Martial Arts Literature

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how much this counts, as it's partially a bunch of philosophical sayings by a martial artist, but I always loved the art of peace by Morihei Ueshiba. Helped me a lot with my anger management issues.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just started Matt's book (only been out for a couple weeks). Been highlighting as I go...would have been better to highlight what is not interesting, thought provoking, and useful. Would have saved highlighter had I done so.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0862GFBKX

41aaOZdp8IL.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just started Matt's book (only been out for a couple weeks). Been highlighting as I go...would have been better to highlight what is not interesting, thought provoking, and useful. Would have saved highlighter had I done so.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0862GFBKX

41aaOZdp8IL.jpg
That looks awesome Brian... right up my alley, will definitely look into it. I read mostly from alot from nonduality and Zen texts, sounds like it has a similar flavour.. but he's a martial artist so that'd be fascinating reading it..

Love the actual title too

Joopsnoop

White Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone read Budo Karate by Cameron Quinn? Have tried to get a copy but hard to find. He was Mas Oyama's interpreter.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OSU guys!

I hope everyone is well, safe, healthy and keeping fit as best as possible during these extraordinary times. Since most of us are getting a lot more time indoors and therefore exploring new things to do, I wanted to share something that I am using this time for: reading even more martial arts literature to keep on educating myself about as much as possible. Some of my favorites have been "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa, "This is Karate" by Masutatsu Oyama, "Martial Arts Reader" and "Mind Training for the Martial Arts" by Dr. Clive Layton.

I'd be very interested to find out what everyone's favorite martial arts books, magazines or any form of literature are. It will also help us all to find new inspiration to pick up an interesting new book and to continue learning and trying new things on this beautiful journey. I look forward to your responses!

Cheers!

Roland
I've republished dozens of antique martial arts books on Lulu. You can buy them as physical copies or ePub electronics but almost all of them are available for free as PDF.

Get them here:
Lulu

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I loved Zen in the Martial Arts. I've probably purchased fifty copies over the years, giving them to students as gifts.

I was in a dojo in South Africa back in the day. It was the third night there and I was tired. While stretching before class I realized I was in a dojo Hyams talked about in his book, Stan Schmidt's.

Suddenly I wasn't tired anymore.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I loved Zen in the Martial Arts. I've probably purchased fifty copies over the years, giving them to students as gifts.

I was in a dojo in South Africa back in the day. It was the third night there and I was tired. While stretching before class I realized I was in a dojo Hyams talked about in his book, Stan Schmidt's.

Suddenly I wasn't tired anymore.

Cool
I've read it about a half a dozen times and not that you mention it, I think I'll read it again

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone read Budo Karate by Cameron Quinn? Have tried to get a copy but hard to find. He was Mas Oyama's interpreter.
Yeah I bought it many years ago as an ebook. Seriously has to be one my absolute favourites... an amazing and such a comprehensive read. I'm not sure if its still available as an ebook? (The physical copy is SUPER expensive... best look for the digital version!)

I believe he's writing/written a new one as we speak! Budo Blueprint or something? On some of his recent YouTube clips he reads some passages from this new one and discusses them

Latest Discussions