Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Neither had quite what I was looking for. Thank you both though...some other good stuff at both sites. :D

I'm currently shopping around for prices for an MT 3.5" patch, might check out the cost on a small batch of these as well. Hey, a bucks a buck right? :)

R

Ronald R. Harbers

I do tend to ramble don't I. Thanks for stopping me. I must try to stay on track.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
I'm looking for a sword patch for a uniform, preferably a katana. I've looked at several patch places, and haven't had any luck. Also, something with the kanji for sword would also work.

Thank you :)

The kanji I believe is this one:

That kanji is "ken" meaning sword.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not quite sure if this will help.

The patch that I wear on my uniform reflects my membership in a branch of an organization. The kwan patch that I wear on my Hapkido uniform reflects my membership in that kwan. There would be no sense in passing those patches along as you are not a member of these groups. What I think I am hearing you say is that you would like to wear a bit of "eye-candy" that would tell people that you are a practitioner of sword. I suppose one solution would be to get a rocker to wear on one sleeve that simply says, "sword". Of course, if you can have the word done in an oriental character it will suggest that you favor Oriental rather than Western sword, and it will also be a tad more exotic. This is something like what nunchuka or sai people do, though they also have the option of getting a general "kobudo" patch, I suppose.
Personally, I am also a traditionalist so I am not a big fan of wearing my "resume" on my uniform. Actually, what I train in is a tough personal struggle and I find that even with the organizational patch I get a lot of folks elbowing their way into my practice to ask questions and tell stories. Unless you are actually in need of this sort of attention, and have the skill to address the questions posed to you, it may be lucky for you that you don't have your interests advertised on your uniform, yes? FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the idea here is to advise people of the range of ones' MA experience without having to walk about with various accutrement draped about ones' body. I imagine its along the lines of an American infantryman who wears a Combat Infantry Badge with the laurel on it, or perhaps a rocker that simply says 'Ranger". A matter of pride, maybe? For myself I have a bit of trouble with the whole belts and patches things. For instance, in the dochang in which I study sword, everyone is dressed absolutely identical, with no belts and only the school patch. Any question of ones' ability is addressed by observing their skill, not how they are attired. Or, as we say in Hapkido, "you are only as good as your last technique." FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh... so it's for a uniform which isn't worn during practice? Or it's for when you are wearing your uniform but aren't practicing?

If the first, then why in the world would you be wearing a uniform you don't practice in? If the second why are you wandering around in a uniform when you aren't practicing?

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Brian:

See, thats why I have a problem with the whole "patches thing". I'm not talking about where an emblem of an organization to which one belongs. Rather I am speaking of Uniform-as-bulletin-board, or yet, uniform-as-billboard, ne? Call me old-fashion, but I have been given to believe that one trains in a "martial art" to become, well, more "martial". Into this characterization I throw things like modesty, self-control and all those other things that contribute to a person being a good "team player" if you will. Its something to do with make what you want, or how you want to be perceived, or the status you want in the eyes of the community secondary to what the needs of the community are. Now, admittedly I am speaking from the position of a member of a kwan whose focus is heavily weighted in terms of giving to the community, so maybe I am not the best person to speak on these things. But using myself as an example, rather than spend a lot of money on "eye-candy" I think I would spend my time and energy on actually learning a particular style of authentic swordwork and passing THAT to people in the "audience". Thoughts? Comments?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
What is the big deal with patches, etc?
I've been in schools where everyone looks like they just bought em, and others where they had stars and flags, and embroidery, etc. etc.

I think it depends on what one is trying to present.
One doesn't fight in their dress blues (with all the medals, etc), but one doesn't wear their combat BDUs into a fine diner either.

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
Bester said:
What is the big deal with patches, etc?
I've been in schools where everyone looks like they just bought em, and others where they had stars and flags, and embroidery, etc. etc.

I think it depends on what one is trying to present.
One doesn't fight in their dress blues (with all the medals, etc), but one doesn't wear their combat BDUs into a fine diner either.

Because martial arts aren't the eagle scouts. That's why.

Classical Japanese martial arts do not make use of them either. At a demonstration you'll only see family crests on montsuki and that's it. There is no room for that kind of silliness in koryu.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Steve, I would even go a step farther.

Even if one does not practice a "traditional" MA, there is something self-serving or self-aggrandizing about the whole patches thing that seems to speak against developing a martial attitude. Now I am not speaking about people who simply want to do a "martial sport" or "martial theatre" or "martial business". Different situation. If people think its cool to walk around in a uniform that makes them look like a NASCAR entrant thats fine for them. What I object to is having that person then tell everyone that they train in the MA. One trains in the MA to develop a martial mindset, or more loosely a "martial spirit". If a person is not doing that then they can legitimately call what they are doing "Martial Phys Ed" or "Martial Gymnastics" or "Civilian Arts", or even "Punchy-Kicky Time Structuring" but its not "Martial Arts" since that term was claimed by people seeking to make a very specific change in themselves quite sometime ago. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Saitama Steve said:
Because martial arts aren't the eagle scouts. That's why.
Neither is the military.

Classical Japanese martial arts do not make use of them either. At a demonstration you'll only see family crests on montsuki and that's it. There is no room for that kind of silliness in koryu.
Not all arts are Japanese.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking for something simple and tasteful. Right now, I have 2 gis I train in. 1 in plain, no patches, and gets worn the most. The other is for more 'fun' bits, or when I work with a small group. That one is most non-traditional (it currently has a Galactica flight patch on it). I'm not looking to dress like a Nascar driver. LOL!

Latest Discussions