Local Martial Arts Actor on front page

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good for him. Only know of him, he trained, or at least used to, under Jean-Yves Theriault and John Therien, great guys, great Martial Artists. I look forward to seeing his movie.

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good for him. Only know of him, he trained, or at least used to, under Jean-Yves Theriault and John Therien, great guys, great Martial Artists. I look forward to seeing his movie.
That is how I know him. We both trained under John Therien and Jean-Yves Theriault.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is how I know him. We both trained under John Therien and Jean-Yves Theriault.

You trained under them? That's awesome, brother, two great men right there. Last time I saw them we had dinner at the Pontchatrain Hotel in Detroit. About a zillion years ago, just before Jean-Yves was champ. And there was another guy, a heavyweight, I think his name was George Gevieu [sp] also a class act, nice guy.

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You trained under them? That's awesome, brother, two great men right there. Last time I saw them we had dinner at the Pontchatrain Hotel in Detroit. About a zillion years ago, just before Jean-Yves was champ. And there was another guy, a heavyweight, I think his name was George Gevieu [sp] also a class act, nice guy.
George Gouvreau? Sweet heart of man, until he got in the ring. I got my black belt in jiu jitsu under John Therien and taught for him for about 8 years. When Jean Yves went for his black belt in jiu jitsu, many years after his kickboxing days, I was on the grading board.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last time I saw them we had dinner at the Pontchatrain Hotel in Detroit.
Of course you did. You've eaten with everybody.

Wait, I've just realized how often you you have eaten with people mentioned in these threads - famous and obscure, alike. How the hell are you not fat??

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This year will be the 50th anniversary of Therien Jiu Jitsu. There will be a big celebration in November at the annual Capital Conquest.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
George Gouvreau? Sweet heart of man, until he got in the ring. I got my black belt in jiu jitsu under John Therien and taught for him for about 8 years. When Jean Yves went for his black belt in jiu jitsu, many years after his kickboxing days, I was on the grading board.

I got a great kick out of this, Frank. I'm easily excite by my passions. Yes, Gouvreau. Big lumberjack looking guy back then, one hell of a nice man.

And my feelings on Jean-Yves, I actually think he's one of the most under rated Martial Artists of my lifetime. Anyway....best wishes and thoughts to Mister Therien.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah saw the first of the kickboxer movies he was in. His fighting is pretty impressive his acting not so much but hey no one watches that type of movie for acting anywayanyway

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Buka

Every time I read posts about the guys in the MA and fight world you know, have known, or trained with...I get INCREDIBLY envious

Hardly as cool as it might sound. But -
Here's the story about....that story.

And @FrankRaud might get a kick out of it.

Around the turn of the eighties, Bill Wallace retires as PKA middleweight champion. There's some fight offs amongst the ranked contenders. Jean-Yves is right up there.

So....one of my guys, Jeff White, is going to fight Jean-Yves in Detroit. Myself, Jeff, our trainer Joe Vassalo, and my friend Bruce [Massachusetts promoter] and his wife Cindy all make the trip. The promoter from Detroit, who's setting this whole fight card up, is Tiger Whatshisface. I don't trust promoters, period. But especially ones with jungle cats in their God damn name.

Our party arrives at the Pontchartrain Hotel. I immediately ask for the manager as we're about to sign in. I want to make sure everything is as was agreed to. We have three rooms, and all meals at the hotel paid for, just sign my name. The manager says, "yes, the rooms are waiting, but uh oh, there's no mention of paid for meals, they will not be provided"
Okay, call us a cab to the airport, and tell Tiger his main event is going back to Boston. Thanks for the plane ride."

The manager panics, gets Tiger on the phone, and the manager tells me okay, meals paid for. I ask for it in writing, and get it.

Quick side sory - The strangest thing of the night.......

The match is Saturday night. During that day, TigerPromoter holds a karate tournament, big one, over a thousand competitors. Come the night of the matches, the under card is over, the main event is about to start. But - Tiger is going to do a Karate demonstration, in the ring, before the main event. Okayyyyy.....

They bring a bunch of guys into the ring. And a bunch of glass. Storm door windows, like you put on your door when screen season is over. I'm thinking WTF? Then they bring in some chairs.

Guy stands on a chair, another guy sits on his shoulders, then they carefully hand up five windows to the top guy. TigerPromoter does a double front jump kick and smashes the panes of glass. Which break into a jillion shards.....all over the ring. They they sweep it up. Now, I'm standing right beside the ring, and even after it's swept up I can see glass pieces everywhere. I ain't letting my fighter walk on that. Would you? So I ***** and moan, and the hotel finally gets some vacuums and sets to cleaning the ring. Which takes about forty minutes.

The fight goes on, Jean-Yves wins.

After the fights I'm talking to Jean-Yves and Mister Therien. Jean had fought some of his earlier fights in Boston, hadn't really spoken to him since then. So, we're talking.....and I learn that no good, son of a ***** promoter, put all of them, including George Gouvreau.....in one small room with a small double bed. Someone had to sleep on the floor. And they got no meals provided. So I had them join me for dinner that night, and signed my little fingers off. Heh, heh, heh, and we ate well.

They might not remember me in particular, but they'll probably remember the circumstances of that fight night. And Tigerwhats-his-name. But when you see them, please give them my best.

