Martial Arts forum Fallacies

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here are a few, there are many others, feel free to add more (I didn't think about it too much :D ):

Appeal to force: Yeah, well why don't you fly half way across the country and come see for yourself (at your expense).

False Dilemma: Which is better, Striking or grappling? Neither? Well then I don't have to do both, my one will beat the other :p

From Ignorance: Chi can't be proven false, therefore chi balls are real...

Prejudicial Language: McDojo's do .....

Attacking the person: What's your rank? How old are you? I'm not gonna argue with a 15 year old blue belt, come back in 20 years.

Appeal to Authority: Grandmaster xxx says.... and he once fought 20 armed men without dropping his groceries....

Anonymous Authority: It was proven on the battlefield hundreds of years ago

Unrepresentative sample: I've seen 2 real fights and ..... happened, therefore that is how all street fights are.

Inconsistency: I don't need to train grappling, my .... training teaches me to counter takedowns.

Popularity: ST00p1d N00b!!

Appeal to Pity: I've been training for years despite .... dissability. I was beat up really bad as a kid.... I joined this McDojo.....

Complex Question: Do you belong to a reputable school with a Lineage back to Asia?

Slippery Slope: If you break with tradition there is no way to know if what you do works.

Slothful Induction: Everyone from x style that has entered competition has lost, but it isn't the style, it was weak competitors. The good ones never compete.

Fallacy of Exclusion: 95% of fights go to the ground (From a police stat of officer involved instances)

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...now how on earth did I post this in the Chinese MA section...?

oops... where's the embarrassed smilie...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Without Appeal to Authority. most traditional arts would collapse!

I've seen the Appeal to Force more times than I care to consider. Sure, maybe someone else could beat me up...does that mean his system is better, or just that he is?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's the ever useful:

"Style X sux"
"No it doesn't"
"Oh yeah? Check out this one video from a Dutch tournament I found in the internet. Video is fact, dude."

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
There's the ever useful:

"Style X sux"
"No it doesn't"
"Oh yeah? Check out this one video from a Dutch tournament I found in the internet. Video is fact, dude."
That would be "Unrepresentative sample" :D

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"Appeal to force" - Could also be called "let's test empirically... I'm poor". I don't see it as a neccessairily fallactious approach, but it's gonna depend on the circumstance.

"Attacking the person" - Technical term: ad hominym
"Anonymous Authority" - Sounds more like an unproven assertion (facts not in evidence), which could then be validated with support than an actual fallacious piece of logic.
"Unrepresentative sample" - Technical term: Anticdotal. I think a more dangerous version is to look at one type of situation (say MMA competitions) and assume they apply out to another.
"Popularity" - Is acutually "everyone agrees so it's true". "St00p1d n00b" seems more of an ad hominym
Slippery Slope - I don't think you have a good example of that there.

Generally a good list though.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Here are a few, there are many others, feel free to add more (I didn't think about it too much :D ):

Appeal to force: Yeah, well why don't you fly half way across the country and come see for yourself (at your expense).

False Dilemma: Which is better, Striking or grappling? Neither? Well then I don't have to do both, my one will beat the other :p

From Ignorance: Chi can't be proven false, therefore chi balls are real...

Prejudicial Language: McDojo's do .....

Attacking the person: What's your rank? How old are you? I'm not gonna argue with a 15 year old blue belt, come back in 20 years.

Appeal to Authority: Grandmaster xxx says.... and he once fought 20 armed men without dropping his groceries....

Anonymous Authority: It was proven on the battlefield hundreds of years ago

Unrepresentative sample: I've seen 2 real fights and ..... happened, therefore that is how all street fights are.

Inconsistency: I don't need to train grappling, my .... training teaches me to counter takedowns.

Popularity: ST00p1d N00b!!

Appeal to Pity: I've been training for years despite .... dissability. I was beat up really bad as a kid.... I joined this McDojo.....

Complex Question: Do you belong to a reputable school with a Lineage back to Asia?

Slippery Slope: If you break with tradition there is no way to know if what you do works.

Slothful Induction: Everyone from x style that has entered competition has lost, but it isn't the style, it was weak competitors. The good ones never compete.

Fallacy of Exclusion: 95% of fights go to the ground (From a police stat of officer involved instances)

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!!!!!:rofl:

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are wrong because:

1. Amazingly Bad Analogy:
Example: You can train a dog to fetch a stick, therefore you can train a potato to dance

2. Faulty Cause and Effect:
Example: On the basis of my observations, wearing huge pants makes you fat.

3. I Am the World:
Example: I don't listen to country music. Therefore, country music isn't popular.

4. Ignoring Everything Science Knows About the Brain:
Example: People choose to be obese/gay/alcoholic because they prefer the lifestyle.

5. The Few Are The Same As The Whole:
Example: Some Elbonians are animal rights activists. Some Elbonians wear fur coats. Therefore, Elbonians are hypocrites.

6. Generalizing From Self:
Example: I'm a liar. Therefore, I don't believe what you're saying.

7. Argument By Bizarre Definition:
Example: He's not a criminal. He just does things that are against the law.

8. Total Logical Disconnect:
Example: I enjoy pasta because my house is made out of bricks.

9. Judging Things Without Comparison To Alternatives:
Example: I don't invest in U.S. Treasury Bills. There's too much risk.

10. Anything You Don't Understand Is Easy To Do:
Example: If you have the right tools, how hard can it be to generate nuclear fission at home?

11. Ignorance Of All Statistics:
Example: I'm putting all my money in the lottery this week because the jackpot is so big.

12. Ignoring the Downside Risk:
Example: I know that bungee jumping could kill me, but it's three seconds of great fun!

13. Substituting Famous Quotes For Common Sense:
Example: Remember, "All things come to those who wait." So don't bother looking for a job.

14. Irrelevant Comparisons:
Example: A hundred dollars is a good price for a toaster, compared to buying a Ferrari.

15. Circular Reasoning:
Example: I'm correct because I'm smarter than you. And I must be smarter than you because I'm correct.

16. Incompleteness As Proof Of Defect:
Example: Your theory of gravity doesn't explain why there are no unicorns, therefore it must be wrong.

17. Ignoring the Advice of Experts Without a Good Reason:
Example: Sure, the experts think you shouldn't ride your bicycle into the eye of a hurricane, but I have my own theory.

18. Following the Advice of Known Idiots:
Example: Uncle Billy says pork makes you smarter. That's good enough for me.

19. Reaching Bizarre Conclusions Without Any Information:
Example: The car won't start. I'm certain the spark plugs have been stolen by rogue clowns.

20. Faulty Pattern Recognition:
Example: His last six wives were murdered mysteriously. I hope to be wife number seven.

21. Failure to Recognize What's Important:
Example: My house is on fire! Quick, call the post office and tell them to hold my mail!

22. Unclear on the Concept of Sunk Costs:
Example: We've spent millions in developing a water-powered pogo-stick. We can't stop investing now, or it will all be wasted!

23. Overapplication of Occam's Razor(which states that the simplest explanation is usually right):
Example: The simplest explanation for the moon landings is that they were hoaxes.

24. Ignoring All Anecdotal Evidence:
Example: I always get hives after eating strawberries. But without a scientifically controlled experiment, it's not reliable data. So I continue to eat strawberries everyday, since I can't tell that they cause hives.

25. Inability to Understand that Some Things Have Multiple Causes:
Example: The Beatles were popular for only one reason: They were good singers.

Latest Discussions