"Martial Arts Moves" used to stop attacker, who died.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I would guess that some sort of choke was used.

During the course of the attempted robbery, the two victims, both 29, did some type of martial-arts move to knock the gun away and physically subdue the 33-year-old until cops arrived, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation. The suspected robber, who stood around 6 feet tall and was very thin, somehow lost consciousness, the source said.

He was pronounced dead at Staten Island University Hospital in Ocean Breeze, the police spokesman said.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is this like the one where the Marines were doing a charity fundraiser outside of a store, and a man robbed the store and on the way out stabbed one of the Marines. He then "fell off the curb" and broke half the bones in his body.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember watching a video of a would be bank robber falling victim to a bjj guys rear naked choke. He went night night real fast. The hero, had enough experience to relax as soon as the perp blacked out. But, anytime you throw, trip, choke and knock somebody down there is a chance of death. Compared to the rest of creation, we are pretty darn fragile, even the tough guys…

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One of my students had to put a strangle on a guy at a party. The guy was wanting to fight and punched him. My student threw the trouble maker to the ground at the first missed punch and then put him to sleep.

Another student of mine stopped a purse snatcher COLD at a Kmart. He used a technique I taught but never realized just how effective it actually was. Doing it in the dojo where you have mats and take care of each other is a far cry from the real world. The manager told my student thanks and that he would "take care of it" and he should go before the cops were called. There were other incidents with most handled without actual violence.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the 33 yr old perpetrator put up a good fight and was restrained to the point of causing his own death. After reading the article the whole thing seemed a bit weird.....
Don’t believe everything you read, especially online. I only take stories seriously if they’re reported on the BBC, Sky News, ITN News… and I mean all of them!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What is ‘top pressure’?
Say you’re on the bottom and I’m on top with side control. I can put a lot of pressure on your chest and diaphragm that feels really heavy. Shoulder pressure from the top can keep you from turning your head in. It’s all very uncomfortable.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say you’re on the bottom and I’m on top with side control. I can put a lot of pressure on your chest and diaphragm that feels really heavy. Shoulder pressure from the top can keep you from turning your head in. It’s all very uncomfortable.
Oh I see…mechanical asphyxiation….preventing respiratory effort…nasty indeed!

I had a maths teacher at school,who was working under his car. It seems the jack holding up the car failed and slowly dropped the car in his chest preventing him from breathing in. One of the forensic signs of mechanical asphyxiation are paticheal haemorrhage (pin-point ‘bruises’) on the skin around the eyes, cheeks and neck! Awful way to go…Use ramps!

chiquest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Any knock out blow that causes someone to fall and hit their head on pavement can cause death. In this regard, it's better to use debilitating strikes like punches or kicks to the body, kicks to the legs, ear claps or eye gouges.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can basically kill a guy with top pressure. That is how positional asphyxiation works.

Yup. Fat guys can get the tap just by laying on your face. Worst is when their gi opens up and their nasty, hairy, sweaty blubber is all over your face. Instant tap from me.

Latest Discussions