MA = fighting?

J

jwreck

Am I the only one out there that doesn't practice MA to have any impact on a fight? I read in threads how "well this or that matters more in a fight..." and I wonder, who are these people and why are they so anxious to fight? I do MA for fun. I enjoy it and I look at it as the greatest hobby in the world. After reading some of the comments here it seems like many martial artists are just people who used to get their butts kicked who now think they have the answer to physical confrontations (no, I don't mean everyone here). Being new to this board, I don't mean to come in ruffling feathers, but it seems like many here take themselves way too seriosly and are in MA for what I would consider poor reasons. To clarify, if TKD is just glorified tag, so what? Am I less of a martial artist because I don't spar full conatct? I think not, but I get the feeling I'm in the minority here.

OP
S

Shinzu

i am definitely not in MA so i can go out and fight all the time. there are many reasons why i study it. to develop a healthy mind, body, and spirit. to become the best person i can and to defend myself in dangerous situations.

becoming a MA bully was never my intention. taking MA is very serious for me. it is a life long commitment with a wealth of knowledge.

OP
K

Kirk

I'll reply, since it was targeted at me. The "glorified form of tag"
was a statement with comparing m.a. sparing and a boxer's
sparring. IN NO WAY was it implying that ANYONE was less of
a martial artist for ANY reason! :mad: And there's no nice way
to say this, but it's not my intention to start anything or be
rude, but I'd sincerely appreciate it if you didn't put "words" in
my mouth.

I haven't been in a fight in over 10 years, and I don't anticipate
having one ever again. I don't hang in places where they're
typical, and I'm a passive guy. I do it for fun too. I don't know
about the m.a. that you study, but at my school we learn how
to punch, kick, block, etc. Defend, and attack ... a.k.a. fighting!
Just the same as katas help condition you for the fight that you
hope you never have, discussing and considering fights condition
the mind IMO.

The WIDESPREAD contention, if you take the time to read through
the posts here, is that m.a. is about what YOU want it to be. I
train for my own reasons, and I don't consider myself, in your
words to "be the minority here" (or better than the lot:mad: )
in any way, shape, or form. How 'bout you train for YOUR
reasons, and feel EQUAL to those that train for THEIR reasons?

OP
M

MartialArtist

Your reasons are perfectly valid. If you practice Yang tai chi for health benefits rather than study the combat Yang tai chi, all for you. But it's when you start acting arrogant because you do know them and a lot of people who are arrogant are sport practitioners thinking that winning a state tournament in tag sparring would have much bearing on fighting.

OP
J

jwreck

Originally posted by Kirk

I'll reply, since it was targeted at me.
My comments weren't targeted at anyone, and you're not the only one I've seen use that statement. In fact, I use it myself, and I think its accurate, but again, so what? I've been a fighter a lot longer than I've been a martial artist, and the two are not necessarily related IMO. That was my point.

OP
J

jwreck

Originally posted by MartialArtist

But it's when you start acting arrogant because you do know them and a lot of people who are arrogant are sport practitioners thinking that winning a state tournament in tag sparring would have much bearing on fighting.
That was exactly my point to begin with.

The 14th Style

Orange Belt
Reaction score
People will always have their own varied reasons for learning Martial arts. To some people fighting is important and to some it is not. I think all that really matters, is that you do what makes you happy and let the rest take care of itself.
My Mom whom will be 71 this year( God bless her) is planing to start taking Tai Chi in a couple of weeks. I'm sure fighting is the last thing on her mind. Although i'm still afraid of her. :D
As for me,I fell in love with Eskrima the first time I saw it. I love to read the history behind it and learn about the old masters like Johnny LaCoste, Angel Cabales & Floro Villabrille. Yet the fighting aspect is important to me too. Just not the only reason. But I have a friend whom studies the same style as I do. And really has no interest in anything that doesn't have a practical aspect to it. He is probably a little better fighter than I am. But at least I know who Ed Parker is! ;)

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by jwreck

Am I the only one out there that doesn't practice MA to have any impact on a fight? I read in threads how "well this or that matters more in a fight..." and I wonder, who are these people and why are they so anxious to fight?

My teacher has told his students MA people should be training to learn life protection not how to kick *** and wrote a book about his perceptions and 50+ years of experiences on training in the martial arts. (If anyone wants a copy let me know by PM.

.................I don't mean to come in ruffling feathers, but it seems like many here take themselves way too seriosly and are in MA for what I would consider poor reasons.

You got that right.

To clarify, if TKD is just glorified tag, so what? Am I less of a martial artist because I don't spar full conatct? I think not, but I get the feeling I'm in the minority here.

When I was younger I thought full contact sparring was the way to go.
Now that I am older and have to get up and go to work the next day plus the fact it takes me at least twice as long to recover from injury as a 20 year old I am not interested in sparring that much.

OP
F

fist of fury

To each his own eveyone stuies for different reasons. I plan on practicing martial arts for the rest of my life. For me it's not just a hobby it's a way of life and I agree there are many people who just take themsleves to seriously not just in M.A. that's why we have so much violent crime. People get thier little ego's hurt and start shooting,pulling a knife,etc.. Martial Arts isn't just a hobby for me although it is fun. The defensive aspects are what I prefer. I avoid places and situations as much as possble where fights break out. But today it can happen anywhere at anytime and I will be prepared.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone does study for their own reasons, I think the general reason that is shared is for protection. So that holds a big part of it. In my system its a life art, and envolves lots of other parts of your life.

