Martial Arts Orgins, Where did they come from????

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
* Remember-not all of my posts are my opinions. But thoughts or discussions from other sources-some long ago.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
like ive said in many posts before, the philosophy usually comes after the art. people go out and kill each other and then decide afterward of a good reason to justify their actions.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
like ive said in many posts before, the philosophy usually comes after the art. people go out and kill each other and then decide afterward of a good reason to justify their actions.
Yes, in some cases, they find the justification and then do it later. Psychopaths?

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have noticed many systems have developed out of many other arts and the best techniques almagated to form one complete system. Look At Praying Mantis, a system founded by a monk watching a Preying mantis fighting off alarger animal. THe Monk was Called Tong Long and it he founded this art after having been beaten many times in the Shaolin temple by other Monks, so aftre watching this fight he coped the praying mantis movements and incorporated MOnkey footwork. A lot of styles originate from Animal attacking movements as well as how they behave. Much of Kung Fu is souly based on animals, especially the 5 Animals, the Snake, leopard, dragon, crane and tiger.
Due to cultural exchanges between Okinawa and Mainland China, Karate was formed as the local islanders were forbiddedn to use weapons by the Japenese so develped an unarmed form of combat and used farming implements as weapons. A Nunchuku was actuially a rice flail and originate from China.

Its interestiung how martial arts has evolved though the centuries to meet the need to violent encounters.Today we have mma and Jeet Kude Do, with no forms or katas, just realistic fighting.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tony said:
I have noticed many systems have developed out of many other arts and the best techniques almagated to form one complete system. Look At Praying Mantis, a system founded by a monk watching a Preying mantis fighting off alarger animal. THe Monk was Called Tong Long and it he founded this art after having been beaten many times in the Shaolin temple by other Monks, so aftre watching this fight he coped the praying mantis movements and incorporated MOnkey footwork. A lot of styles originate from Animal attacking movements as well as how they behave. Much of Kung Fu is souly based on animals, especially the 5 Animals, the Snake, leopard, dragon, crane and tiger.
Due to cultural exchanges between Okinawa and Mainland China, Karate was formed as the local islanders were forbiddedn to use weapons by the Japenese so develped an unarmed form of combat and used farming implements as weapons. A Nunchuku was actuially a rice flail and originate from China.

Its interestiung how martial arts has evolved though the centuries to meet the need to violent encounters.Today we have mma and Jeet Kude Do, with no forms or katas, just realistic fighting.
I understand what you mean Tony. And I agree with some of your post. But to clarify, the monk wasn't called Tong Long. And some say he wasnt a monk at all.

And much of Karate wasn't practice out of a Japanese weapons ban. A good book to read is "Okinawan Karate" by Mark Bishop. And any books on the subject by Patrick McCarthy. Despite what some mainland Japanese martial artists may disagree upon, the term "tode" was still being said/used in the 1960"s. A era when I was in my youth and met one of my instructors whom had used this term. But it sounded different from him.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If all martial arts come from God is it impossible for a bad person to create their own system?

Does creating your own system demonstrate approval from God?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bod said:
If all martial arts come from God is it impossible for a bad person to create their own system?

Does creating your own system demonstrate approval from God?
While it cant be proven that it came from God.

It is a development of human conflict.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
A friend of mine works in the anthropology department at the University, and we were discussing this the other day. A Clovis point is a heck of a work of art and science. It is beautifully functional, made to stick in when the shaft of the spear breaks, made from obsidian sharper than steel, and thrown with an ingenious tool (actually throws the spear, tough to do, the university holds an atlatl throwing contest and it is easy to screw up while throwing) called an atlatl. These ingenious people used these amazing tools to kill mammoth that were something like 15 feet tall at the shoulder.

In this thread I discuss sport competition in the atlatl and a current effort to allow atlatl hunting of deer in Pennsylvania. The decision is to be made this month.

Latest Discussions