Martial arts and social vices

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not only that, the longer you drink regularly the more your brain gets excited if you stop suddenly. This can suddenly kill you if you drink too much.

I gave up drinking a while back for overall health purposes and to train better. A couple beers with friends, maybe now and then. My party days are kind of over, not that I am that fun to begin with.

Besides it's cheaper and more useful to get your dope from exercise IMHO. Kung fu taught me that.
True, but I don't think this is a concern for skribs.
You are both correct. Alcohol is the most dangerous drug to detox from. However, I'll have a few shots a few times a week, and maybe social drink a night or two a week. It's not like I'm even getting drunk, let alone doing so often enough to develop a dependency.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. I have had that reaction to some of the super hoppy IPA's that have been all the rage in US craft brew circles for something like 20 years now, but not as a first reaction to my first beer.
In the U.K. you are only permitted to drink such beers if you have a scraggly beard, a tweed jackets (with leather elbow pad) and smoke a pipe.
Soft drinks, at least American soft drinks like Coca Cola
(U.K.) Diet coke cola is one of my vices but I limit myself to no more one can per day, and not everyday! I think it’s less sweet than regular coke and horribly sweet Pepsi.
I remember having some sort of fizzy lemon flavored soft drink the last time I was in the UK that wasn't bad,
Sounds like Sprite…
but in general if I'm not drinking water it's going to be unsweetened tea, unsweetened coffee, or pretty rarely these days, an alcoholic beverage. I guess I'll also occasionally have an Arnold Palmer (1/2 lemonade and 1/2 iced tea).
I just ordered some premium sencha from Ippodo in Kyoto 🤤

Do you have shandy in the USA? Half larger, half lemonade?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are both correct. Alcohol is the most dangerous drug to detox from. However, I'll have a few shots a few times a week, and maybe social drink a night or two a week. It's not like I'm even getting drunk, let alone doing so often enough to develop a dependency.
You sound like a sensible drinker!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have terrible sleep problems that just get worse as I get older. One of the main reasons I rarely drink alcohol anymore is this right here ^. I can usually get to sleep, but staying asleep is tough. Alcohol can make this much worse.
I have the opposite problem - I can’t stay awake especially on a training days. I can literally lie down any time and fall asleep.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
(U.K.) Diet coke cola is one of my vices but I limit myself to no more one can per day, and not everyday! I think it’s less sweet than regular coke and horribly sweet Pepsi.
I can't stand most of the fake sweeteners. The erythritol/stevia blends aren't completely awful, but that doesn't make me a big fan.

Sounds like Sprite…
Definitely not Sprite, that's a Coke product and it's all over the US and maybe my least favorite soda, it just tastes of floor cleaner to me.

Looking around, it might have been Schweppe's Lemonade? But it wasn't artificially sweetened. I guess this would have been before the Soft Drinks Industry Levy, so maybe they were using sugar then. If it wasn't Schweppe's then it was something kind of like that, but maybe less sweet and definitely sugar sweetened. Whatever it was, it seemed like it was everywhere at the time.

Do you have shandy in the USA? Half larger, half lemonade?
Not as a general rule. You'll sometimes see it at an English styled pub, but it's not very common here, at least not on the west coast or the southwest.

I've had one in England and wasn't a fan but that was a long time ago, I'd probably try it again.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
True, but I don't think this is a concern for skribs.
I think it's more of a universal concern. A lot of people in rehab probably never intended to get there.

Ip Man and opium. Leung Kwan, same thing. One died old and frail, the other killed himself overtraining.

Smoking anything and training just doesn't mix. But I can understand why Skribs is having trouble.

Hardest habit I ever dropped, being on smoko.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's more of a universal concern. A lot of people in rehab probably never intended to get there.

Ip Man and opium. Leung Kwan, same thing. One died old and frail, the other killed himself overtraining.

Smoking anything and training just doesn't mix. But I can understand why Skribs is having trouble.

The specific concern, of going through withdrawal, is not one that skribs strikes me as having, is what I was saying. Obviously that can change in the future for any of us. But for the moment it's irrelevent; I only mentioned the relevant thing of how it impacts sleep since that's what he directly said was a concern.

I'm fully aware of the risks involved with alcohol use (or opium too, or over-exercising). I can, and have, given at least 2 hour talks on each of those. But this doesn't seem like a place to be lecturing people and there's a lot of steps between a nightcap and dying via withdrawals.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The specific concern, of going through withdrawal, is not one that skribs strikes me as having, is what I was saying. Obviously that can change in the future for any of us. But for the moment it's irrelevent; I only mentioned the relevant thing of how it impacts sleep since that's what he directly said was a concern.

