Martial Arts in College?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back in my college days Martial Arts was not offered in the curriculum. Has that changed? Are there any schools that offer it or are there any students or Professors that teach it on campus informally?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Around here, there are colleges that either offer it as credit, regular MA class, or both. The TKD class I attend, has one held at a college as credit, but also has regular classes not too far from the college.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Surprisingly there are a number of schools that offer degrees in MA of some form or another. The University of Bridgeport in Connecticut offeres a B.A. in Martial Arts Studies. From the curriculum on their website it seems to be a blend of actual MA classes (TKD and Taichi were the latest offerings) coupled with a liberal arts focus on the history, background and social impacts of the arts. I seem to recall seeing other schools that offer degrees as well. I wonder how many people actually enroll in these types of programs? It would be interesting to get a perspective on the program from someone who's graduated from it.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
None of the colleges around me offers degrees in them, although I've heard of that...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most colleges and universities will offer martial arts in some way, shape, or form. Most of the time, it's in the form of "club sports" or some informal organization that is usually run by students, in association with one of the local martial arts school's chief instructor.

Since most colleges have some sort of rec center available, it's fairly easy to hold classes using their facilities, since you can usually reserve a block of time at one of the gymnasiums, or even the dance rooms.

Usually, such programs are very cheap, compared to paying full tuition at a commercial school, and students would do well to take advantage of such a situation.

NDNgirl4ever

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm a college student myself. My college doesn't offer MA, unfortuately. I don't know if the Universities here do or not, but I haven't seen it offered. However, I have heard that some colleges in the US do offer martial arts for credit.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most colleges and universities will offer martial arts in some way, shape, or form. Most of the time, it's in the form of "club sports" or some informal organization that is usually run by students, in association with one of the local martial arts school's chief instructor.

Since most colleges have some sort of rec center available, it's fairly easy to hold classes using their facilities, since you can usually reserve a block of time at one of the gymnasiums, or even the dance rooms.

Usually, such programs are very cheap, compared to paying full tuition at a commercial school, and students would do well to take advantage of such a situation.

Sometimes they'll even take non-students into the classes. I know some of the clubs at Yale will do that. You're right...it can be an inexpensive way to learn an art.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most colleges I'm familiar with have some sort of MA in their PE/recreational program.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a college student myself. My college doesn't offer MA, unfortuately. I don't know if the Universities here do or not, but I haven't seen it offered. However, I have heard that some colleges in the US do offer martial arts for credit.
Some to many colleges will offer a handful of martial arts classes through their PE departments. Usually, it's whatever either one of the professors on campus or a little more aggressively marketed local school gets into the schedule, or some sort of "self defense" class. Many community colleges (or parks & rec departments) offer a little wider variety in their adult ed classes, though, again, it's often driven by who marketed themselves enough...

Even more have club programs affiliated with the school's intramural programs.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My sahbum teaches TKD at a community college - there's a credit class (for people who are taking it for PE credit), and then there's the community class, for anyone who wants to join. Some of the members of the community class came out of the credit class, and some didn't.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Surprisingly there are a number of schools that offer degrees in MA of some form or another. The University of Bridgeport in Connecticut offeres a B.A. in Martial Arts Studies. From the curriculum on their website it seems to be a blend of actual MA classes (TKD and Taichi were the latest offerings) coupled with a liberal arts focus on the history, background and social impacts of the arts. I seem to recall seeing other schools that offer degrees as well. I wonder how many people actually enroll in these types of programs? It would be interesting to get a perspective on the program from someone who's graduated from it.
I would have enrolled.

utb1528

White Belt
Reaction score
Eastern Michigan University has a club and credit class.

The credit class meets on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7pm until 9pm at the EMU Warner Building.

The club meets on Tuesdays at EMU Warner Building and Thursdays at the EMU REC/IM utility gym from 7pm until 9pm (both days).

Every session is taught by Grandmaster Eugene A. Humesky.

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Indiana University has a martial arts program for several styles,google "martial arts indiana university" for the curriculum link...I would have posted it but my pc is half locked up as it is. sorry guys

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most Cuong Nhu schools are on one college campus or anouther. In fact the original school was at the University of Florida, Gainesville.