Martial Arts Are Crap, Says The Man

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There's five native languages spoken in the UK, Cornish, Welsh, Scot's Gaelic, Irish Gaelic and Manx with a fair few dialects as well. And then there's this...Doric which is how my father speaks, even now he lives with us in North Yorkshire, at 90 the Doric is getting stronger not less. It was the bane of my life when we moved from London to Aberdeen as a child, I would have had an easier time if I'd moved to Europe. Scotslanguage.com - Fit Like Is't?
http://www.doricdictionary.com/all-words/

There's sometimes I hear folks from the U.K. And I'm like "are they even speaking English?" But then we do have a couple of dialects in the US that stretch it a bit.

Ts often get left out too. Ever hear a Brit say "water bottle?"

Wa'er ba'ul.

ep391

White Belt
Reaction score
It's like rock paper scissors .. gun will beat fists, but gun won't beat prision.

And when he is in jail getting passed around like an old news paper, he will think of one word to sum it up.. irony

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's like rock paper scissors .. gun will beat fists, but gun won't beat prision.

And when he is in jail getting passed around like an old news paper, he will think of one word to sum it up.. irony

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That's if they don't get shot dead on site by the police. It's a rather sad way to die trying to prove a point.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ts often get left out too. Ever hear a Brit say "water bottle?"

No I'm afraid you're wrong, people from Essex ( which includes part of London) miss Ts out, the rest of us don't. My other half is from Yorkshire where T is very much pronounced, in fact they don't say water they call it 'watter' to rhyme with latter, comes from their Viking ancestors, up here many words are Norse.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No I'm afraid you're wrong, people from Essex ( which includes part of London) miss Ts out, the rest of us don't. My other half is from Yorkshire where T is very much pronounced, in fact they don't say water they call it 'watter' to rhyme with latter, comes from their Viking ancestors, up here many words are Norse.

Not a fan of the cockney accent and dialect then Tez?

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
yeah it should say there is no such thing as 'English' just 'low-Saxon'

also a lot of the supposed 'Americanisms' are actually more original preservations of english at the time they went over to America. Apparently there was a lot of French isms artificially put into English after it had gone to America as it was trendy at the time or something.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah it should say there is no such thing as 'English' just 'low-Saxon'

also a lot of the supposed 'Americanisms' are actually more original preservations of english at the time they went over to America. Apparently there was a lot of French isms artificially put into English after it had gone to America as it was trendy at the time or something.

I wouldn't know since I don't know what expressions you are talking about. But a lot of French came into the language from the Norman invasion. A lot of other languages left their imprint due to various invasions, some repelled, some absorbed.

I think that is why we have a lot of words that essentially mean the same thing, usually with a slightly different connotation. I know that is true as I saw a TV special on it, so no argument Tez3. ;)

BTW, this is better said than read, but have you heard of the hapless British submariner who was a British Navy wide renowned speller. His sub was on a courtesy visit to Boston when his mates found out there was a spelling bee being held. They browbeat him into entering.

He shamefully returned defeated during the first round. His mates were astounded! They asked what happened and he sheepishly replied, "Ow the ell did ay know oss piss was spelled ay you s pee ay cee e?"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Ow the ell did ay know oss piss was spelled ay you s pee ay cee e?"

'osses' are horses here in Yorkshire. The language the Normans spoke was Norman French, heavily influenced by Norse, they'd only been in France for about a hundred years before the Norman Invasion. The North of England was mostly Norse speaking, many words remain today. The Anglo-Saxon spoken in the non Norse part of England was very different to the English we know now.
"Hwæt we garde-na ingear dagum, þeod cyningaþrym ge frunon huða æþelingas elle fremedon.
( Lo! We, of the Spear Dan in days of yore, of those great kings,of their power heard, how those prince's deeds of valour accomplished.) From Beowulf written in 1000CE.

Rather than French, Latin which was read and spoken by church men as well as the academics influenced English more. It was an influence on Anglo-Saxon before it turned into English. Today learning Latin in school has shown to help children with their English.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
'osses' are horses here in Yorkshire. The language the Normans spoke was Norman French, heavily influenced by Norse, they'd only been in France for about a hundred years before the Norman Invasion. The North of England was mostly Norse speaking, many words remain today. The Anglo-Saxon spoken in the non Norse part of England was very different to the English we know now.
"Hwæt we garde-na ingear dagum, þeod cyningaþrym ge frunon huða æþelingas elle fremedon.
( Lo! We, of the Spear Dan in days of yore, of those great kings,of their power heard, how those prince's deeds of valour accomplished.) From Beowulf written in 1000CE.

Rather than French, Latin which was read and spoken by church men as well as the academics influenced English more. It was an influence on Anglo-Saxon before it turned into English. Today learning Latin in school has shown to help children with their English.

Thanks for the info. I have learned more about English dialects here on MT than any other way in the rest of my life. I am surprised learning Latin helps in learning English other than perhaps by just sharping the student's ability to learn. The reason I say that is there aren't that many cognates, and there are major differences in structure. Latin has way more cases as far as I know, and uses them extensively. English only has three. Latin lacks a definite article, while having an indefinite article. It is inflected while English is only slightly so. I will have to think some on that. But if it does, maybe I need to get my grandkids some Latin books. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are people from Essex Brits? Are Londoners Brits?

If they aren't, then I'm wrong.

Then again, the overwhelming majority of Brits I know are from London or very close.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are people from Essex Brits? Are Londoners Brits?

If they aren't, then I'm wrong.

Then again, the overwhelming majority of Brits I know are from London or very close.

When you say 'Brits speak like this' you're wrong I'm afraid. Every single area of the UK has a very different dialect and/or accent, it makes it very easy here to tell where someone comes from. Within the UK there's different languages as well as different dialects. Someone from Wales sounds very different from someone from London who again sounds very different from someone from the Midlands. Then again Great Britain isn't the same thing as the United Kingdom. Great Britain is the geographical area and the United Kingdom is the political area which doesn't include some places that GB does such as the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. Cities will have different accents from the surrounding areas ( often softer), you can't mistake an Ulsterman for a Dublin man. Someone from North Riding of Yorkshire sounds different from someone from the West Riding. All sound very different from Essex and London ( even in London north London sounds different from south London). Up in Shetland they speak English to visitors but have their own Norse type language they speak among themselves, in the Orkneys and Western Isles they have the Gaelic ( in Scotland one has the Gaelic not speak it). If we hear someone speak we can tell exactly where they come from.