Martial Arts in Beijing

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To be honest I can’t say much about it, I was to busy doing everything else.

I was supposed to meet with an alleged long time Yang style guy. Once I got there his story changed a bit, he had said he had not done push hands in a long time, but after I arrived it turned to well my students do not want to learn push hands, I haven’t don it in a long time and I probably don’t remember. Bottom-line no push hands. I was supposed to meet with a Taoist as well, a friend of my Mother-in-law, out of town.

My mother-in-law did find a Buddhist guy that was considered a professional in Beijing martial arts that was a long time Xingyi and Bagua person, but I have to admit not being back in Xingyi all that long (1 month) and not speaking any Mandarin and he spoke no English, well you get the picture.

I did go to the parks a couple of mornings to check it out. There are tons of people doing Tai Chi in the parks and it was in Tien Ten park (Temple of Heaven) and this is where I lost interest in the main CMA I do (Traditional Yang style Tai Chi) I saw a couple of amazing Chen stylists as well as Wu stylists and some guys working on Tai Chi applications (I do not know the style) and I saw a Sun stylist, but since I do not know Sun I cannot tell you if he was good or bad, looked good to me that all I can say. But it was the Yang stylists that disappointed me. The majority of what I saw and what was being taught was 24 form for health only, no martial arts at all. This actually validated the guy I was suppose to do push hands with excuse. I learned 24 form 15 years ago and there is nothing wrong with it but it is not traditional and it is not what I want anymore. I only saw 3 guys, probably in their 60s doing traditional Yang Tai Chi, I only saw the end so I do not know how good they’re form really was, but they finished, started talking to each other and all lit up cigarettes and stood there smoking and talking. (Smoking is a major past time in Beijing), The talking part would have been ok, but I was not ready to breath the smoke at 7:30 in the morning.

The 2 guys that impressed me most were doing Shaolin Long Fist. Both looked very old, one was around 80 the other was around 90. If I could move as good as the 80 year old I would be happy. He was not as smooth or fast as some 20 somethings I have seen do the form but damn he had power and he could jump fairly well too. After he was done the 90 year old said something to him demonstrated a little bit and the 80 year old did the form again…. More powerful than the first time.

As for Tai Chi; Chen great, Wu Great, Sun fine to me, Yang very disappointing. Shaolin long fist, very impressive.

I did get a chance to talk to a martial artist on the subway, via my wife’s translation. He sounded as if he trained hard and knew his art very well. He trained almost everyday with his Sifu. I had done his style for 1 month a few years back so I did not sound like a complete idiot.

This martial artist was probably in his twenties and his art was……. Kendo

I am absolutely certain there are amazing martial artist in Beijing, if you go there to train I feel it is best to find a professional, like the Buddhist guy, and some in the parks were very impressive. I did see the guy teaching what appeared to be Tai Chi applications and he appeared to know his stuff. But as I said, I just lost interest after the park and stopped looking. But you truly do not have to look far, look at any police office or military person and they have been trained in Sanda/Sanshou.

I did have an interesting run in with 2 young Chinese martial artists in the Forbidden City. I was inside one of the buildings when I caught out of the corner of my eye 2 young boys playing at sparring. Kicking and punching back and forth, and they were not that bad actually. Then one of them, as his friend threw a spinning back kick, backed up turned and ran behind me. When the kicker stopped and went to continue his attack he stopped cold, looking roughly at my waist (he was not that tall), looked up at me, did a perfect Shaolin bow and then ran around me to start beating on his friend again. They ran out and I lost track of who won.

(Sorry to disappoint, but I truly did not do much if any CMA while there except for what I already knew, which I generally did very early in the morning. In Beijing, with the 12 hour time difference, I was a morning person for the first time in my life.)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sorry it didn't turn out as you had hoped. that is a real bummer.

My sifu goes to Beijing every year or two to train with his sifus, one in Chen tai chi, and one in bagua. I haven't been able to go with him yet, but I know he trains with some top-notch people. I guess having the right connections helps.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I'm sorry it didn't turn out as you had hoped. that is a real bummer.

My sifu goes to Beijing every year or two to train with his sifus, one in Chen tai chi, and one in bagua. I haven't been able to go with him yet, but I know he trains with some top-notch people. I guess having the right connections helps.

No problem, its all good, I had a ball in Beijing. And as far as martial arts goes, once I get the new direction set, there is always next time.

