Marijuana cuts lung cancer tumor growth in half according to Harvard study

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://current.com/community/897997...-tumor-growth-in-half-harvard-study-shows.htm

The active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University who tested the chemical in both lab and mouse studies.

They say this is the first set of experiments to show that the compound, Delta-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), inhibits EGF-induced growth and migration in epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) expressing non-small cell lung cancer cell lines. Lung cancers that over-express EGFR are usually highly aggressive and resistant to chemotherapy.

THC that targets cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 is similar in function to endocannabinoids, which are cannabinoids that are naturally produced in the body and activate these receptors. The researchers suggest that THC or other designer agents that activate these receptors might be used in a targeted fashion to treat lung cancer.

Imagine if cancer patients could grow their own medicine...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't be right. The US Government insists that there is nothing good in pot.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It halts cancer tumor growth, but turns the brains to cooked spinach. Not much of a tradeoff.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, ever watch someone die from Agent Orange induced lung cancer? I did. I didn't care for it....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It halts cancer tumor growth, but turns the brains to cooked spinach. Not much of a tradeoff.
whoa... Exaggerate much? The millions of high functioning pot smokers in our country would suggest that pot in moderation won't turn you into iggy from taxi.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've known many pot smokers throughout my life and watching them smoke away and get stoned could NEVER compare to watching a friend die from lung cancer. One of the worst things I've ever seen in my life. The suffering involved cannot be compared in any way to what pot does to peoples' brains.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Cancer is a mess...A death I would not wish on my worst enemy. make in Lung cancer and it's double true: You can't breath you might as well be dead...

Zonked out from dope? Not too bad.
having cancer getting zonked? Sounds pretty good to me.

(however, the flippant remark regarding smoking: Most (almost all) cases of lung cancer involve people who smoke...what's smoking a doobee....)

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am wondering if the researcher are avid pot smokers. Cancer patients are already growing their own medicine, and so are all the people who don't want cancer that is why it is illegal. Yea, it is kind of ironic to cure lung cancer, you smoke pot....I say make pot brownies instead. The only real health issue over looked when smoking pot is the munchies (is that term still used?), hmmmm White Castle.:ultracool

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In all seriousness, though I have never smoked pot, I have been told pot over morphine. Those I have seen on morphine, I can say it really screws you up, you can have horrific hallucinations instantly depending what is going on around you or not. I hope I am never in a situation where I need morphine.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score

Sorry Bill, but this really bothered me especially since your posts are usually very intelligent.

Comparing lung cancer to the effect that marijuana could possibly have on your brain is like comparing falling from an airplane to falling off your bike.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just did a quick search, and this is not a new report... original paper was published in Apr. 2007. Also found a research paper from 2010 in Molecular Cancer from Madrid titled "Cannabinoids reduce ErbB2-driven breast cancer progression through Akt inhibition" which supports the earlier Harvard conclusions on a different cancer cell type (still in mice).

Interestingly, while researchers have been trying to link marijuana smoking with incidence of lung cancer for years (since it contains most of the same carcinogens as tobacco), results have been inconclusive. A possible reason for this might be that most marijuana smokers don't smoke as much, as long, or as frequently as cigarette smokers do. The above studies indicate that there may be an underlying biological reason as well, and that the THC might potentially counteract some of the effects of the other carcinogens inhaled while smoking.

I also strongly agree with Sensiblemaniac, that any comparison of the effects of lung cancer with marijuana use is WAY out there. Sorry Bill, but I've also seen a formerly strong woman waste away from lung cancer in a very short time until she was effectively a living skeleton of under 60 lbs near the end. In a "Would You Rather", I'm pretty sure there's no contest whatsoever here.

Latest Discussions