Looking at this school?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Impossible to say from a website just go down and see what you think

paperguynj

White Belt
Reaction score
Dave is a highly regarded teacher. I would love to be able to go to his school, I live a little far from here. I reached out to dave via email and he called me and spoke to me about KM for about 20 minutes. He answered all of my questions and gave me a lot of insight into KM. Go check him out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Meh. I dont get why people choose the sylabuses they do for these things. I mean we are looking at what should be self defence and we are doing standing arm locks and leg locks. Jumping off mount.

It is like there is no thought to what they are trying to achive.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IKMA is a very good organization and David Kahn is a very respected Kravist. IKMA has implemented more grappling into the Krav Maga curriculum. Macher, if you have a chance to train with IKMA, take it. It's good Krav.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IM

Meh. I dont get why people choose the sylabuses they do for these things. I mean we are looking at what should be self defence and we are doing standing arm locks and leg locks. Jumping off mount.

It is like there is no thought to what they are trying to achive.
IMO, standing arm locks are really destructions (breaks and dislocations). There's no base for holding the lock there for submission (as we commonly practice them in training), so it either works (destruction) or it doesn't. From a SD standpoint, they have a place, but leave few options and often their failure mode (what happens when they don't work) makes them high risk. The more I train, the less I favor them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IM

IMO, standing arm locks are really destructions (breaks and dislocations). There's no base for holding the lock there for submission (as we commonly practice them in training), so it either works (destruction) or it doesn't. From a SD standpoint, they have a place, but leave few options and often their failure mode (what happens when they don't work) makes them high risk. The more I train, the less I favor them.

Yes and no. I hit standing arm locks from a wrestling base. And so isolating the arm has all these other tricks and traps around the concept. Even if they dont wind up as a lock or destruction.

So if i have a good clinch and then good body control then isolate the arm then I can attack the joint.

If the arm is just flailing about I wouldn't go for a destruction or a lock exept in some very specific circumstances. Which are not really a core self defence type thing.

Now If I do weapons defence, standing arm locks or standing arm lock concepts are important because that is basically weapon disarms. But If I am going to hit standing arm locks then my clinch game has to be on pointl. Well before my armlock game needs to be.

Basically position before submission.

The issue with destructions apart from being duchebaggy in training is they are beaten by good structure. I have to give you a straight arm for long enough for you to do anything with it. In real speeds that is almost always too long for any limb to just be hanging out there.

I think the only time someone has pulled off a destruction. And it was working off the clinch game.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. I hit standing arm locks from a wrestling base. And so isolating the arm has all these other tricks and traps around the concept. Even if they dont wind up as a lock or destruction.

So if i have a good clinch and then good body control then isolate the arm then I can attack the joint.

If the arm is just flailing about I wouldn't go for a destruction or a lock exept in some very specific circumstances. Which are not really a core self defence type thing.

Now If I do weapons defence, standing arm locks or standing arm lock concepts are important because that is basically weapon disarms. But If I am going to hit standing arm locks then my clinch game has to be on pointl. Well before my armlock game needs to be.

Basically position before submission.

The issue with destructions apart from being duchebaggy in training is they are beaten by good structure. I have to give you a straight arm for long enough for you to do anything with it. In real speeds that is almost always too long for any limb to just be hanging out there.

I think the only time someone has pulled off a destruction. And it was working off the clinch game.

From a SD perspective, most destructions and standing locks will come from clinch or some mid-range grappling (botched arm drag, perhaps). Some are taught directly from a strike, and I think that teaching misses the middle step, where there's a transition from striking defense to grappling. As you say, trying to lock an arm that's flailing about is sketchy. Once that arm has been trapped (on purpose or by accident), the percentages get better.

I don't think I've seen many good standing locks that could be held (like a ground submission), other than a couple of shoulder locks that work on folks who aren't too flexible - if you have some examples I've missed, I'd love to take a look. There are certainly circumstances where they can be used to initiate a new control to get to something else, which is the other use I teach them for.

EDIT: Corrected my grammar.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’m still going to check this place out. I have one other school I found near by and then that’s it. I’ve exhausted all my options.

Do they spar at all?

OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
I’m still going to check this place out. I have one other school I found near by and then that’s it. I’ve exhausted all my options.

Do they spar at all?

I’m checking it out Sunday morning. They have a fight conditioning class after regular class. It’s light medium sparring. You’ll need MMA gloves etc.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice. The more I read about this Krav school the more interesting it becomes. It’s a nice balance of everything...and just enough groundwork.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
IM

I'm not a krav student however for the locks which I have so far practiced in training and had done against me I've got to agree with you that they can be effective.

Fred Claus

White Belt
Reaction score
I can tell you David Kahn is talked about highly. He has written many books and videos on the subject of KM.

Latest Discussions