do it 'til you can't get it wrong.")

But some of the best guitarists play sloppy! :) But yes, I get your point. When someone starts talking playing guitar and speed, I am reminded of Debussy's comment that music is the silence between the notes. It can be taken a lot of ways. Come to think of it, it can probably be analogized to the thread subject. It isn't the contact in a technique that matters, but the movement delivering it, or something of the sort.

My instructor used to have a sign in his dojo that said "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect Practice makes perfect." I was reminded of that as I was working on the kata for my black belt.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But some of the best guitarists play sloppy! :) But yes, I get your point. When someone starts talking playing guitar and speed, I am reminded of Debussy's comment that music is the silence between the notes. It can be taken a lot of ways. Come to think of it, it can probably be analogized to the thread subject. It isn't the contact in a technique that matters, but the movement delivering it, or something of the sort.

My instructor used to have a sign in his dojo that said "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect Practice makes perfect." I was reminded of that as I was working on the kata for my black belt.
I think that's true for kata/forms. But for actual application, it's imperfect practice that we learn the most from. I mention it not as a pedantic correction, but as a reminder that our practice should include enough challenge that we occasionally fail (resistance in training), because that's where we actually learn the most.

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think that's true for kata/forms. But for actual application, it's imperfect practice that we learn the most from. I mention it not as a pedantic correction, but as a reminder that our practice should include enough challenge that we occasionally fail (resistance in training), because that's where we actually learn the most.

I would agree, wholeheartedly. I would add, though, that one can do everything correctly and still fail. While it may seem counter-intuitive, as both a lawyer and a medic I have had that simple fact brought home to me on several occasions. For me, it was both important and difficult to take those experiences and attempt to use them as learning moments. It is much easier in the dojo, whether working on a technique or sparring.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I wouldn't call that imperfect practice. I'd call it failure drills.

W.Bridges

Orange Belt
Reaction score
never say i cant, if you do follow it by yet.
failure is the first step to succedding

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Within reason, of course.
"I can't rob a bank...yet."
Agreed. Like most sayings, it's best not to take it too literally. I heard someone teaching their people to literally NEVER use the word "can't", and to replace it with "won't". This lead people to say things like:
  • I won't find any paper.
  • I won't reach that.
  • I won't straighten my leg anymore, since the injury.
All of which should actually have been "can't". And this guy was serious about the need to eliminate "can't".

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Agreed. Like most sayings, it's best not to take it too literally. I heard someone teaching their people to literally NEVER use the word "can't", and to replace it with "won't". This lead people to say things like:
  • I won't find any paper.
  • I won't reach that.
  • I won't straighten my leg anymore, since the injury.
All of which should actually have been "can't". And this guy was serious about the need to eliminate "can't".

however there is an awfully big difference between "I can't breath" and "I won't breath" :D

Latest Discussions