Looking for some affordable wrestling mats

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A friend of mine that teaches in NW PA is looking to replace his school's wrestling mats. While he is checking the normal Ebay and classified ads, does anyone have a good (or bad, what the hell...) suggestion as to where he could pick some up at a reasonable price?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck! Most mats unless well used will be expensive. I would advise him to contact some local colleges or high schools that have mats and may be looking to get new ones. Maybe he can pick up some okay used ones that might be reasonable.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A friend of mine that teaches in NW PA is looking to replace his school's wrestling mats. While he is checking the normal Ebay and classified ads, does anyone have a good (or bad, what the hell...) suggestion as to where he could pick some up at a reasonable price?
What do you guys consider reasonable, and how big is he looking to go?

OP
stone_dragone

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I checked out craigslist and sent him the ones that I found.

Not Reasonable = $1000 for a 10' x 10' section, Reasonable = $300-500

How big? Big enough, I guess... :)

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think he's going to need at least a 10x10 if he doesn't have that many students. 1 inch mats aren't going to cut it for the most part... Unless they're on hardwood floors that have a little give. He should really go for something thicker, especially if he's planning on drilling takedowns.

Look up pro wrestlers in your area. They might have some lying around they might just give you for cheap, but probably in less-than-stellar condition.

Gymnasts tend to have the kind of mats you have to assemble, or huge tracts of wrestling mats for their floor routines.

Good luck! You'll need it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score