7sm

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I study martial arts mainly because it is a way for me to exercise without really realizing I'm exercising. When I go to the gym, I'll be honest, I cheat...(well, only doing ten reps instead of fifteen won't REALLY hurt anything...) I need a trainer there to keep me honest.

Martial arts, first off, is fun, so I don't really pay attention to the fact that I'm working out. Also, if I start slacking, I have a couple of black belts that will get in my face and straighten me out!

Basically, if you have to work out anyway, why not learn good, solid self defense while you exercise? I'm killing two birds with one stone.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by nightingale8472

I study martial arts mainly because it is a way for me to exercise without really realizing I'm exercising. When I go to the gym, I'll be honest, I cheat...(well, only doing ten reps instead of fifteen won't REALLY hurt anything...) I need a trainer there to keep me honest.

Martial arts, first off, is fun, so I don't really pay attention to the fact that I'm working out. Also, if I start slacking, I have a couple of black belts that will get in my face and straighten me out!

Basically, if you have to work out anyway, why not learn good, solid self defense while you exercise? I'm killing two birds with one stone.

That's a HUGE part of it for me too! I get my butt kicked everyday,
and I don't realize it until I'm done! When in a gym, my thoughts
are typically "this sucks, this sucks, this sucks, this sucks"

OP
T

tonbo

I practice martial arts so that I can say that my style beats your style. Just kidding.....don't get no undies in a bunch, k? :)

Really, I started out studying martial arts as a "just in case" measure, when dealing with my ex-wife's abusive boyfriend. I didn't think that I would ever have to defend myself against the creep, but I wanted to be safe, anyway.

Over time, I have become a lot more confident in my skills and more aware of how *easy* it is to get hurt in a fight. I train seriously, to end a fight if one is inevitable, the quickest and most efficient way possible. That is the "result" of my training, and the intent *while* training. However, I go to class intending to stay in shape, expand my knowledge, interact with people I like, and have a good time. It's only when looking back on things that I realize the value and nature of what I am learning.

Much like Kirk, I haven't had a fight in many, many years. It has probably been along the lines of 20+ years since my last fight (it was in jr. high!!!). I don't go looking for fights, nor will I hesitate to run away from a fight if at all possible. However, I started taking MA to preserve my health and safety, as well as the health and safety of those around me, and I will continue to train for that end.

Doesn't mean that I can't have a hell of a good time while doing it.

Plus, the pajamas are cool as all get out.

:D

Peace--

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Am I the only one out there that doesn't practice MA to have any impact on a fight? I read in threads how "well this or that matters more in a fight..." and I wonder, who are these people and why are they so anxious to fight?

I think that people are trying to find out about what works in a fight because as we've seen, some people never have fought or used their martial arts in a "real life" situation. If I ever get into a fight, I want to know what works from people who have been in a fight. I don't want to use something ineffective and I get the advantage of learning from other's mistakes or victories. Martial arts were developed to be able to defend yourself. Now there has been a shift, the typical person who studies martial arts doesn't have to study for war. We are lucky to not have used our martial arts in fights, the highest form of self-defense is to avoid a fight.

For whatever reasons, I'm glad people are studying martial arts even if those reasons differ from mine. I started martial arts in college for physical fitness and to have something to do besides studying. I still study martial arts but now for different reasons.

I'm just happy martial arts in general are as popular as they are and I'm glad there is something like Martial Talk to promote them.
:asian:

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd say that martial arts doesn't necessarily equal fighting. Most martial artists I've met train for the fun of it or for fitness. If that is what makes them happy, GOD bless them. Though I find the martial arts fun, and that it keeps me in shape, my primary concern is self-defense. I by no means go around looking for fights though. I tend to avoid places where you have large crowds consuming alcohol, and a lot of skin is showing (i.e. scantily dressed young ladies). So I'm pretty square these days. Marriage and children will do that to you :)

Geoff Thompson wrote a great book on awareness entitled DEAD OR ALIVE. There is a great quote from the book that goes something like this: "You don't see the mouse hanging around the hawks nest now do you?" If we avoid certain places, we'll avoid violent confrontations.

I've met a lot of martial artists who have no experience in full contact or street scenario training (like Tony Blauer or Peyton Quinn offer), but have a lot of trophies for point fighting, breaking, or forms. That is kool and all but the problem is that they think that they can actually fight. Unfortunately, several of them have learned otherwise by sustaining serious injuries at the hands of an untrained fighter in a bar or a dance club.

OP
C

Chiduce

I think that a fight is a fight; you win some and you lose some. Martial Arts for myself is not only for health, fitness, and living a long healthy life. It is for living that long healthy life without personal mental and moral chaos. Without having to be physically harmed and handicapped by some true warrior of the streets. Without having to be verbally abused as a senior citizen. To be independently stable and productive throughout the retirement years.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

Latest Discussions