Martial arts and diabetes

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I've been pretty bad this last week with a cold and I have been going to the bathroom a lot more lately but I have been drinking more fluids because of the cold but my wife is a diabetic and suggested I take my blood sugar levels and I did and they were very very high. I'm going to the doctors in the morning since my mum was also a diabetic so best to check.

Obviously it might not be and there's a number of things that it could be. But of course that doesn't stop the worrying, stupid to dwell on it I know but hey that's me.

Also it was not straight after a meal or anything like that.

The main worry is that it'll affect my training and I won't be able to do as much because of it. I just wondered if people had any experiences with it. Of course this is something ill ask the doctors myself but just thought I'd put it out there. The main reason of worry is as I said my mum suffered with it and I know how badly it affected her life at the end

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
if it is Diabetes it shouldn't stop you from practising Martial Arts, you will just need to take extra precautions for it such as monitoring your diet and taking insulin, depending on if it is type 1 or type 2 diabetes. You may need to reduce the amount of training you do temporarily while your body adjusts to this but after that you should be fine.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have type 2 diabetes. I take 2000mg metformin plus 5mg farxiga daily. It's fine to do MA with diabetes. If you're diagnosed, get your med under control, make sure your instructor knows.

If you have neuropathy you'll need to monitor your feet carefully to avoid amputation.

On the plus side, cold dojo floors won't bother you. Broken toes hurt a bit less.

Go see the doctor. You need your a1c, which you can't get from the home kit.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
my original master Chris Sparkes (TAGB/UTAW) - ITF TKD was diabetic - I don't know much about diabetes but his was the type that could make you heavier I think - he was a big man, but he trained all week and reached 5th Dan so it is definitely possible - though I think he had to be very strict with his injections.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my original master Chris Sparkes (TAGB/UTAW) - ITF TKD was diabetic - I don't know much about diabetes but his was the type that could make you heavier I think - he was a big man, but he trained all week and reached 5th Dan so it is definitely possible - though I think he had to be very strict with his injections.

The Clash of the Titans and Welsh kickboxing Chris Sparkes? Impressive!

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cheers everyone. Update went to the doctor today they didn't say much. They reminded me I only get tested a couple months ago and it was all clear but I'm doing a glucose tolerance test next week to find out. But whatever happens happens and I'll make the best I can out of it

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I've been pretty bad this last week with a cold and I have been going to the bathroom a lot more lately but I have been drinking more fluids because of the cold but my wife is a diabetic and suggested I take my blood sugar levels and I did and they were very very high. I'm going to the doctors in the morning since my mum was also a diabetic so best to check.

Obviously it might not be and there's a number of things that it could be. But of course that doesn't stop the worrying, stupid to dwell on it I know but hey that's me.

Also it was not straight after a meal or anything like that.

The main worry is that it'll affect my training and I won't be able to do as much because of it. I just wondered if people had any experiences with it. Of course this is something ill ask the doctors myself but just thought I'd put it out there. The main reason of worry is as I said my mum suffered with it and I know how badly it affected her life at the end
I think your doctor will tell you to get more exercise, not less. The exercise should be more in the cardiovascular type thought.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Clash of the Titans and Welsh kickboxing Chris Sparkes? Impressive!

yeah that's the one :) - he was a very funny and great Sabum. A lot of my classes were with Jez Weeks and Kevin Douche, but during the latter part of my training it was Master Sparkes a good bit, and we always graded under him in Swansea.

I found these old photos of him -

I have the Combat issue with him on it

C%201999-03%20Cov.jpg

letting Gassor Axe kick him here :p -

F%201996-12%20Cov.jpg

I still have the Korean flag from our class on my wall in my parental home, and the Danbong (half staff with rope) he gave me.

I think unfortunately the TKD element of the club got less and less as everyone wanted to do straight Kickboxing, which is fair enough, but I know Chris Sparkes really liked his patterns and bunkai/interpretation of them. I'm not sure but I don't think UTAW exists anymore but descendents of it exist in various Kickboxing Wales clubs I believe.

I used to always remember stuff he'd do like you'd be in a horse stance and he'd sneak up behind you and turning kick you in the stomach to make sure you were tensing enough :eek:. He used to also always say if people whinged during training 'If you're gonna train like fairies, you'll fight like fairies' in his deep voice haha

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well to update you if anyone cares if not ignore this and click back to the main forum.

