Kubatan a Deadly Weapon, MA Expert Tells Court

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/164760/Darren-Day-caught-with-a-killer-flail-

A MARTIAL arts expert yesterday told a court a self-defence tool allegedly carried by entertainer Darren Day when he was arrested for drinkdriving could be a lethal weapon.

In a “worst-case scenario, I could kill someone with that,” PC Liam Fitzpatrick, a trainer with 30 years of combat experience, told Edinburgh Sheriff Court.

Even an untrained person could cause severe injury, he added. Actor and singer Day, 41, is accused of having an offensive weapon in a public place in Edinburgh in December. He denies the charge.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine he needs it to defend himself from all the women he's jilted and two timed.
It certainly is a deadly weapon in the right hands, if you think it's not you don't know how to use one lol!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I imagine he needs it to defend himself from all the women he's jilted and two timed.
It certainly is a deadly weapon in the right hands, if you think it's not you don't know how to use one lol!

I don't doubt it can be used as a deadly weapon. But if that is true, then a coffee cup is a deadly weapon, as is a cell phone, car keys, an ink pen, a shrubbery, clump of dirt, a rock, you know, pretty much everything you can pick up and whack someone with or shove up their jaxie or down their throat.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My wife bought me a metal spork for my birthday as a gag gift, do you think I could get away with carrying it for self-defense if when caught with it I always said it was because I like using it when I eat out? Lord.

My finger's a deadly weapon, maybe I shouldn't be allowed to carry it in public.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't doubt it can be used as a deadly weapon. But if that is true, then a coffee cup is a deadly weapon, as is a cell phone, car keys, an ink pen, a shrubbery, clump of dirt, a rock, you know, pretty much everything you can pick up and whack someone with or shove up their jaxie or down their throat.

I think the difference, legally speaking, is that those things are items with a non violent purpose, while a kubatan is designed to be a weapon which has no non-violent purposes.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it could be just as easily said that it could be used as a personal...umm...device (the one without the spikes) or small bulb hole maker or even just a keyfob. I have a kitchen drawer with a bunch of butter knives that could do some serious damage; but, I use them to spread butter and jam and marshmallow fluff.

Where does intent enter into this? I hadn't noticed anything about the uys intentions.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the difference, legally speaking, is that those things are items with a non violent purpose, while a kubatan is designed to be a weapon which has no non-violent purposes.

OMG, I had a zillion non-violent uses for mine.

Safety-glass breaker (never actually used it for this).

Long rigid thing with ridges or protrusions that I can use to tightly hold my keys, when I have to. When I was in broadcasting and on the top of 50+ story buildings in all kinds of weather, I held that damn kubaton in a deathgrip....especially when I had to go scrape ice off the microwave dishes. That was always done in the nastiest weather. The winds on the roof of the tallest skyscrapers in the city are nothing like what one experiences down below.

Ice breaker (literally) to crack and break up ice collected on open-air (rooftop) access points/stairways.

Rigid pointy thing that I used to poke open boxes when I didn't have a blade.

Metal thing that I used to scrape mud out of the tread of my hiking boots/work boots when I started slipping.

Metal thing that I used to pound on a machine room door to get the attention of folks that couldn't hear me knocking with my bare muscles.

Nitrogen tank checker to confirm a tank is spent. Swing the kubotan against the tank and compare the tone of the "klunk" with the the tanks that are known to be full. The spent tanks usually have a higher "klunk" than the full tanks.

Long thing that allowed me to hook my keys in to a metal cage at eye level, so the other engineers could see it them too and borrow them when they needed machine room access...and also gave us instant confirmation as to whether someone was in the machine room or not. If we could see that monstrosity of a keyring, there was no one in the machine room. If we couldn't see it, there likely was someone in the machine room.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I went to a baseball game with my family. As it was summer, I was in shorts and carrying everything in a fanny pack over my shoulder. I hadn't been to SkyDome in years, so it never occurred to me that I would by checked by security, and I was left with no choice but to take a long walk back to the car or toss my kubotan in the trash. I did the latter.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't forget you can open Beer with one, the best use I have found for them. Damn thing cluters my keychain so now I have a nasty keychain knife and usually carry 1-2 real, honest to God dedicated weapons because yes they are intended to maim or kill anyone who would attack me and mine.

Lucky for me I live in Virginia, a very pro self defense place and a very pro gun palce as well (Old Town Yuppies do not count JKS=)

To convict and punish a man for carry a damn Kubaton, now that is that good o'l European law and thinking we need to be free of in the US.

There is allready Europe for those who want to live in an unarmed society.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darran Day is a serial drunk driver as well as a drug user, he was banned from driving for 18 months in August 2008. this time he hit a lamp post, it could have been a child or a bus queue, woman with a pram or another vehicle, he didn't stop and didn't reoport the accident. There isn't a copper I know that doesn't hate drunk drivers and the damage they cause so if you stop one you check them and their vehicle for everything that you can, if you find something like this you add it too the charges he's done for. A kubotan with the sharp pointed ends as I've seen over here can certainly be a lethal weapon. so he's had the book thrown at him. If Day had been sober when driving no one would have known he carried it.
Being a copper in Scotland certainly qualifies as combat experience, try being in the middle of an Orange March with the 'Fenians' the other side, or much the same, policing a soccer match. In the BBC report it doesn't say anything about the police officer saying he had combat experience.
I would like to see Day locked up before he does kill someone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8582526.stm

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of the fish vendor who whacked a customer with a big raw tuna and got charged with attack with a deadly weapon...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget you can open Beer with one, the best use I have found for them. Damn thing cluters my keychain so now I have a nasty keychain knife and usually carry 1-2 real, honest to God dedicated weapons because yes they are intended to maim or kill anyone who would attack me and mine.

Lucky for me I live in Virginia, a very pro self defense place and a very pro gun palce as well (Old Town Yuppies do not count JKS=)

To convict and punish a man for carry a damn Kubaton, now that is that good o'l European law and thinking we need to be free of in the US.

There is allready Europe for those who want to live in an unarmed society.

I've explained why he's being done for it and it's a bit more serious than merely carrying a kubotan, if you can't see that I assume you must also think it's okay to drink drive and your country, crash your car, drive away and think you can get away with it. You can't so he's being done for anything that that can to hopefully teach him a lesson and stop him breaking the law yet again. If he's had no tax, insurance, lights out, bald tyres he would have been done for them too, as I said he gets the book thrown at him.
He's going to be sentenced for the drunk driving, failing to stop and failing to report an accident later, this is merely the icing on the cake for the general public and serve him bloody right.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A herring??!!

Attachments

• $MP010107-a-NI-frame--000204.jpg
    $MP010107-a-NI-frame--000204.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 193

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep. Saw an off-duty Marine use a coffee cup in a fight.

You know, the way the world is going, all the average person is going to be left with to defend themselves is sticks. Until trees are made illegal.

Latest Discussions