Make me the target

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
DGF had some good points from a Senior point of view, but one thing he said that struck me...a thought I have often.

One of the aspects of self-defense is not *looking* like a good target, so the bad guy moves on. I understand the motivation but one aspect of it that has always run through my mind is the idea that I've made the bad guy move on from me... who may be able to defend myself, to attack someone else, who may not. So I've ensured that I am not a victim, but I've ensured that someone else will be... someone less trained and less able to protect themselves.

I guess in one point of view, to my life and my family and friends, it os good that I made it home ok without incident. But on the other hand if I could have a wider perspective I wonder how I would feel knowing that someone else was attacked, mugged, or worse, in my stead, because I carried myself like an unattractive target and they looked easier.

Survival Of The Fittest I suppose...but sometimes it makes me think...

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's self defense. Worrying about what might happen is a sure fire way to drive yourself nuts. I feel the best way to allay this is to teach your art to others so that they too won't be targets.

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It isn't really survival of the fittest - You may be able to defend yourself, you may not - you never know what the other person can do - It is personal responsibility. It is our own responsibility to ensure we don't become a victim. Each person must take responsibility for that.

Accepting that responsibility IS doing something. Sharing with and teaching others does more.

But deliberately engaging in the confrontation when you don't need to is foolish, and may prove fatal.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'll agree with Sensei Bear- it would be extremely foolish to embrace the conflict out of fear of that person then going on to hurt somebody else. Not always survival of the fittest my friend......survival of the smartest is another mantra that fits this bill!

It isn't my responsibility to stop potential attackers.....it may sound selfish....but there is no point acting like Superman.....it may just get me hurt or killed...

:)

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I understand what FF is saying. If I KNEW that I was passed up as a target and the guy coming along behind me got hurt instead would really mess with my head.

HOWEVER, I think it would be far worse to be the target and get hurt or killed. Not for me, but for my wife, my 4 kids, my parents, my friends, coworkers....the list oges on. If I'm not here...who looks after them?

I'm always telling my clients to really focus on that which they can control. I can't account for what's going to happen to the guy comin gup the street after me...I can only control my own actions. The responsible thing then is to make sure I preserve myself in order to be of use to those who rely on me.

Peace,
Erik

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The responsible thing then is to make sure I preserve myself in order to be of use to those who rely on me.

I like that concept....don't mind if I quote it in future conversations with people on similar topics do you?

:)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True story:
My friend and I where walking home from class one night as a car full of youths slowly passed us by. I guess because of the way we carried ourselves and the return look we gave those eyeballing us they left us alone and continued around the block. My son happened to be a couple of streets over and was attacked by those same youths because he was alone and in the wrong nationhood. He ended up with stitches where he was hit in the head with a piece of rebar.
Do I wish they had attacked my friend and I yes. Would I have changed or have I changed the way I move while walking the streets NO

Latest Discussions