Maori Martial Arts

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was just watching the Deadliest Warrior episode on the Maori versus the Shaolin the other day and also watched the Islands of Blood (Hawaiian warriors) on the Warriors documentary.

What were the various Maori martial arts? How many different arts are there amongst the Maori? I notice they mentioned Seamus Fitzgerald was a master of Mao-Taiaha (sp?) which from the look of it was largely weapons use. I'm actually curious about learning about that particular aspect of New Zealand culture. It seems that there might be more martial arts developed by the Maori over their centuries of near constant warfare...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I studied Maori martial arts when I was in New Zealand and also here in Hawaii. They are very well developed with all sorts of drills that resemble games for youth and the use of actual weapons. Each tribe had its own art that it taught, focusing on different weapons. There really isn't any unified martial art or any major organizations. Learning is all about who you know.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I thought the various Polynesian weapons presented in the Deadliest Warrior episode were quite interesting including the trauma potential of the shark tooth club (how it left fragments in the target) was insanely high. However of the four Maori weapons presented in the episode my favorite was the Taiaha because of it's versatility and power.

The Taiaha appears to be a combination of the spear, quarterstaff, and club all in one. Is this observation accurate? Which tribe really focused on the use of the Taiaha?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought the various Polynesian weapons presented in the Deadliest Warrior episode were quite interesting including the trauma potential of the shark tooth club (how it left fragments in the target) was insanely high. However of the four Maori weapons presented in the episode my favorite was the Taiaha because of it's versatility and power.

The Taiaha appears to be a combination of the spear, quarterstaff, and club all in one. Is this observation accurate? Which tribe really focused on the use of the Taiaha?

That's a good representation of the Taiaha and most tribes practiced with some form of the weapon. Usually they are little longer or shorter or they had a different kind of ending. There is one type of taiaha that has a flat end specifically for a strike to the temple. The intent was to cleave the top of the head off and use it for a bowl. Warriors who brought one of those home were considered powerful and clever.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do the Fijians have similiar weapons do you know? We have a lot of Fijian soldiers here and it would be really interesting if we could ask them to show the children and interested adults about their weapons and ways of fighting.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do the Fijians have similiar weapons do you know? We have a lot of Fijian soldiers here and it would be really interesting if we could ask them to show the children and interested adults about their weapons and ways of fighting.

If you could pull this off, I would be forever jealous. I love learning new material, but to get something that could be very unique, would be the best. If this happens and you can get some video and put it up, I would be interested in seeing it.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Again referring to the Deadliest Warrior episode I definitely thought the Maori brought some damn interesting weaponry and martial prowess to the table. Jared Wihongi, Sala Baker, and Seamus Fitzgerald were quite informative speakers.

Regarding the shark tooth club I assume that that weapon was peculiar to tribes that controlled territory near the ocean. The fact that the club can lose teeth I'm curious as to how much less effective the weapon becomes in engagements where one loses teeth from the weapon into the body of one or more opponents. (in Sala Baker's demonstration of the 'Polynesian Early Day Chainsaw' he lost fragments from the teeth in the club inside the slab of meat he destroyed with about three swings). I presume the heft of the club (especially if it's a hardwood weapon) means it can still be used as a bludgeon if need be...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Again referring to the Deadliest Warrior episode I definitely thought the Maori brought some damn interesting weaponry and martial prowess to the table. Jared Wihongi, Sala Baker, and Seamus Fitzgerald were quite informative speakers.

Regarding the shark tooth club I assume that that weapon was peculiar to tribes that controlled territory near the ocean. The fact that the club can lose teeth I'm curious as to how much less effective the weapon becomes in engagements where one loses teeth from the weapon into the body of one or more opponents. (in Sala Baker's demonstration of the 'Polynesian Early Day Chainsaw' he lost fragments from the teeth in the club inside the slab of meat he destroyed with about three swings). I presume the heft of the club (especially if it's a hardwood weapon) means it can still be used as a bludgeon if need be...

I didn't see that many shark tooth weapons in New Zealand. That is something far more common in Hawaii. They had a lot of jade (paunamau) weaponry that is really cool. There is this club that fits in the hand and is shaped like round spatula, it's called the mere, anyway as far as a close quarters weapon, there are some really interesting things that can be done with this. Did they show that on the episode?

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Personally I thought the Maori's most effective weapons were the Taiaha and shark tooth club. The mere club and stingray spear compete for third most effective in my book.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
That is soooooo cool! Talk to him and get us the inside scoop on the episode!
\

I did, he said it was silly, actually he said it was very silly, but he was glad to do it have the opportunity to showcase the Maori martial arts.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the biggest problems with that whole stupid show is that it's "Batman vs. Superman", myth vs. myth. Yes, a look at the weapons is useful and interesting hot to mention really, really fun. The important intangibles are ignored.

A Shaolin monk didn't make his living fighting. He was a monk whose education might include an undetermined amount of martial arts training. He might never have lifted a hand against another person. Or he might be a soldier from a defeated army laying low. The two sorts of man would be very different in a scrum.

A Maori warrior would be used to blood and combat. Odds are he had been in a lot of battles, killed or wounded a few people. And his whole social identity was tied up in being a warrior from the games he played as a kid to what he did with his friends to how he made friends and got girls.

Experience counts for a lot. Even a dozen raids and a serious battle or two is a lot of experience.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The way I saw the episode were both warriors came from violent and turbulent times. I thought both were evenly matched and thought the Maori had the higher edge for exactly the same reasons stated by Tellner. They're fighters from childhood and had lifetimes of war behind them to stay alive.

I can also argue the same in the case of the Shaolin - they were constantly fighting off bandits[FONT=Arial, Arial], the armed bands of Chinese princes/nobles with ideas of looting the temples and other rough sorts of folks.

I hope that the episode produces more exposure for the Maori Martial Arts - hopefully a FightQuest or if Human Weapon ever goes back on the air I'd love to see it.
[/FONT]

Latest Discussions