man beats toddler to death, witnesses fail to stop him

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
This makes my blood boil.

Police killed a 27-year-old man as he kicked, punched and stomped a toddler to death despite other people's attempts to stop him on a dark, country road, authorities said.

...Because his injuries were so severe, the child will have to be identified through a blood or DNA test, he said.
http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=5172762

It doesn't say how hard the witnesses tried to stop the guy but it's obvious that they didn't try hard enough. Yeah, the cops shot him dead but they arrived too late to do any good (of course, they saved the taxpayers the cost of feeding this bastard for the next 30 years so I guess we should be thankful for that).
I just wish someone had killed that mother****er before he managed to murder this little boy. :mad:

Anybody that would stand by and watch this happen to a child without doing anything and everything they could to stop it doesn't deserve to live.

Ok, I'm done ranting...this one just really set me off.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
This makes my blood boil.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=5172762

It doesn't say how hard the witnesses tried to stop the guy but it's obvious that they didn't try hard enough. Yeah, the cops shot him dead but they arrived too late to do any good (of course, they saved the taxpayers the cost of feeding this bastard for the next 30 years so I guess we should be thankful for that).
I just wish someone had killed that mother****er before he managed to murder this little boy. :mad:

Anybody that would stand by and watch this happen to a child without doing anything and everything they could to stop it doesn't deserve to live.

Ok, I'm done ranting...this one just really set me off.
You're not the ONLY ONE! I've read several versions of this story, and it's apparent that folks didn't try TOO DAMN hard!

I suspect 'tried to stop him' consisted of approaching him and telling him he should stop doing that, someone has called the cops. :miffer:

I read a story like this and I only WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE!:enfo:

I don't care if you're UNARMED! I don't care if you're BUTT-NAKED! You DO NOT STAND-BY and watch a SMALL CHILD GET BEATEN TO DEATH! The men in that group need to HOLD THEIR MANHOODS CHEAP FROM THIS DAY FORWARD and KNOW THAT THEY ARE BASE-COWARDS!

We as a society should SHAME people for that kind of behavior! Instead, we as a society encourage it!

Tomu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The article says the people had no effect.

How about tire iron?? I bet that would have an effect.
If that didn't work run the guy over with a car.
This makes me sick.:flammad:
The feeble attempts of the witnesses just goes to show that we as a people have become soft, weak sheep unable to get out of our comfort zones.
I say the people that were witnesses should be tried for involuntary manslaughter and negligence.

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tried to stop him... ridiculous. This interesting bastard was occupied with killing the kid, it's damn sure he wouldn't have noticed someone charging on him with full speed. And it's damn sure that a full powered hammer fist to his backbone would've stopped him. Or multiple stabs preferably to his stomach to give him a slow agonizing death. Or breaking both of his knees then hang him up in a proper strappado and after a few hours set him to fire.
In such cases you don't have the right to consider any other solutions than killing the bastard. It's not like a drunken fight or a robbery where you can hope that if the attacker ends up in prison he possibly changes, it is the beating-to-death of a kid. Watching that and "trying to stop him with no effect"... there are no excuses for this kind of behaviour. It's much, much worse than what happened here yesterday.
Yes, I'm not "politically correct". Vermin like the attacker do not deserve it.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Horrible indeed. Glad that the police ended his life. God only knows what this murderer would have done to other children, or possibly what he has already done to other children.

Yes, SOMEONE should have taken a more significant action, one that would have involved force.

I do wonder, though, why the use of force wasn't effective? I do have some thoughts on this matter.

A one or two year old child isn't going to be able to take much of a beating from a fully grown adult, and it's entirely possible that the child was already dead before anyone could render any aid.

Also, who were the witnesses? Were they also a bunch of elderly folks who tried to stop him? If so, there's a significant strength disadvantage. Unless one of them were armed, I am not so sure they could have made a difference, if that were the case. Given that it's in California, the odds of one of them having a firearm on them aren't going to be too good.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A couple of things:

1. THIS is obscene:
Because his injuries were so severe, the child will have to be identified through a blood or DNA test, he said.

2. Anyone from the LA area remember Richard Ramirez, a.k.a. the Night Stalker and the scene of mobbed citizens taking him down for the police? There was a certain feeling of vindication in So. Cal. that day ... the people took down one of the area's most notorious serial killers. And no one (that my research shows) was charged with assault in that case.

