Good Krav Maga

TCBA_JOE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Currently I'm at school in WI, and I practice TCB Kung Fu, TKD, and boxing. When I want to go home, I want to take the opportunity to take differant MA that I don't have access to here at school. I'm interested in taking KM and BJJ and I found a school back home that has both. According to the differant KM websites I've gone to, It's the only school in New Hampshire that teaches it. How do I find out if it is worth taking, or just a cardio kickboxing class calling itself KM, as I don't know what to look for? The website basically says the same stuff that the brouchure from www.kravmaga.com organization says. I've heard of KM schools that are on both end of the spectrum, and I don't want to waste my time taking a class that resembles Tai Bo.

the school is http://www.neamausa.com

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
TCBA_JOE said:
Currently I'm at school in WI, and I practice TCB Kung Fu, TKD, and boxing. When I want to go home, I want to take the opportunity to take differant MA that I don't have access to here at school. I'm interested in taking KM and BJJ and I found a school back home that has both. According to the differant KM websites I've gone to, It's the only school in New Hampshire that teaches it. How do I find out if it is worth taking, or just a cardio kickboxing class calling itself KM, as I don't know what to look for? The website basically says the same stuff that the brouchure from www.kravmaga.com organization says. I've heard of KM schools that are on both end of the spectrum, and I don't want to waste my time taking a class that resembles Tai Bo.

First off, Welcome to the forum!

It seems that the school in question is mentioned on the KM site that you've posted. I would assume that given that the school is mentioned, that they'd be offering some legit instruction. Tae Bo is pretty much a solo activity, whereas with KM, you're going to not only get in some bag/focus pad work, but also some hands on training doing techniques on a partner. You'll learn defenses against punches, kicks, grabs/chokes, as well as weapons.

I would go and watch a class to see if it is something that is going to suit what you're looking for. See if you can take a trial class. Ask questions such as cost, what the classes will be like, the instructors background, etc. You could also contact the main KM school in CA. with any questions you may have.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Mike

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TCBA_JOE said:

Since you are probably already a pretty decent striker, I would put BJJ before KM as grappling training will help round you out as a fighter. Regarding the school, I know that to belong to that org. they have to meet some basic standards, so they are not illegitimate, IMO. Are they good? I don't know, but if you attend a few classes you should be able to decide for yourself. If they won't let you attend at least one or two gratis before committing financially than I would look elsewhere.

Welcome to Martial Talk!

OP
TCBA_JOE

TCBA_JOE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing BJJ already, I was just lookign for a striking art thats no-nonsense. I could easily go to my brother's kempo/KF class, or a local TKD dojo, but over the summer with my lmited time, I want a "RBSD" like JKD, KM, or Systema where I can learn quickly should I put in the effort. Unfortunatly i havent come up with anything decent other than KM. I don't want to have to relearn everything to fit a particular sensai's tradition with
my lack of time. Another thing I've been attracted to in KM is stuff I've heard about the way it is often trained. I've heard so interesting stuff, and would like to learn self-defense not kata. But yeah, I'll be doing BJJ. I've done some submission grappling with a wrestler who's also done some JJJ, and it's a lot of fun.

What is some stuff that I should look for when going to the class? I've already contacted the owner and expressed intrest and I was told to come down when I begin break and participate in a class or 2. i'm just curious to see if it's worth my time. Thanks for the help ,and the welcome!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TCBA_JOE said:
What is some stuff that I should look for when going to the class? I've already contacted the owner and expressed intrest and I was told to come down when I begin break and participate in a class or 2. i'm just curious to see if it's worth my time. Thanks for the help ,and the welcome!

This may give you an idea. Please keep in mind that things could possibly vary from school to school.

http://www.kravmagahouston.com/curriculum.html

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To my untrained eye, Mr. Konelas sure as heck looks like he is teaching a glorified kickboxing class with his Krav Maga.

Krav Maga involves cardio kick boxing in a fast paced high impact workout routine. It's a full body workout from head to toe, incorporating Krav Maga style kicks and punches to build strength, shape and condition your body.
A Krav Maga workout burns more calories and fat than Tae Bo, and ordinary Kick Boxing while increasing stamina, strength and endurance.
"Some people come to Get Fit, and they leave Safer, some come for Self Defense and leave Fit!"