And if you get a chance, you should go I still highly recommend it. There are some top-notch people there. Those Long fist guys were great to watch. I have never seen a person that age that appeared to have that much power. Actually one of the best push hands matches I ever saw was a video my first Sifu filmed in China. 2 guys form 2 different styles. One 85-year-old Chen guy and a 90 years old Wu guy, damn those guys were fast.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well at least u saw somethings. Sounds like even though u didnt see what you wanted u still had a great time. I wish I could have seen it for myself.

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Like 'Flying Crane' said it depends on who you know, or if you have the right connections. There is also a lot of competition over in Beijing, I visited there a few years back with my Taiqiquan teacher, and she explained to me about how people often rubbish other styles and so on.

Regarding 'Xue Sheng' and his point about Yang style, from my training there it seems this style has split and adapted to become other systems, although still within the Yang tradition. For example, the Ru Yi school is not very well known outside of Beijing and difficult to research, however it is a pure fighting form and its efficiency is not in any question. However, as I was saying, it depends on how you know, and many keep themselves to themselves out there and prefer to avoid the bickering that often goes on.

When we visited Beijing we studied in 'Black Bamboo Park' or Zizhuyuan Park in Hai Dian District. This was an area synonymous with Ru Yi, and many great masters and students used to gather there in the early mornings, unfortunately times have changed I think and it's not the same anymore!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
World Kung-fu athletes on pilgrimage to Shaolin

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"I've never seen so many people practicing martial arts at the same time!" said Su Rule, marveling at the numerous Kung-fu practitioners around her.

Australian Su is one of the 2,008 coaches and athletes from 66 countries and regions across the world, who have come to Zhengzhou, the capital of central China's Henan Province, for the second World Traditional Wushu (martial arts) Championships (WTWUC) from October 16 to 19.

On Tuesday morning, all participants were greeted by a grand welcome ceremony, named "Pilgrimage to Shaolin", at Henan's Shaolin Temple, the birth place of Chinese martial arts.
[/FONT]

Studies on birthplace of Chinese Kung Fu expected to boom: abbot

Shi Yongxin, abbot of the Chinese Kung-Fu's birthplace Shaolin Temple, expressed his hope to boost the Studies of Shaolin Temple, a place widely believed to be the birthplace of Chinese Kung Fu at an International Symposium on Buddhism Culture here on Friday.

"The Shaolin Temple will promote relationship with experts of academy fields, especial in the Buddhism culture and history, on the Studies of Shaolin Temple," said the abbot.

The studies of Shaolin Temple will include a variety concerning the history, Buddhism development, tablets, martial arts and medicine of the temple.

The abbot said actually the concept of Shaolin Temple Studies was put forward in 2005.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Update and Note:

I can now see and admit that when I was in Beijing due to a problem I was having with my long time Sifu here in the US that my views were more than a bit Jaded about CMA at that time.

There are a lot of people in Beijing doing Tai Chi, mainly 24 form, badly

But there were a few doing Chen that were amazing, one doing Wu that all I could do is stare like an idiot in complete awe at his skill, one doing Sun that looked great to me, and I saw the end of 3 guys doing traditional Yang, so I cannot judge how good they were, and there was a guy giving push hands lessons that I saw, but his lack of English and my lack of Chinese made it somewhat impossible for me to get involved in what he was doing, but he was rather impressive.

And there were 2 old guys. Likely late 70s to early 80s doing some of the best Long fist I have ever seen.

There was a Xingyi Sifu there that appeared to be the real deal, but also due to my bad Chinese and his nonexistent English training with him was not possible.

(That and I was a little intimidated, he had that Xingyi Sifu stare that can be a bit scary, even though he was much smaller than me, a Buddhist and about 80 :) )

I have since found that there are more than a couple VERY good Yiquan teachers there as well most direct lineage to Wang.

I have learned a lot about finding a good CMA teacher in Beijing since leaving Beijing with help of family there.

My Chinese is getting better, I am working on sanda and I am standing in santi again, just because it feels right, so I may just do some Xingyi on my own, the stuff I already know and I did come across someone that does know Xingyi 12 animal that is we ever get time he will teach me. So next time I go to Beijing I will find a teacher and if I do end up living there for a year or so, which is actually looking more likely, I will have a Sifu to train with.

But from what I am finding Most CMA there is internal (Xingyi, Bagua, Tai Chi – mainly Yang and Chen). However Sanda is also big there and I have even located a Wing Chun School that just recently started admitting foreigners.

XS