Love Child or Bastard ... what's in a name?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting article about the word usage of the Schwarzenegger debacle and how they define the child conceived out of wed-lock.
"Love Child" How a bastard phrase went mainstream. By Katie RoiphePosted Tuesday, May 24, 2011, at 6:37 PM ET Arnold Schwarzenegger and his family. Click image to expand.Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maria Shriver, and their children togetherThe other afternoon, as people were pondering the breakup of Arnold Schwarzenegger's marriage, I found myself thinking about the origins of the ubiquitous but complicated term love child. If the word was once slangy or tabloidish, news organizations ranging from CBS News to the Washington Post now seem to consider it a straightforward descriptive term, as if it were the Standard English word for a child born outside of marriage. So it seems like a fruitful time to untangle its vexed etymology. http://www.slate.com/id/2295419?wpisrc=xs_wp_0001

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually despise the word bastard for those people. My cousins some of them and even myniece were conceived and born out of wedlock. I'd swiftly object to anyone calling em bastards.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually despise the word bastard for those people. My cousins some of them and even myniece were conceived and born out of wedlock. I'd swiftly object to anyone calling em bastards.
The true meaning of the word is that they are children not subject to the family title or fortune. In modern American society we have done away with the concept. If the DNA matches, its your kid. I think the song "Love Child" helped spread the term and its meaning. I know every time I hear the word, I think of the song.:)
Sean

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The true meaning of the word is that they are children not subject to the family title or fortune. In modern American society we have done away with the concept. If the DNA matches, its your kid. I think the song "Love Child" helped spread the term and its meaning. I know every time I hear the word, I think of the song.:)
Sean

Well, 'Bastard' usually meant a sad life for the child. Somewhat unprotected and outside of polite society.
'Love Child' has such a nice, romantic ring to it...though it was probably something that came about as the same time as 'Cock' was no longer a polite term for a male chicken.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bastard is the correct term, and has been for hundreds of years. Like many other things, the shame has been taken out of unwed child bearing. There is a term for that too, decadence...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bastard is the correct term, and has been for hundreds of years. Like many other things, the shame has been taken out of unwed child bearing. There is a term for that too, decadence...

LOL

I don't think 'decadence' fits in there'

I think it's about time that the shame has been taken away. It takes 2 to tango...and let's not get down the road of how it's a male dominated society, blah blah....since marriage is only of greater importance if the male line must be documented.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL

I don't think 'decadence' fits in there'
On the contrary, it fits perfectly:
dec·a·dence

   
–noun 1. the act or process of falling into an inferior condition or state; deterioration; decay: Some historians hold that the fall of Rome can be attributed to internal decadence.

2. moral degeneration or decay; turpitude.

3. unrestrained or excessive self-indulgence.

I think it's about time that the shame has been taken away. It takes 2 to tango...and let's not get down the road of how it's a male dominated society, blah blah....since marriage is only of greater importance if the male line must be documented.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On the contrary, it fits perfectly:
dec·a·dence

   
–noun 1. the act or process of falling into an inferior condition or state; deterioration; decay: Some historians hold that the fall of Rome can be attributed to internal decadence.

2. moral degeneration or decay; turpitude.

3. unrestrained or excessive self-indulgence.

It's a matter of opinion.
:)

Taking the stigma off a child not born into a marriage and the decline of Rome are hardly on the same page.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a matter of opinion.
:)

Taking the stigma off a child not born into a marriage and the decline of Rome are hardly on the same page.
The stigma should never have been the child's but, rather, both parents.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think the term does fit, Don. This kid is going to get payed.:)
Sean

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Oh, well, should have could have would have...
Unless the spawn sprung from the loins of a big time noble man to set his illegitimate brat up, the kid suffered. Always has. As well as the woman who gave life to it.
The sperm donor? Not so much. To put blame on him is a new thing...and only if he is married other wise.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

But the term, which may be technically correct but which has always carried a big stigma with it, refers to the child, not the parents. By definition, he or she is the one stuck with it.

On that basis alone, I have no objections to seeing it go away. I have fewer problems if people want to insult the parents; they're grown ups and ought to be able to handle it.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I find the term Bastard to be correct. Love Child is not correct... maybe Horny tuesday afternoon in the parlor child would be better fitting for Arnolds Bastard.

besides I am watching the Game of Thrones series on HBO, Calling someone a Bastard seems as natural there as calling a Midget an Imp... just gets my PC funnybone all tickled.

DNA has become a bane to the Arnolds in the world, of course one look at the little Barbarian Bastard and you can tell its noone elses but Arnolds.

but ya lets call him a Love Child so we dont hurt his fragile sense of self worth.... because I am sure the fact that his mother cheated on his father and had a baby with another married man whos wife was also pregnant, and now the guy who has been your father for 14 years suddenly is no relation at all and your real father is the joke of the political and acting world.... ya that wont bug him at all... hes a LOVECHILD afterall :shrug:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find the term Bastard to be correct. Love Child is not correct... maybe Horny tuesday afternoon in the parlor child would be better fitting for Arnolds Bastard.

besides I am watching the Game of Thrones series on HBO, Calling someone a Bastard seems as natural there as calling a Midget an Imp... just gets my PC funnybone all tickled.

DNA has become a bane to the Arnolds in the world, of course one look at the little Barbarian Bastard and you can tell its noone elses but Arnolds.

but ya lets call him a Love Child so we dont hurt his fragile sense of self worth.... because I am sure the fact that his mother cheated on his father and had a baby with another married man whos wife was also pregnant, and now the guy who has been your father for 14 years suddenly is no relation at all and your real father is the joke of the political and acting world.... ya that wont bug him at all... hes a LOVECHILD afterall :shrug:
I didn't know we were calling the little people 'demons', when was that custom?
Sean

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't know we were calling the little people 'demons', when was that custom?
Sean
its a scifi show, not a historical documentary... it is still amusing as non PC as the show is... it started slow, but has been getting better and better each show. I really like it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

That is putting the fault on the shoulders of the one person who had no say-so in the situation.
Let's face it: 'Bastard' is still a derogatory term.
"Horny tuesday afternoon in the parlor child" probably is close to the truth, but sheesh... the kid still has no fault and is doomed to carry the burden...(vacectomies FTW?)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course the kid is getting ripped off! How else is he gonna get two Christmases and parents vying for the kid's affection when the divorce happens? The poor bastards miss out on a lot of loot... :lol2:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course the kid is getting ripped off! How else is he gonna get two Christmases and parents vying for the kid's affection when the divorce happens? The poor bastards miss out on a lot of loot... :lol2:
Arnold's kid is not about to be a POOR bastard, the rich bastard

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Arnold's kid is not about to be a POOR bastard, the rich bastard

Well, he falls under the category of 'offspring of the powerful'
They were generally speaking not too bad off anyhow. :D

Latest Discussions