3. This stand-by-and-watch-it-happen is the result of laws impeding our rights to defend ourselves through the use of violence. Anyone who tried to stop that man with a tire iron would likely have been arrested and charged. I'll not be surprised if the officer is investigated.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Difficult to even comprehend, never mind speak to rationally. I will say though that I don't know how much the "elderly couple" mentioned in the article could have done against a 27 year old who clearly had snapped in a titanic way. My heart absolutely breaks for the poor child; I have four children myself and I just don't know what to think. I'm never going to be able to get my head around things like this.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That the police saved the tax payers 30 years of paying for this guy's room and board is a good thing. That a child is lost because of this man's rage is tragic and heartbreaking to say the least.
How many more children will suffer in the days to come? How many more people will stand by and do little or nothing while these things happen?
Will it galvanize people to rise up and cry out for better protection? Will people be moved enough to actually step in when an adult goes too far with a child? Or will sheeple continue turn their heads and say "it's none of our business" ?
Singularly they probably couldn't stop the guy in his rage but en-massed they could've been more effective and held him til the police arrived.
It rends my heart anew to read about this (again) after trying to heal from reading other stories of like horrors and atrocities against children.

No wonder Christ loved them so much... he knew that they suffer most of all.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bet one of those worthless ****s got it on his cellphone cam though... :rolleyes:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read a story like this and I only WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE!:enfo:

Same here...

I don't care if you're UNARMED! I don't care if you're BUTT-NAKED! You DO NOT STAND-BY and watch a SMALL CHILD GET BEATEN TO DEATH! The men in that group need to HOLD THEIR MANHOODS CHEAP FROM THIS DAY FORWARD and KNOW THAT THEY ARE BASE-COWARDS!

Well said....

We as a society should SHAME people for that kind of behavior! Instead, we as a society encourage it!

Amen brother...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur with all the outraged and protective reponses above. It is often the case that those who were not there to help, react the strongest of all because we never had the opportunity.

I do think that Grenadier makes some good points above tho' that might explain the lack of effective action from the witnesses. I would guess that the poor little kid was already dead from the first blow, given how manic the attack description sounds.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There Is Not A Death Slow Enough,painful Enough Or A Hell Hot Enough For Some One That Doses Such Harm To A Toddler.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This incident sickens me on many, many levels...

But without more evidence, I'm not condemning the people who failed to successfully intervene. I've seen people take shots that you'd expect to have laid them out, and simply grin. We don't know what drugs, if any, this non-human was on. I've been real lucky in my career; I've never faced someone really high on PCP -- but I've heard enough horror stories to realize that it's very possible that very strenous efforts to stop him could have been ineffective if he was on PCP. There's not enough information right now; I'm not condemning anyone yet.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well it was in California.The land of 'may issue' permits if you contribute to the sherrif's campaine fund.

I expect that from the Northeast and West coast.

I'd be shocked if that happened in Texas.

Deaf

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It outrages me, too. But I don't know how strongly I can condemn the first witnesses:

The truck caught the attention of an elderly couple at 10:13 p.m. Saturday because it was stopped in the two-lane road facing the wrong direction, Singh said.
Man pushed off efforts to stop him
As they got closer, the couple saw the man brutally beating the toddler behind his truck and throwing the child on the ground, according to Singh. Two or three other cars stopped, an unusual number to be passing through the remote area surrounded by a dairy, a cow pasture, a cornfield and a farmhouse, he said.
"What we got from witnesses is he was punching, slapping, kicking, stomping, shaking," Singh said. "They tried to intervene and get involved, but their efforts really didn't have an effect. The suspect was engaged in what he was doing. He just pushed them off and went back to it."

If the elderly couple wasn't particularly skilled or strong for their age they may well have been unable to have an effect. And they may have been afraid themselves. Physical courage is easy when you believe that you are able to defeat a bad person. It is more difficult, and your limits may be different if you really believe that the dangerous lunatic will cripple or kill you as well as his intended victim. The other witnesses? Unless they were also frail and elderly - in which case even a mob of six or seven angry elders should be able to do something - they don't get any sort of slack.

From the article it sounds like the officer on the scene did exactly what was indicated.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gun laws in California are usually by county. Some places give them out easily, while other places you have to be a high profile politician or actor.

What happened to the toddler is a tragedy. I am both extremely angry and sad.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My sympathy and condolences to the family of the child.

The perpetrator was a virus, who ability to infect others has been eliminated.

As far as the bystanders, it depends on who they were and what their abilities were; as with many other issues, we who were not there can second-guess the situation all we want - but when it comes down to it, we weren't there. Would I hope that in a similar situation, I would jump in? Certainly - and sitting here safely, at my dining room table in front of my laptop, I say to myself that I would - but unless and until each of us is in such a situation, we cannot say with certainty just how we would act. The people who did not intervene will have to live with that the rest of their lives; that may not be enough - but it's what will be.

Latest Discussions