Who listens to shoegazing music?

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ooh, ooh, me! I do!

I always like to see how many responses akin to "Wha?" when I ask that question. Shoegazing is an off-shoot of punk music that got its start in the British music scene. It's characterized (generally) by a good deal of low-yield, 'wall of sound' synth music, and droney vocals. The name 'shoegazing' was dubbed by the British press, so named due to the singers' having to work synthesizer pedals with their feet as they sang.

I find it soothing, relaxing, and a bit inspiring when I'm looking for something to write.

Definitive bands (some of which have disbanded) of the genre include: Slowdive , My Bloody Valentine, Auburn Lull, COlfax Abbey, Sigur Ros, and The Verve.

So... who listens? :)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do - my favorite is Jesus & Mary Chain. They're not synth, but I've heard the term applied to them frequently. Didn't know the term came from looking at the pedals, though. I thought it had to do with the mopey nature of the music.

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I do - my favorite is Jesus & Mary Chain. They're not synth, but I've heard the term applied to them frequently. Didn't know the term came from looking at the pedals, though. I thought it had to do with the mopey nature of the music.

I think that's why it stuck; performers took on the 'looking at the floor' routine in order to play up the ambience of the set. Also referred to as blissrock and dreampop, on occasion.

Jesus & Mary Chain is good- I picked up Psychocandy not too long ago. Some of it's a bit 'screechy' with the guitars, but for the most part I dug the CD. Their track on The Crow soundtrack is pretty good too. :)

My personal favorites are Auburn Lull and Slowdive, with Colfax Abbey a close third. :)

EDIT: OOH! Green belt at 100 posts. Yay!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that's why it stuck; performers took on the 'looking at the floor' routine in order to play up the ambience of the set. Also referred to as blissrock and dreampop, on occasion.

Jesus & Mary Chain is good- I picked up Psychocandy not too long ago. Some of it's a bit 'screechy' with the guitars, but for the most part I dug the CD. Their track on The Crow soundtrack is pretty good too. :)

My personal favorites are Auburn Lull and Slowdive, with Colfax Abbey a close third. :)

EDIT: OOH! Green belt at 100 posts. Yay!

I've never heard of those others, I'll have to check them out. This one by Virginia Astley is good, if you can find a copy. I have it on cassette - jeez, I feel old. :)

Latest Discussions