Living the Martial Arts Journey

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well ....I speak English and I'm not very aware.
I have it on good authority that, as a U.S. citizen, you speak American, not English. ;)

Oh and regarding the quote, I thought it might have been some Victorian rubbish. I didn't recognize that it went all the way back to Plato until I clicked on Mograph's link. Then I read a little further and found out that my first instincts were right after all. It was written satirically in 1907 so technically an Edwardian spoof of pompous Victorian attitudes.

I think I had a high school teacher back in the 70's who used that quote, and I'd totally forgotten it. Now I'm a teacher, so I guess you could say the same things about teachers these days. Except the part about loving luxury. No way. Not on what they pay me, anyway.
Uphill. Both ways...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A joke then. Whew.
Brtis don't know how to to speak proper American. They say weird words instead of the correct terms like "flashlight" or "elevator." Someday, maybe, they'll learn to speak proper American.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Brtis don't know how to to speak proper American. They say weird words instead of the correct terms like "flashlight" or "elevator." Someday, maybe, they'll learn to speak proper American.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
To paraphrase Steve Martin in his monolog about the French….

Those British don’t have the courtesy…to speak American :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Again with the Python.

oui-yes.gif

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have it on good authority that, as a U.S. citizen, you speak American, not English. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Correct again, sir!

In fact, I used to say this all the time but got too much pushback, so now I compromise by describing my dialect as Standard American English. It would be easier to just say "the American Language" just like what it says on my desk dictionary.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
And of course, none of that was ever true about us, while we walked 10 miles to school, uphill, through 4 feet of snow. Both ways.
Hey, I had to walk 15 miles down a icy hill, both ways lol.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wish I had it so good...I had to walk to and from school, uphill to school both ways, on shear ice, during a blizzard while fighting off wolverines with only a used napkin....
Lucky.

We were fighting werewolves. ...packs of them.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions