Maintaining a clean uniform

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peroxide works very well. While I most likely don’t have as much experience with getting blood out as you do, I have a ton of experience with it from working as an athletic trainer.

The best stuff I’ve come across is called Blood Buster. It’s an enzymatic cleaner. I had a soccer player who’s white home jersey was saturated in blood (he needed 38 stitches along his eyebrow for reference). I put it in a plastic bag immediately and forgot about it, until 2 weeks later when the coach asked if I had the jersey for the next day’s game. I soaked it overnight in a 5 gallon bucket with blood buster and detergent. Threw it in the washing machine, and it was like it never happened.

I've never tried that product. However, I can't (with an admittedly cursory search) find an ingredients list. Which doesn't excite me.
And given that 4oz of the stuff sells for $10.58 on Amazon, and I can buy 16oz of Peroxide at Walmart for $4.50, it would take a lot to convince me to try it.

what to heck is a dobak?

I know I was just poking fun. Americans tend to say "dobak" instead of dobok

Do you really want to argue about the "correct" Romanization of Hangeul?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never tried that product. However, I can't (with an admittedly cursory search) find an ingredients list. Which doesn't excite me.
And given that 4oz of the stuff sells for $10.58 on Amazon, and I can buy 16oz of Peroxide at Walmart for $4.50, it would take a lot to convince me to try it.

Do you really want to argue about the "correct" Romanization of Hangeul?
It’s expensive, but we usually bought it at wholesale in training rooms. I’ve never paid for it personally.

Honestly, if I needed some I’d pay the price. A little bit goes a long way and it’s less expensive than buying new clothes. But if peroxide is doing for you consistently, no need to switch.

And blood buster smells pretty bad. It goes away in the wash, but spraying the stuff and giving it a gentle scrub isn’t the most pleasant experience.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How about if, just for you, I try to remember to write it as dob[a|o|ah]k from now on?
I'm not sure how to -a- or -ah- would work. I blame good old Chuck Norris for bringing the doBACK pronunciation into popularity lol

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe we should go back to basics...

도복 = dobok = suit

도박 = dobak = gambling

(Replace the Ks with Gs if your romanisation system prefers ;))

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, and a well worn sweat stained uniform is something that shows commitment, or maybe your individual body chemistry. That said, nobody wants to see a blood stain on your uniform.

Right before a belt test, this kid at my dojang got a bloody nose. He wasn't punched or anything, it was just one of those random bloody noses that people sometimes get. As he's holding a tissue up to his face to stem the flow, I tell him "no, sir, the goal of martial arts is to give the OTHER PERSON a bloody nose."

I know I was just poking fun. Americans tend to say "dobak" instead of dobok

It's my accent.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OxyClean works great. Plus, I'll use Shout or something similar to pre-soak the neck and cuffs for 10 minutes before washing.

OP
D

DrewTheTKDStudent1992

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Also, when washing the TKD uniform, should I wash the top and bottom separately or at the same time?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The top has a black trim on the neckline (typical TKD black belt uniform top).

I'd probably wash it separately the first time, just because. But there's as much chance of the trim bleeding into the jacket as the trousers.

But mine, being standard, has black embroidery on the legs (ITF on each), the ITF logo on the breast and the large TKD on the rear. None of that has ever bled.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, when washing the TKD uniform, should I wash the top and bottom separately or at the same time?
If you are concerned about the black bleeding, toss in one of those sheets that captures bled color. Probably only needed the first time you wash it, if at all (they probably thought that through when they chose the fabric and dye for the trim). Since you won't be using chlorine bleach on the pants, I don't think there's any reason to separate them. If the black were to tint the jacket very slightly (and I doubt it could do more than that), you'll want the pants to continue to match.