Man Vs. Wild

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I heard this guy was a fake shortly after he was interviewed on a radio show I listen to.
Survivorman is the real deal.

The_Fish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He’s not a ‘fake’. Man VS Wild (Or Born Survivor as it is known as in the UK) aside, Bear Grylls is a very well respected and reputed survivalist and adventurer, and many of his feats prove and demonstrate that fact. Many of the survival skills demonstrated on the show are actually legit, regardless of whether the situation is dramatised or not – and whilst some people may disagree with the way Bear does things, remember:

1. Bear is ultimately at the mercy of the producers. If they want something dramatised for the sake of entertainment, so be it. That shouldn’t suggest Bear is a fake and the skills are not legitimate survival skills – it suggests some of the scenarios in which the survival skills are demonstrated are faked.

2. Different ‘groups’ teach different survival skills and methodologies. Some survival methodologies preach that in extreme circumstances, take extreme measures. Others preach to never endanger yourself more, and to take the conservative approach to survival. Different approaches have their own advantages and disadvantages.

3. Man VS Wild/Born Survivor is NOT meant to be a show about Bear surviving. It is meant to be a show that shows Bear demonstrating survival skills. Whether he stays in a motel, or stages scenarios doesn’t really matter – he is showing you his interpretation of what to do in certain situations. That doesn’t mean Bear has to do them himself (sleeping in a motel for example, even though sleeping in the motel wasn’t a regular happening in his episodes and he did sleep rough for a lot of them). Take into account Bear has a wife and children to think about, his military career over. Does he really want to fully endanger himself and the security of his family for the sake of ultra-realistic survival demonstrations?

4. The TV show is for entertainment purposes, not to teach people how to survive. If an inexperienced person tries to use something that saw on television and it works, then great – if it doesn’t, that’s not the fault of the show.

I was disappointed when I found out that some of the scenes were scripted (as shown in those links posted above), that Bear has at times slept in a motel, and even that he has received outside help for some situations - but that shouldn’t make you think any less of him or the show. Man VS Wild exists as an entertaining show displaying Bear’s interpretation of surviving in hostile environments – and like I said, Bear is by no means a ‘fake’ – what he shows are very real survival skills, some of which may appear dramatised/overkill but are actually very reasonable in a life-or-death situation, which is what he often tries to portray a scenario as being.

The fault is with Discovery channel for not putting an accurate disclaimer in the first place that explains the above. :)

HebrewCossack

White Belt
Reaction score
I dont really like Bear. He over does it alot. The only episode of Man vs Wild that I liked was the one in Alaska. I like survivor man more.