Mapping Katas

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many members map out their kata in the early stages when learning a new form. I have used this method to help understand some of the principles in my forms in the past. Does anyone else do this?

Rob Broad said:
How many members map out their kata in the early stages when learning a new form. I have used this method to help understand some of the principles in my forms in the past. Does anyone else do this?
I map out my katas all the time when I first learn them, when I begin to understand them ,and on and on we go. There is always something more to katas than we will ever know just when we think that we know what a certain move is we find a diffferent meaning to it.

PPKO

Good question.

I try to continuously breakdown and map my forms. This has been a great help to me in understanding application.

Mike

I love (no - i need) to know what applications are involved in each movement of my forms, and then as time goes on watching the form evolve and finding different applications for the movements as i progress in my training. Having just changed schools, (same art) i find the applications of the forms a bit different, so now my horizons have really expanded. My map is now an atlas - it just keeps evolving. Great question!

Donna :)

I started mapping kata, when I started learning Short Form 1, and I have been doing it ever since. It has been a great way to help me learn.

Latest Discussions

Back