MA And the arts

H

H@pkid0ist

I have read and definatly noticed that many MA masters were/ are also Artists of some sort. Wether it be singers, poets, painters, writers. What do you do in the pursuits of the cultural arts other than MA?

Me. I love to sing, paint.

OP
H

Humble artist

I think it is very beneficial to introduce oneself to related culture and things surrounding it (provided most of the arts and artists here practice eastern martial arts I assume)
This would greatly aid in understanding one´s art,what kind of a society it grew from and what philosophy influenced it...why things happen the certain way etc.
Personally I´ve been into cultural studies lately by trying to read and gather the knowledge possible,which I have found great.
After all,MA is one part of overwhelming category of Chinese "physical" culture as an example,which traces to other nations too of course.

Just to stick to some of the tradition,we could say of samurai that they were not,in many cases (generally speaking) intellectuals as far as my knowledge serves but included it in their "art" in a way or another during times of relative peace and studied such arts as poetry,painting/calligraphy (arts like calligraphy,originally coming from China were respected and good calligraphers and related skills were taken seriously) and tea ceremony.
There is a decent reason to believe that in such cases,similar and linked skill and sensitivity as seen in these previously mentioned arts,could be a way of expressing oneself in a fashion related to MA and MA being influenced by certain religions-also related to them...get the idea.

:asian:

OP
M

Master of Blades

I love to write, but havnt done too much as of late due to studying :shrug:

OP
J

Jill666

When I took writing classes, I was encouraged by the teacher to switch to law. I took painting classes, but I could see for myself how bad it was. I can play a bit of guitar, bass & sax (a very little bit) mainly to accompany my hubby who is a very gifted musician.

So I can't claim to be terribly talented in those fields. I do sing- terribly. :sadsong:

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sing or play Bass
it's been a while but i still play for fun.

I also like to put my words to paper.

And im pretty crafty with plate glass & Mirror

OP
M

MountainSage

I use politics as my other art. It teachers me to keep my eyes open, see the big picture, how to quickly and effectly judge peoples intentions, etc. Beyond that I am a traditional blacksmith and no I don't make swords or knives.

Mountain Sage
:shrug:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to play drums. I want to get back into it, though. I also play a bit of guitar. I love music, so just playing CDs makes me happy.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Draw. Write. Guitar. Bass. Not so much bass anymore, since I had to sell my Fender :(

Cthulhu

OP
K

Kiz Bell

I am a full time artist. Mainly printmaking, drawing, sculpture and photography. I am also currently studying ceramics/pottery. I do sometimes try writing sometime but it's not really my focus in life.
When I did play guitar I preferred bass, and was even a bass player in a band, but I was really, really bad and had to quit to save my flatmates' sanity. I think I should stick to the visual arts, somehow.

D'you all think there's some sort of connection between martial arts and bass playing, maybe? There seem to be a few of us already, but are there any other bass playing martial artists out there?

Latest Discussions