I'm fully aware of the risks involved with alcohol use (or opium too, or over-exercising). I can, and have, given at least 2 hour talks on each of those. But this doesn't seem like a place to be lecturing people and there's a lot of steps between a nightcap and dying via withdrawals.
I don't think was referring to Skribs when I wrote it, I was referring more to the topic itself, martial arts and vices.

Vices kind of implies danger IMHO and there's a pretty good history out there of martial artists who get into trouble with such stuff back in the day, and currently. So maybe it does come with the territory...that's how I saw Skribs OP. He asked why he drinks and smokes now because of MA, instead of MA keeping him away.

I totally emphasize. I picked up a bad fast food addiction after I started training kung fu. The carb cravings were unreal.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I once read an interview with Ozzy Osbourne where he was talking about his addictions. He said he had overcome heroine, cocaine, alcohol addiction…everything…except smoking tobacco. He just couldn’t shake ciagerettes.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I once read an interview with Ozzy Osbourne where he was talking about his addictions. He said he had overcome heroine, cocaine, alcohol addiction…everything…except smoking tobacco. He just couldn’t shake ciagerettes.
I've had two different friends who were ex-heroine addicts tell me that quitting smoking was much harder than quitting heroine.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
word is that Asians don't get to be alcoholics like caucasian folks (that info is a couple of decades old, but came from an expert in the field - of addiction)
So I am not sure how all the drunken master stories came about.
Then I think about mu Sabum.
The hardest he would touch was sweet tea and he's probably have a comeapart over candy cigs. Then again, there were very few members over 21 at the school.
And we had to drive home after.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
word is that Asians don't get to be alcoholics like caucasian folks (that info is a couple of decades old, but came from an expert in the field - of addiction)
So I am not sure how all the drunken master stories came about.
Then I think about mu Sabum.
The hardest he would touch was sweet tea and he's probably have a comeapart over candy cigs. Then again, there were very few members over 21 at the school.
And we had to drive home after.
Some percent of asians, the number varies depending on who's doing the study, but somewhere between one third to one half, have trouble breaking down alcohol. There's a couple of enzymes that are key to breaking down alcohol, and one of those enzymes is defective in some way for those asians. So they flush noticably, which can be embarrassing, might make them throw up with only a little bit, which is also embarrassing, might get a headache/get dizzy, and the effects in general (ie: drunkenness) are stronger and/or last longer.

Likely as a result of this (though it's tough to prove the reason) there's much less alcohol abuse/binge drinking and alcoholism in asian populations compared to other races.

But, and this is pure speculation on my end, it's also probably the explanation for the drunken master. If I like a beer at the end of the day, or some sake, but even one drink will make me flush and a bit dizzy, to an outsider it'll probably look like I'm a drunkard. So people see that, assume asians can't handle their liquor (or drink a ton) and a stereotype is born.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some percent of asians, the number varies depending on who's doing the study, but somewhere between one third to one half, have trouble breaking down alcohol. There's a couple of enzymes that are key to breaking down alcohol, and one of those enzymes is defective in some way for those asians. So they flush noticably, which can be embarrassing, might make them throw up with only a little bit, which is also embarrassing, might get a headache/get dizzy, and the effects in general (ie: drunkenness) are stronger and/or last longer.

Likely as a result of this (though it's tough to prove the reason) there's much less alcohol abuse/binge drinking and alcoholism in asian populations compared to other races.

But, and this is pure speculation on my end, it's also probably the explanation for the drunken master. If I like a beer at the end of the day, or some sake, but even one drink will make me flush and a bit dizzy, to an outsider it'll probably look like I'm a drunkard. So people see that, assume asians can't handle their liquor (or drink a ton) and a stereotype is born.
This reminds me, I heard gingers have to get more anesthesia than others normally get. Could be a myth but I heard they require higher doses. Idk why.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

then again, as I recall, the deal was about addiction.
Not about getting absolutely pie-faced and waking up the next day all good.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Acetaldehyde dehydrogenase is less functional in some East Asians. I went out with a girl who’s mother was Chinese and father, white Caucasia. She became drunk quickly, flushed and found it very unpleasant. She was a cheap date as she avoided alcohol!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This reminds me, I heard gingers have to get more anesthesia than others normally get. Could be a myth but I heard they require higher doses. Idk why.
Ah yes, I remember that, too! But it was a small study with only women amongst the subjects.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
then again, as I recall, the deal was about addiction.
Not about getting absolutely pie-faced and waking up the next day all good.
So they can get addicted, but when you have those negative things happen, you're more likely to avoid alcohol, which (theoretically) means you're less likely to become an alcoholic. And asians in general are significantly less likely than other races/ethnicities to become addicted to alcohol; that's one theory why (and the one I believe, personally).

Latest Discussions