Turns out I do have it...and I'm not exactly happy about it but not much I can do about it. Will have to get everything sorted out but well I'll just have to do my best with what I have and hey since I'll have to adjust my diet it may even make me healthier in that area

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well to update you if anyone cares if not ignore this and click back to the main forum.

Turns out I do have it...and I'm not exactly happy about it but not much I can do about it. Will have to get everything sorted out but well I'll just have to do my best with what I have and hey since I'll have to adjust my diet it may even make me healthier in that area

One of my co-workers is in his mid 30s and has diabetes. He is in great shape (Boxer and Spartan Racer) but he has to check his sugar levels before every meal and adjust his insulin dose accordingly.

He tells everyone he is making Diabetes his *****.....so good luck you doing the same.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have two students now who use an insulin pump. They clip it on their uniform pants. Just listen to your doctor and talk to them about staying physically active - I'm sure it'll be a bit of a hassle, but not incapacitating.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sorry to hear that.

So...advice...

Type 2 Diabetes (which is what I presume you have been diagnosed with) is progressive. If you disregard your doctor's advice or don't test yourself daily, you probably won't die immediately. But you will suffer greatly over time and then die in a most unhappy state, missing limbs and possibly blind. This is how diabetes kills - not today but tomorrow. It kills slowly, which makes it easier for people to ignore treating it for a long time, but the bill comes due.

Listen to your doctor's advice. Keep your diet and exercise under control. Cut out sugar. Ignore 'helpful idiots' who are not diabetics and don't understand that sugar is sugar - whether it is 'natural' or not (so honey and fruit is the same as processed white sugar or high-fructose corn syrup).

As a diabetic who is also a martial artist, you need to pay attention to your feet. The reason is that diabetics often suffer neuropathy (loss of feeling) in fingertips and feet. Diabetics injure their feet, don't notice it because they can't feel it, and end up getting gangrene and then have to have the limb amputated. So examine your feet every time you take a shower. If you get injured, you need to get it take care of promptly.

Best of luck. It's not a death sentence; unless you don't take it seriously. One of my instructors passed a few years back. He had stopped taking his diabetes medication. He had a heart attack and passed. His blood sugar was very high when he died. He was in his 40s and in good physical condition, not overweight at all, and appeared to be quite healthy. But he did not take his meds. His wife and kids miss him.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't test yourself daily,

My husband has type two but doesn't test himself daily, he's not been told too nor has anyone I know with it. A friend of mine with type two put it totally into remission with diet and exercise, she no longer takes her meds (on doctors instruction). He has yearly ultrasound on his feet and eye tests.
headhunter, I'm sure you have similar info but in case not you might find this helpful from a UK Diabetes charity. What is Type 2 diabetes? - Diabetes UK

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My husband has type two but doesn't test himself daily, he's not been told too nor has anyone I know with it. A friend of mine with type two put it totally into remission with diet and exercise, she no longer takes her meds (on doctors instruction). He has yearly ultrasound on his feet and eye tests.
headhunter, I'm sure you have similar info but in case not you might find this helpful from a UK Diabetes charity. What is Type 2 diabetes? - Diabetes UK

Let me say this - people should follow their doctor's advice. I'm not a doctor, and neither are you as far as I know.

I have heard of people controlling their diabetes through diet and exercise to the point where they no longer need medication. Again, my advice is to do what the doctor says, with regard to testing and medication.

My sensei who died had gone from over 300 pounds to around 150. He had controlled his diabetes until his blood sugar was 'normal' and took himself off his medication and stopped testing himself. He died. So you know, do what you think is best, but my advice is leave a Will and say goodbye ahead of time if you are planning to be your own doctor.

Diabetes is a progressive disease. People get their numbers down and think they are in remission or cured. As far as I know there is no cure. If you have diabetes, you have diabetes. Your body processes sugar differently than people without diabetes.

One last time - seek the advice of a medical doctor and follow that advice. Nothing any of us say here is a qualified medical opinion. Not mine, not anyone's.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did say my friend had put her diabetes into remission, I didn't say it was cured and she was monitored all the way by her doctor.
My husband has never been overweight and was extremely fit when he had his heart attack and subsequent diagnosis of diabetes as well. His cholesterol and blood sugars were even within normal ranges, as one doctor said, sometimes sh*t happens.
I imagine the reason we don't do much daily testing is that doctors can't bill for the testing kits, here only those that need them are given them. finance isn't the consideration for visiting a doctor here, so we go as many times as we need to make sure everything is fine.

Latest Discussions