Marc Tedeschi

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I recently borrowed a book by Marc Tedeschi called Hapkido, An Introduction to the Art of Self-Defense . In it, it mentions a longer work Hapkido: Traditions, Philosophy, Technique. The first one is well written, although it seems to be an infomercial for the second. It mentions the second one as the "comprehensive 1136 page book". Is the "comprehensive 1136 page book" worth the cost or is there a better book on Hapkido? From looking at the smaller book, it seems to be worth it but if there are better books out there, I would rather get those. Thanks for your help.
:asian:

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkn75

I recently borrowed a book by Marc Tedeschi called Hapkido, An Introduction to the Art of Self-Defense . In it, it mentions a longer work Hapkido: Traditions, Philosophy, Technique. The first one is well written, although it seems to be an infomercial for the second. It mentions the second one as the "comprehensive 1136 page book". Is the "comprehensive 1136 page book" worth the cost or is there a better book on Hapkido? From looking at the smaller book, it seems to be worth it but if there are better books out there, I would rather get those. Thanks for your help.

I have the book and I love it! It's gonna be one of those books you have to have if your a Hapkido Pratcitioner. Like the "Hapkido Bible" and the book by Kwang Sik Myung.

The smaller book that you read is actually a section of the larger book, Hapkido: Traditions, Philosophy, Technique. The only criticism I would have is that the pictures are on the small side. Playing devils's advocate... if they were bigger the book would probably be 4,000 pages. :eek:

I really like it because this book has an enormous amount of information while seemingly very unbiased. Too many people in Hapkido have a very onesided view of Hapkido and will try and force their own view down your throat. I don't agree with that way of thinking. This book seems to be "this is what I have picked up over the years and you can take it for what it's worth." I respect that about Marc Tedeschi and his book.

In my opinion, it was worth the money.

Take care. :asian:

F

fringe_dweller

While you're on this topic... I'm looking at grabbing some books on hapkido, would you recommend I get Marc Tedeschi's full size book or the Hapkido Bible first?

Thanks for your input.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
I recently received the massive book you're speaking book. I've been involved in Hapkido for nearly 30 years and I highly reccomend it. Is it the last book on Hapkido you'll ever need...no, but you won't find any book that is. It is the best book I've seen to supplement anybodys Hapkido training. I must follow that up with the fact that I have not seen Master Kimm's Hapkido Bible and have heard many good things about that work as well.

Happy Training!
Bill

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
I bought the "big book", and would say that it is an incredibly thorough resource. I bot mine used, in mint condition thru the Amazon website. Saved about $15 from the new price.

DngrRuss

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Chris from CT said:
I really like it because this book has an enormous amount of information while seemingly very unbiased. Too many people in Hapkido have a very onesided view of Hapkido and will try and force their own view down your throat. I don't agree with that way of thinking. This book seems to be "this is what I have picked up over the years and you can take it for what it's worth." I respect that about Marc Tedeschi and his book.

In my opinion, it was worth the money.
I agree wholeheartedly with not only the recommendation for the book, but also both the view of the Tedeschi work and the view of Hapkidoin as well. I have to admit, I do enjoy doing a little muck-raking among the HKD practitioners on this and other forums, but it wouldn't be so easy if there was not so much infighting among us.

But, to get back on topic, the book is great and I recommend that my students read it as well.

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings

I also have the book and I think it has a ton of good stuff.

On the flip side he shows many techniques that are NOT Hapkido at all.
To me that could confuse many people into thinking this is Hapkido when it's not.

He shows many blocks that come straight out of Jeet Kun Do text, some moves are from other styles of Jujutsu and grappling, punching that's not HKD, also many little things that are not part of the system.

So please realize it's very comprehensive but not pure to the system.

N

NotQuiteDead

I only got to look at Marc's long book briefly and it was a while ago so I don't remember how good it was, but it had a lot of information. The guy who showed it to me borrowed it from a training partner but he liked it a lot.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
He shows many blocks that come straight out of Jeet Kun Do text, some moves are from other styles of Jujutsu and grappling, punching that's not HKD, also many little things that are not part of the system.

Would you be so kind as to expand on those issues, such as "punching that's not HKD". I'm trying to fathom just what that could be. "Moves from other jujitsu styles" - I don't profess to be a great authority of stylistic endeavors, but I didn't/couldn't see anything specific from the pictures presented. "Jeet Kun Do blocking" also eludes me. Appriciate your insight on this.

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:

Would you be so kind as to expand on those issues, such as "punching that's not HKD". I'm trying to fathom just what that could be. "Moves from other jujitsu styles" - I don't profess to be a great authority of stylistic endeavors, but I didn't/couldn't see anything specific from the pictures presented. "Jeet Kun Do blocking" also eludes me. Appriciate your insight on this.
Greetings

There's no way for me to go the the book page by page and explain all these points on this forum.

If you were very familar with tradtional HKD as a master or qualified instr. you would see what I mean if you looked through the book.

Yes Jeet kune Do's exact basic blocking methods are presented in the book, also striking with a forefist in NOT in the HKD system though many people do it anyway.

He shows 22 HKD stances there no such thing in HKD page 203
Jeet kune do rip offs parries page 382, 383 look in any Bruce lee text you will find the same thing.
He shows 40 some different fists HKD has less than half of that page 248, he pulled all that from every MA book he could find.
He show many chokes typical in JJJ, judo, Bjj, not found in THKD, or Aiki jutsu systems.

I can go on for a long time pointing out all these things that serves no purpose.

All I'm saying is this book embellishes and strecthes the limit of what HKD really is to the 1000th degree. Don't take all this stuff as gospel just because it's in a beautifully done publication.

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hollywood1340 said:
All hail purity!
Greetings

No one from CH cares about traditionalism that's no secret, but this book is supposed to be about true HKD not a very exagerated or altered version!

Dr. He Yong Kims first book only is accurate and so is Hwang Sik Myungs books accurate.

No other books I know of are true to the system.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Where can I find info on Mr. Tedeschi ???

Thanks

Your Brother
John
He has a website, but it is mostly for selling the book.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Rosenberg, appriciate your time and input. Which book between Kim and Myung would you recommend?

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
Mr. Rosenberg, appriciate your time and input. Which book between Kim and Myung would you recommend?
Kim book called Hapkido is good, but I Like Myungs books the best.

All of them are good but he has a 5 book set from 10th gup to 1st gup there really well done in belt order. He Also has a book with a gold cover called Hapkido ancient art of masters.

The only fault with myung's books is he plainly lies about Hapkido history.

Nobody's perfect.

mateo

White Belt
Reaction score
If one had the Korean Hapkido; Art of Masters by Myung Kwang-Sik and Hapkido by Kimm He-Young (sometimes referred to as 'The Hapkido Bible') I can't see much benefit to getting the Tedeschi book.

I also think that the details of techniques are shown the best in Myung's less comprehensive book.

Kimm's book and Tedeschi's book seem to have similiar aims and in my opinion, by and large, Kimm's book does a better job of displaying authentic hapkido.

Kimm's book is not that easy to find though.
...And is even harder to carry!:)

Try here for all of the above:

http://superiormartialarts.com/cgi-bin/uniform/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=hapkidobooks.html&ORDER_ID=244820976&affiliate=!affiliate!

Latest Discussions