Martial Arts Orgins, Where did they come from????

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
you say in your statement that in your travels all over the world that people believe in a higher being although they may not call it god. as the son of a baptist mother (who is an elder in her church) and a catholic father, i was exposed to differing opinions on who or what god is. as far as the non catholic christian missionary point of view thing goes, most of the people i have met say something like, "well these people worship god, they just call Him something different."
this sort of opinion makes it easier for these people to accept and simultaneously push "there" version of the lord on someone. while the idea of a God that truely exists to people is all too real, here is once again an example of finding an end to justify the means. in the origins of many martial arts, the art was developed before any sort of spiritual philosophy was attached to it along with a set of morals to temper the artists actions or justify the use of said art, in order to make the artist feel better about the use of their art.
how many wars in the past 10 centuries were waged in the name of god?
I like this post
Kind of reminds me of:
Religion is the lynch-pin to most hypocrisy.

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But EVEN I have to say that Sitchin, in 'the Twelvth Planet' is so Far fetched as to be increadibly ludacris.
It doesn't 'support' anything but the importance of staying on psychotropic drugs once you begin them.

Nice one Brother John!!

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
DuneViking said:
But EVEN I have to say that Sitchin, in 'the Twelvth Planet' is so Far fetched as to be increadibly ludacris.
It doesn't 'support' anything but the importance of staying on psychotropic drugs once you begin them.
man's conflcit with anithe man.....onset my some other being.....hmmnn

OP
V

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
DRMiller said:
How many wars were not?
Civil War

WW-1

WW-2

Korean War

Vietnam

Gulf War 1

Gulf War 2

Now I have my opinion on how and why these wars were started, None of which were in the name of God. But lets go ahead and open it open for conversation.
Why do you believe these wars were started and fought over?
Thanks for your posts
San

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, the orgins of martial arts to have mant ties with war/military development. However, i cannot see the corrleation with this and "modern" warefare to credit its "origin"

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well if martial arts were a gift from god, i am going to accept that all martial ways were a gift from god because humans arent smart enough to come up with them themselves. so in conclusion, god is responsible for all wars waged because he gave us the knowledge of war.
simple enough, right?

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
all martial ways were a gift from god because humans arent smart enough to come up with them themselves

Is the nuclear bomb a gift from God? I don't know anyone smart enough to make one all by themselves.

Since no-one can pass on the knowledge of the nuclear bomb without it being corrupted I guess it must have come from Africa or something. Or Aliens.

A locomotive is moving. Someone asks: "What moves it?" A peasant says the devil moves it. Another man says the locomotive moves because its wheels go round. A third asserts that the cause of its movement lies in the smoke which the wind carries away.

The peasant is irrefutable. He has devised a complete explanation. To refute him someone would have to prove to him that there is no devil, or another peasant would have to explain to him that it is not the devil but a German, who moves the locomotive.
Lev Tolstoy - War and Peace, Chapter 356

D

DRMiller

Civil War - Business - The agricultural South did not like the Industrial North controlling their commerce.

WW-1 - Politics

WW-2 - Polictics(Europe), Vengence (Pacific)

Korean War - Political & Idealogical (anti-communist rhetoric)

Vietnam - Political & Idealogical (anti-communist rhetoric)

Gulf War 1 - Business (Sadam was getting a little too big for his own good and threatening the corporate interests)

Gulf War 2 - Business & retribution (son had to finish what daddy failed to do.) Who was the first in to clean up and I don't mean the war damage? (Haliburton)

Reactions: Bod

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's a clich'e to say "Wars fought in the name of God", not only do we risk sounding like Hawkeye Pierce-but fails to take in colonial expansion, greed and politics. Some wars fought in the name od God were actually a more about the plunder

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i dont think its a cliche to those people that were fighting those wars with that cause in mind.........i guess all the militants in iraq are just doing it so they can chop off a few heads, not because they believe in anything

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sure, they believ that the land is thier land, and they should choose whom sets foot on the soil. Do they use religion to further justify thier cause? Yes, but the war is not about that- everything that we do is held up as an example of how unholy, or callous we are

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
well if martial arts were a gift from god, i am going to accept that all martial ways were a gift from god because humans arent smart enough to come up with them themselves. so in conclusion, god is responsible for all wars waged because he gave us the knowledge of war.
simple enough, right?
Insane, as if a martial art and war was a gift of god....then he will be contradicting himself as "thou shalt not kill"........

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation on topic..

which was
PHP:
Many ppl believe the Martial Arts began in China or India, a few think Japan or Okinawa. Personally I believe the the first Martial Arts what I refer to as O.A (Original Art) began in Africa. Now I know this will probably go against the grain of many and I can live with that. 
Asl always I am open to any and all posts and opinions.

Sheldon Bedell
-MT Moderator-

OP
V

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Insane, as if a martial art and war was a gift of god....then he will be contradicting himself as "thou shalt not kill"........
Not at all, God gave man the ability to choose, We know right from wrong. God also said thou shall not steel, commit adultry but boy do those two commandments get broken alot. Still I see the arts as a gift as is life. Are we perfect?? No, but then again life is full of choices which we are allowed to make. Contradicting himself?????? No, just giving us the freedom to choose, Choose wisely.

By the way as a side not, I just ordered and recieved a book called (Adventures of a Tibetan Fighting Monk) also refered to as Dub-Dub warriors. Ive heard of them before. It is fascinating reading. This is a true story of how a monk became a Dub Dub and his some of his life story, Great reading and full of interesting information. FYI folks

Thanks again for your posts.

San

Latest Discussions