And to Frank Raud....Frank, did Jean-Yves have a younger brother who also fought in the ring? I seem to remember something like that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Around the turn of the eighties, Bill Wallace retires as PKA middleweight champion. There's some fight offs amongst the ranked contenders. Jean-Yves is right up there.

So....one of my guys, Jeff White, is going to fight Jean-Yves in Detroit. Myself, Jeff, our trainer Joe Vassalo, and my friend Bruce [Massachusetts promoter] and his wife Cindy all make the trip. The promoter from Detroit, who's setting this whole fight card up, is Tiger Whatshisface. I don't trust promoters, period. But especially ones with jungle cats in their God damn name.

Our party arrives at the Pontchartrain Hotel. I immediately ask for the manager as we're about to sign in. I want to make sure everything is as was agreed to. We have three rooms, and all meals at the hotel paid for, just sign my name. The manager says, "yes, the rooms are waiting, but uh oh, there's no mention of paid for meals, they will not be provided"
Okay, call us a cab to the airport, and tell Tiger his main event is going back to Boston. Thanks for the plane ride."

The manager panics, gets Tiger on the phone, and the manager tells me okay, meals paid for. I ask for it in writing, and get it.

The match is Saturday night. During that day, TigerPromoter holds a karate tournament, big one, over a thousand competitors. Come the night of the matches, the under card is over, the main event is about to start. But - Tiger is going to do a Karate demonstration, in the ring, before the main event. Okayyyyy.....

They bring a bunch of guys into the ring. And a bunch of glass. Storm door windows, like you put on your door when screen season is over. I'm thinking WTF? Then they bring in some chairs.

Guy stands on a chair, another guy sits on his shoulders, then they carefully hand up five windows to the top guy. TigerPromoter does a double front jump kick and smashes the panes of glass. Which break into a jillion shards.....all over the ring. They they sweep it up. Now, I'm standing right beside the ring, and even after it's swept up I can see glass pieces everywhere. I ain't letting my fighter walk on that. Would you? So I ***** and moan, and the hotel finally gets some vacuums and sets to cleaning the ring. Which takes about forty minutes.

After the fights I'm talking to Jean-Yves and Mister Therien. Jean had fought some of his earlier fights in Boston, hadn't really spoken to him since then. So, we're talking.....and I learn that no good, son of a ***** promoter, put all of them, including George Gouvreau.....in one small room with a small double bed. Someone had to sleep on the floor. And they got no meals provided. So I had them join me for dinner that night, and signed my little fingers off. Heh, heh, heh, and we ate well.

They might not remember me in particular, but they'll probably remember the circumstances of that fight night. And Tigerwhats-his-name. But when you see them, please give them my best.

And to Frank Raud....Frank, did Jean-Yves have a younger brother who also fought in the ring? I seem to remember something like that.
See? AI knew food would be involved.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

OK...now you're jus showing off :D

and...DANG!!!! ...I am INCREDIBLY envious

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Great story, got a smile of John Therien when I relayed it to him. You are right, Jean-Yves brother George also fought in the ring. I believe all the brothers are black belts in jiu jitsu. Have you read the biography of Jean-Yves, called ICEMAN? It was written by a friend of mine.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I wish I could love this post instead of just “liking” it :)

Ever think of writing a book about the crazy sh!t you’ve seen and been in? I don’t think there’s a member here who wouldn’t pre-order. So that makes a few dozen sales. Any publisher would be all over those numbers :)

But seriously, keep the stories coming.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Great story, got a smile of John Therien when I relayed it to him. You are right, Jean-Yves brother George also fought in the ring. I believe all the brothers are black belts in jiu jitsu. Have you read the biography of Jean-Yves, called ICEMAN? It was written by a friend of mine.

Thanks much for the heads up on this. I just ordered a used copy on Amazon.

This is turning out to be a good morning! Sure didn't start out that way. My wife and I woke up to high pitched emergency alerts on our phones. This is what we see and hear....before coffee even.

HawaiiMissle.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is turning out to be a good morning! Sure didn't start out that way. My wife and I woke up to high pitched emergency alerts on our phones. This is what we see and hear....before coffee even.

View attachment 21205
After that, I doubt I'd need coffee. A change of shorts, maybe.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 21205
I hadn't seen the news, so I was like "WTF!?" Then I went to find the explanation and I'm still kind of perplexed. An employee "pushed the wrong button?" There's a button for that in such an obvious spot that someone could hit it by accident? (I'm assuming it's probably actually an option on a computer screen, but still...that's a screen that someone has routinely open?)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hadn't seen the news, so I was like "WTF!?" Then I went to find the explanation and I'm still kind of perplexed. An employee "pushed the wrong button?" There's a button for that in such an obvious spot that someone could hit it by accident? (I'm assuming it's probably actually an option on a computer screen, but still...that's a screen that someone has routinely open?)
Yeah, I can see that one right beneath the “cat stuck in tree” option and right above the “locked keys in car” button on the 911 dispatchers’ drop-down menu :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think I know what was up with that false alarm.
The Patriots are playing the Titans in the playoffs tonight. Marcus Mariota is their very talented Quarterback. He's from Hawaii.

Classic Belichick , getting in Mariota’s head. :)

Latest Discussions