Chances of Fighting another MA in the street?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
When you consider that the chances in your life that you may end up in fight with somebody, for whatever reason such as when your walking home and somebody steps out and obviously is going cause trouble etc what are the chances that they could be another Martial Artist or a trained person. I know I'm sterotypying the basic idea that people who mug/attack/assault people are thugs and are untrained but what are the chances that they really have taken the time and consideration most Martial Artists do into praticising and following the rules i.e for the purposes of good!

I also however am not as naive to know that there are alot of *bad* people who do train but do they really do it to the extent that most MA do?

I also know that just because they are untrained it does not make us superiour or invincible.

Regards
Nick

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say pretty dawn good in today world, alot of kids take up the teaching and although they quit, they still have some sort of training. A lot of dojaang now are in school or after school on the stage of the gym floor, at the YMCA and boy's and girl's club, anr almost every workout place does some kind of Cardio kickboxing,cardio karate. GOD BLESS AMERICA

F

Firona

Corporal Hicks said:
I also however am not as naive to know that there are alot of *bad* people who do train but do they really do it to the extent that most MA do?
It's nice to believe that martial artists are all good upstanding people who act as peacemakers instead of instigators. That is, as you say, not the case. In answer to your question I think there are still a good deal of 'not nice' people who train hard at martial arts simply to look 'cool' but there aren't necessarily as many of them as there are decent individuals. I also agree that in todays society it is probably more likely to come up against another martial artist in the street because the MA world has grown. I think the best thing to do is to keep in mind that an MA is about fighting, even if that is not the reason we train with it, and that you should always assume someone attacking you is dangerous.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PHP:
A lot of dojaang now are in school or after school on the stage of the gym floor, at the YMCA and boy's and girl's club
Agreed. There are way more people out there that take up the arts then stop for whatever reason then stay to be instructors. Some of them may have taken up the arts to better their chance of over comeing someone they want to hurt. It is a shame but every school sooner or later has a bad one come in. They are not always easy to tell apart from the good ones.

N

noble man

I realy dont think you will in a one on one situation as much as you would in a gang situation. Logick would dicktate that a MA person might be less likely to attack without provication than a gang.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
---------------------------
When you consider that the chances in your life that you may end up in fight with somebody, for whatever reason such as when your walking home and somebody steps out and obviously is going cause trouble etc what are the chances that they could be another Martial Artist or a trained person. I know I'm sterotypying the basic idea that people who mug/attack/assault people are thugs and are untrained but what are the chances that they really have taken the time and consideration most Martial Artists do into praticising and following the rules i.e for the purposes of good!

I also know that just because they are untrained it does not make us
superiour or invincible.
--------------------------

I think that alot of thugs would not have the patience to learn the martial arts effectively enough to be really dangerous. It takes alot of time and training, something they dont have because they are to busy beating people up, robbing them, and selling drugs. But what you want to watch out for are boxers, kickboxers, or wrestlers because those types of styles can make a person dangerous to quickly in my opinion without learning proper control, dicipline, respect, wich is something I said in another post about children learning martial arts. Those types of style get right to the point of hurting someone quickly and effectively. Thats what I love about karate and most martial arts styles, and that is you dont become dangerous until you have really put your time in and learned alot of respect and dicipline. Those arts I mentioned above jump head first into plain ol hurting people IMO. So watch out for those street thugs who work out at the down town boxing gym, some of them can be very dangerous people.

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When you consider that the chances in your life that you may end up in fight with somebody, for whatever reason such as when your walking home and somebody steps out and obviously is going cause trouble etc what are the chances that they could be another Martial Artist or a trained person.

Been there, done that. Couple years ago i was out with my crew and associated girlfriends at a country pub for new years eve...and for various reasons (i started explaining it here, but it just got too involved and soap-opera-ish) this guy cracks one of my mates...then a few others join in...then it went downhill - eventually, crutches were swinging. I swear to god, this guy with a broken leg starts wailing on my mate with a crutch.

I was, by this time, hands-on with the guy who started it all, and i had a good rear choke on him, but he was slipperry as hell....so i dropped us both to the ground, kept his back and torqued up on his neck. He quietened down, the cops came...yadda yadda yadda.

It ended up in court a few months later....nothing really came of it.

A few weeks after that, i was reading an aussie MA mag, and who do i see winning the state Pancrase champs....none other.

Must have been pretty embarrasing for him to have been choked out by a boxer.... :uhyeah:

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Hmmm...you're chances are actually not that bad. When I was a bouncer up here in Sacramento every once in a while there was a group of trouble makers that used to cruise the bars and they were all in the same kickboxing class. They were obviously beginners and they weren't the best by far, but they did have a good idea of what they were doing. That was also right during when the Gracies hit the streets here in the US and there were some odd guys here and there who went out to start trouble after class. Again, they seemed to be beginners and they weren't the best, but they did have a step up on the average club goer. One of the largest groups of people that you might run into are people who have taken "some karate". It seemed back then that there were one or two a week starting trouble.

I think that your chances of running into somebody really good are not that good, but your chances of running into someone with a little bit of training is pretty good.

O

OC Kid

To be honest Im not worried about fighting a M/A. I can handle most. Its the guy who doesnt havent any training and just knows that he wants to kick my *** is the guy Im worried about.