Krav Maga and Boxing? Huh?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I'm splendid to behold! Thanks guys!

arnisador said:
Is Krav Maga officially adding jujutsu techniques, or do you mean your particular group?

I don't know what I'd call official Krav Maga anymore. We had a guy who came from England and trained in KM there, but he found what we do very different. Now he might have been at a McDojo, but I hear the guys in NYC, who are an official branch of my ogranization are doing a lot of grappling, which is something we care little for.

I think it's my particular ogranization. The Krav Magen grandmaster died almost two years ago, and his successor isn't very popular. I don't think the organizations are communicating as much anymore, so I don't think anyone really represents the "official" Krav Maga. Only time will tell...

As for my recent absence (thanks for checking in, Mike), I've got a lot going on lately, so I haven't been able to keep up with MT, but I'll try to slip a post in here and there. And there's a new video coming up, more of a show-off bit than actual demonstration, but still ;-)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, good to see you when you have the time!

How many orgs. are there now? What are the big ones?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Loki said:
If there's one style KM hasn't ripped off, it's JKD. Early KM influences include Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai and Aikido. We're looking into Jiu Jitsu now.

Krav Maga can accurately be accused of taking techniques and concepts from others styles. It can be called "ripping off" with the negative connotation that follows, but then again, it can be called "learning from everyone" just as easily. Krav Maga would be a pretentious system if it claimed to be a leader in practicality and refused to incorporate ideas from other styles just because they weren't "original".

I think it's great that KM incorporates so many different techniques. Taught well, it would be among the first choices I would send someone to train in. The boxing that it incorporates is great because it is simply natural for people to fight that way - and the IDF had/has limited time to spend on unarmed techniques so they, IMO, have to rely upon arts that are relatively easy to learn, yet effective. I've studied off and on the American style of KM for the past six years, and with a few exceptions, I like most of their techniques.

It's really great to have an actual Israeli on this KM forum and I really enjoyed watching your clips.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
It's really great to have an actual Israeli on this KM forum and I really enjoyed watching your clips.

Stop, you're making me blush... :uhyeah:

Thanks for all the positive feedback and rep, it's nice to hear.

Arnisador, there are 4 big organizations in Israel, I think all of them have branches abroad, plus another big one in the States.
They are:

1) Krav Maga International (Kapap): The organization I belong to, known in America as Krav Maga Inc., operates primarily around NYC. Headed by Haim Zut.

2) Krav Magen: Formerly headed by Eli Avikzar until his death in May 2004.

3) Israeli Krav Maga: Headed by Haim Gideon.

4) International Krav Maga Federation: Headed by Eyal Yanilov, operates mainly in Asia and Europe.

5) Krav Maga: American organization based in LA, certifies most of America's Krav Maga instructors. Headed by Darren Levine.

Imi Lichtenfeld's original organization disbanded around 1990 when disputes between todays masters arose.

Latest Discussions