What makes me say this is more than this quote from his site. Mr. Konelas states that he is president and chief instructor of his school...that's all good. He appears to be a 1st degree black in Kenpo, awarded from SGM Parker. That's all good.

What was telling to me was the class schedule. Mr. Konelas teaches Krav Maga and Women's Kickboxing. That's it.

I dunno. If it were me, and I was interested in seriously studying Krav Maga, I'd be a little bit hesitant than a school that promotes the art in terms of calories-burned-per-hour.

It isn't the only school in the Granite State that offers KM, according to the link you posted. There is also a school in Amherst and a school in Salem. Perhaps they it may be worth contacting them all?

Good Luck and Welcome!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You bring up a good point. If you look at this link:

http://www.kravmaga.com/programs.asp

from the main HQ in California, they offer a number of programs. Looking at the ones that says 'fitness' it states the exact same thing as you mentioned about the other school. Clicking on the different classes offered, it seems like they're all geared differently. The fitness portion seems to be along the CKB lines.

I do see how that can be a little misleading though.

Mike

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
You bring up a good point. If you look at this link:

http://www.kravmaga.com/programs.asp

from the main HQ in California, they offer a number of programs. Looking at the ones that says 'fitness' it states the exact same thing as you mentioned about the other school. Clicking on the different classes offered, it seems like they're all geared differently. The fitness portion seems to be along the CKB lines.

I do see how that can be a little misleading though.

Mike

Verifying his lineage with Bjj and Kali would go a long way to determining if it's worthwhile too.....couldn't find him on any of the BJJ charts i could find in a quick search, but those only had black belt instructors on them, so they are far from definitive here.
The Kali class would probably serve as a good compliment to the Krav Maga as far as self-defense goes(I currently take both and vastly prefer the Kali knife defenses to the krav ones).

Things you'll want to check for as signs of a good kali class.

Early emphasis on footwork, including the triangular movment, and how to use it to stay off-line of attack.

Teaching the blocks as counter-attacks rather than parries.

A clear idea at each stage of how the weapon drills translate to empty hand and alternate weapons.

Krav classes, even more than most MA, really depend on the charisma and organizational skill of the instructor to to convey the body of knoweldge in a way that will be ingrained in actual combat. So you can't really do much else than go watch him.

K

kmguy8

sadly, i may be replying too late
I have not trainied withthe NH school listed..
i have traiined in israel & with KMAA in LA
KMAA does the best job possible controlling the instructor certs in the states
it is hard.,.. some good people from israel move in or have been teaching but not paying LA for all the national ads in BlackBelt etc.. and they wind up with franchise conflicts......

KM is a self defense art.. they do offer a SEPERATE cardio class certification for fitness instructors however this is COMPLETLY seperate from the 3 week long 10 hours per day instructors training course that MA teachers ALREADY teaching another art must endure (only about 2/3 pass) to teach the first three levels (there are 5 in KM) additioanl weeks are needed along with time in and teaching the system to progress to lkevel 4 & 5 instruction...
my candid advice is if the KM school also teaches TKD.. tread carefully... ATA schools cut a deal with KMAA reducing dues (it is over $5K to take the three week course) and lots of TKD schools picked it up to market on top of thier babysitting businesses to offer adults REAL self-defense...
you will learn basically boxing and basic JJ skills in KM with a heavy emphasis on adaptations for dealing with seen and unseen weapons.. you will also learn to use and defend modern weapons only (knife, stick, bat, pistol, rifle, etc...)
I reommend feeling the school out.. some are very heavy sparring. others are lighter and more technique focused..
the fitness misconception comes from the cardio class offering and push in LA along withthe fact that KM believes that under severe exhaustion the body responds as it does under the severe str5ees of an attack.. so most classes try to push everyone to thier limit and execute techniques under stress.....
BJJ is always good.. take that too...
good luck and enjoy your trianing!

KravDude

White Belt
Reaction score
I have checked out several KravMaga Schools in both Mass. and N.H. From my visits to the various locations,i have found that the Salem Self DEfense Center teaches the most accurate interpretations and combatives that are required to be taught in KravMaga.I found this school to be high energy and Very close to the teachings given at the KravMaga HQ in L.A............I highly recommend this school

amz

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know anithing about martial arts, but after watching demos in youtube, krav does seem to be a good discipline, hope there are guys from the Philippines that can direct me to a dojo.

Latest Discussions