Martial Arts Expert Killed in Durban, South Africa.....

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find that scenario a lot less likely, personally. It's one of those that I often see "it could happen" but nobody can ever provide a story where someone was carrying a gun for protection and had it grabbed off their body and used against them.

Even if such a story was found, I would consider it such a rare occurrence compared to the number of times guns are successfully used in self defense that it would be a nonfactor in my strategy.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I posted an article that pointed to 25 times where a victim disarmed an attacker armed with a gun and used that gun to drive off the attacker...I'll find it in the Basement and post it...

Or his attacker might have used it against him.

If you read actual self-defense stories about attacks, you will see that victims, attacked from ambush, and grabbed, stabbed or shot, still manage to draw their weapon and fight off or kill the criminal...You just have to go to the sites that collect those news stories...you won't see much about them in the regular, national media, usually they are isolated at the local level...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
On gun owners being disarmed...generally a myth...

Disarming the Myths Promoted By the Gun Control Lobby - Forbes

Whereas gun control proponents often argue that having a gun put people at risk because a criminal will take it away and use it against them, it seems the reality is more often to be the reverse situation. The Cato data contains only 11 stories out of 4,699 where a criminal took a gun away from a defender, but 277 where the intended victim disarmed the bad guy, although the authors acknowledge that these event reports may be printed more frequently due to newsworthiness.

Still, it should also be remembered that the threatened party often has more motivation to fight back than a criminal hoping for an easy score. There were 25 news reports where armed rape attack victims ultimately got the upper hand, and 65 where this occurred in carjacking attempts.

So, even though you have to dig in order to find the stories, average joe good guys use guns to fight off armed criminals all the time...you don't here these stories a lot because the media is anti-gun by personality type, and they don't give these stories national coverage...

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I posted an article that pointed to 25 times where a victim disarmed an attacker armed with a gun and used that gun to drive off the attacker...I'll find it in the Basement and post it...

If you read actual self-defense stories about attacks, you will see that victims, attacked from ambush, and grabbed, stabbed or shot, still manage to draw their weapon and fight off or kill the criminal...You just have to go to the sites that collect those news stories...you won't see much about them in the regular, national media, usually they are isolated at the local level...

Would not George Zimmerman be a prime example?