Technique combinations

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw Terry's post on TKD punching combo's and thought it's a good idea to have you guys list combinations of techniques that you think work together promoting flow and promoting your arts principles. Please list one or more of combinations you are comfortable with. please list what principle your technique promotes as well.

I will list 2 of them here:
1. Roundhouse with leading hand to head, continue with side-hammer fist after going down targetting stomach, or groin, then an upper cut to chin as you come up again. The principle is attacking high then low.

2. intercept a straight punch with mantis hook grab/pluck side hammer fist to the elbow of the arm you just plucked along with a shin kick (ja-tui technique) principle is faking a high attack to elbow (you are actually striking to break elbow) but achieving a more important goal which is breaking the knee down below.

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorites is the block using "Hold the Ball" and then going directly into one of the "Grasping Sparrows Tail" movements depending on how they respond. You can get, dislocated shoulder, snaped neck, or broken rib cage, or countless other options. And who says Tai Chi can't be used for self defense?

Another one from my Wing Chun and fencing days is the "feint with second intention". Throw a slow sloppy punch at their face crossing your centerline forcing them to block across their centerline (Beware of those ready for this) then turn swing the fist down and around into a quick backfist to their face once it becomes clear of obstructions.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
dmax999 said:
One of my favorites is the block using "Hold the Ball" and then going directly into one of the "Grasping Sparrows Tail" movements depending on how they respond. You can get, dislocated shoulder, snaped neck, or broken rib cage, or countless other options. And who says Tai Chi can't be used for self defense?

Another one from my Wing Chun and fencing days is the "feint with second intention". Throw a slow sloppy punch at their face crossing your centerline forcing them to block across their centerline (Beware of those ready for this) then turn swing the fist down and around into a quick backfist to their face once it becomes clear of obstructions.
1. thanks for responding to the thread
2. using tai chi? that's interesting. i actually need to start thinking about the tai chi forms in chi sau, maybe this will make me superior to my opponents since no one in my class wakes up early enough to go to tai chi. good tip thanks.
3. this is like a mind game. you are dragging their attention away from first that they have just blocked. good deal.

Wing Chun Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i) upon getting ur elbow trapped/too close in to your body, come down with the elbow from the other arm (cup jarn) to squash all the remains of their tangled hands, followed by finger strike coming from underneath your cup jarn elbow by surprise towards their eyes, making them back off and give u some elbow space. after the finger strike to eyes, a good follow up is a low punch with the opposite hand.

ii) in a more spacious fight, as an opponent enters kicking dinstance, do a front sidekick to their ribs (while standing square on to them), followed by chain punches to the face as they stumble into you head first after your kick. (i saw a clip of bruce lee doing this in sparring - perfectly executed and it was like the opponent had just been bombarded with missiles on their way in, immediately stumbling back all dizzy)

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Another perspective of the release on the Elbow to close to the body is-In Tai chi/paqua we put our heal down from the bijong stance.This grants 5" in distance (without actualy giving up ground)To turn the body & bong sau(this is a hitting bongsau not the blocking) to hands that were pinninig or arms If they follow you in the event you try the (respond to the echo attack)

Wing Chun Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
maybe it's because im too inexperienced or maybe a difference in our styles or both, but i've never heard of the bijong stance, nor the respond to the echo attack

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm personally a big fan of lok choy (wheel punch) and so guerk (sweep kick) so I would probably say a flurry of jik choy (straight punches) then quickly so guerk their front leg a follow up with a sow choy or pek choy (variations of lok choy) using my knuckles to strike their temple or forearm to block/counter.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Respond to the echo simply means when the attacking punch or kick starts to retrack-you respond & conture thier body & hit back.This is the echo effect like a bats sonic sounds.The bijong is a epie stance with slight veriation to enable mobility to burst-pendulum-side step-step & slide & retreat.These were common uses for the JKD players.Though it apears not to be 100% Wing Chun.Change & evolution must take place in all things.Bruce took out the regular ways to be more united.The forms & motions to Bruce-left no room for self exploring.It only left a way to imatate or look like the founding art.To Bruce this had no way possable to let the practioner to evolve to self exspresion of the total body.He saaid fighting in forms are like fighting in a box.To say your box is better then this box-separates the arts.To Unite we must look at how we hit,Having 2 arms & 2 legs-we all punch & kick the same.We punch in a round line -straight line-curve line.Unless we grow 2 more arms & legs we cant punch or kick any differant.Hence we can not punch chinese or japanese or any other ethnic.