Loud music and now tinnitus and sounds make it worse?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Okay I had loud music overexposure and now I got rigging and electrical buzzing sound and other strange sounds. My ears feel sore and some sounds are coming in muffled and distorted. I find when I’m calm and relax the tinnitus sound go down and some even disappear but when I get bit anxiety out it bit louder and other sounds there.

Some times when there are cars driving by, running water or loud sounds it is coming in muffled and very distorted. I’m hearing some rumbling sounds and distortions.

I find loud noises make the problem worse and over thinking about the problem. I will like to know how long does it take for ears to heel and go about exposing one self to noises again. I read that people who suffer from bad tinnitus of over loud music you should never use headphones again or be around loud noises.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what are you doing where you are exposed to loud music. If it's optional then stop doing it. If it's not, then wear ear protection.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't say about the muffled effect but tinnitus and ear damage is forever.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I can't say about the muffled effect but tinnitus and ear damage is forever.
I had a similar problem in the past where I got hyperacusis where my brain is overreacting to noise. It was gone for years and than the loud music overexposure and got hyperacusis again.

Yes when I’m around fans my brain is overreacting and making these strange noises. The only way to get around this is reading on the internet is slowing getting exposure to fan on a low setting, than medium setting than high setting.

But yes anxiety will cause the brain to be overreacting more to it. When I get bit worked up over it and thinking about it well it does not help and I’m overreacting more to it.

I would love one day to be able to listen to music again but in way I’m at now my brain is overreacting to it.

When I cover one ear I have hard time hearing but it seems when some of the tinnitus sounds disappear I’m getting muffled sounds and distortion. So some times cars driving by have this strange muffled sound.

I know I read on the internet that loud music can cause problems but I thought it was more like going to a rock band or night club. I did not know how dangerous it is and thinking it can mess up my hearing.

Well because I had similar problem before do you think I have to stick to low and medium sounds? I read on the internet other people who have hyperacusis that even headphones on medium setting and low setting can make it worse.

But yes I find when I get anxiety I’m overreacting to it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're asking some pretty specific medical questions. I'd strongly suggest an audiologist and hearing doctor rather than the internet. Ears are like eyes -- you only get one set for life. You really should take care of them.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had a similar problem in the past where I got hyperacusis where my brain is overreacting to noise. It was gone for years and than the loud music overexposure and got hyperacusis again.

Yes when I’m around fans my brain is overreacting and making these strange noises. The only way to get around this is reading on the internet is slowing getting exposure to fan on a low setting, than medium setting than high setting.

But yes anxiety will cause the brain to be overreacting more to it. When I get bit worked up over it and thinking about it well it does not help and I’m overreacting more to it.

I would love one day to be able to listen to music again but in way I’m at now my brain is overreacting to it.

When I cover one ear I have hard time hearing but it seems when some of the tinnitus sounds disappear I’m getting muffled sounds and distortion. So some times cars driving by have this strange muffled sound.

I know I read on the internet that loud music can cause problems but I thought it was more like going to a rock band or night club. I did not know how dangerous it is and thinking it can mess up my hearing.

Well because I had similar problem before do you think I have to stick to low and medium sounds? I read on the internet other people who have hyperacusis that even headphones on medium setting and low setting can make it worse.

But yes I find when I get anxiety I’m overreacting to it.
Thanks for the additional information. That puts everything into context. From what you have added. This is more than just a loud noise issue. The best approach for this is to go to the doctor that specializes in this area.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You're asking some pretty specific medical questions. I'd strongly suggest an audiologist and hearing doctor rather than the internet. Ears are like eyes -- you only get one set for life. You really should take care of them.
I completely agree.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information. That puts everything into context. From what you have added. This is more than just a loud noise issue. The best approach for this is to go to the doctor that specializes in this area.
Yes well also like to add from some of the reading I have done on hyperacusis is conditioning the brain to be around noises again.

From what I read when you ears suffer hearing loss and you struggle to hear frequencies it will up the gain and get the singles wrong causing strange noises. And stress or overreacting to it will not help.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is a warning to all of us about noise exposure-noise hearing damage is cumulative. I’ve always been a little paranoid about noise-related hearing loss and thus always wear custom-made music earplugs at gigs, where, in my opinion, the volumes are just too loud, often distorting the sound and making the gig a bit rubbish! But there are other sources we should be cautious about. In my gym, they often have music playing at unacceptable levels so I ask them to turn it down and they’re very obliging. Pubs/clubs often play music too loud so it’s earplugs again. Traffic noise on some roadsides is very loud so I carry earplugs everywhere and use as required. When driving long distances the tyre/road noise may not seem excessively loud but it is of long duration (remember, hearing damage is cumulative), so I wear noise cancelling headphones.

I want to hear music of my choice, the woodpecker in my garden and the lapping of the ocean on a beach long into my older years so I do all I can to protect my hearing.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have had the problem for as long as I can remember, stay away from loud noises, wear ear protection, keep your ears dry, keep cold air out of your ears, on windy days keep the wind out of them, go to a ENT doctor to get them cleaned, don’t stick anything in your ears, make sure you don’t have a ear infection, etc!!