Li’s Chinese Martial Arts

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Li's Chinese Martial Arts & Internal Healing Center

This is a school near me I was thinking of trying. I’m currently doing WC but I have not settled in anything yet. I’ve always been fascinated with CMA, but the more I read the more skeptical I become.

However after talking to a friend of mine who is Chinese and studied Kung Fu for years, then later went into boxing, BJJ and MMA, he claimed the days of comparing arts is over and that was more in the early days of UFC. He said after all it’s all movements. He did say if I was looking to become more of a fighter, an MMA gym is try way to go. Most important tho he said do what you enjoy. He also said he would never trade in his Kung Fu experience. He found it valuable.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some folks here can give you some input about that school and what they teach. They won't be able to tell if it's a good fit for you. Here's my basic recipe for selecting a school:
  • Figure out what you want from your training. (Fitness, self-defense, competition, fun, friendship, always something new to learn, simplicity, beautiful movement, violent options, soft options, etc.)
  • Do some research to find out what a school/program should be doing to help you get that thing you want. Make a list of what you should be looking for.
  • Go visit some schools and evaluate them against your list. Most likely, none will meet everything on your list, so decide which "misses" are deal breakers.
  • During your visit, imagine yourself training during the classes you are viewing (go watch a class with beginners and one with more advanced students). Only consider the schools where you like imagining yourself in the classes.
  • Go take a trial class, preferably at more than one school. (If one of your final candidates doesn't offer trial classes, pay for a month - it's worth the investment.)
  • Pick someplace you like, that offers several things you're looking for, is convenient to your home (or work, if there's little chance of that changing), fits your budget, and has classes that fit your schedule.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the instructor's bio and the videos on the website, I suspect the curriculum will be much more focused on forms for artistic performance rather than combative application. It's probably a good school for that sort of thing if you're into it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Li's Chinese Martial Arts & Internal Healing Center

This is a school near me I was thinking of trying. I’m currently doing WC but I have not settled in anything yet. I’ve always been fascinated with CMA, but the more I read the more skeptical I become.

However after talking to a friend of mine who is Chinese and studied Kung Fu for years, then later went into boxing, BJJ and MMA, he claimed the days of comparing arts is over and that was more in the early days of UFC. He said after all it’s all movements. He did say if I was looking to become more of a fighter, an MMA gym is try way to go. Most important tho he said do what you enjoy. He also said he would never trade in his Kung Fu experience. He found it valuable.
After looking at the videos on the website and reading his bio, this is clearly a school teaching Modern Wushu.

This is different from the traditional fighting methods from China. Modern Wushu was established by the Chinese government in the 1950s as a performance and competition sport and cultural art form. It was based on the old fighting methods, but they were altered to emphasize athleticism and performance, at the expense of actual combat viability.

Movements are done with an eye toward aesthetics, which can also mean they lack structural integrity and good biomechanics. This can lead to injury, over time.

Modern Wushu is not a fighting method, nor is it intended to be. It is a performance art, based on the look of older fighting methods.

People who train in Modern Wushu can be outstanding athletes and are often capable of some pretty impressive physical feats and acrobatics. But that is not a viable fighting method.

His website states that he also teaches “Kung fu” which I interpret to mean the traditional fighting methods, but I don’t see any of it in the videos and there is no real information about that on the website.

If you are interested in this kind of performance art, then I would say this guy would be a good teacher. Just understand that it is not a combat method.

Mustafa1

White Belt
Reaction score
Look dude, this triangel of: Body, Spirit, Mind.

Body is the "root" one. Some would go internal and develop the mind. But like i was told in my younger days: Never let your mind rest! Sit with your spine erect, and meditate. I my Japanese experience. In Kung Fu its important to maintain spirit.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look dude, this triangel of: Body, Spirit, Mind.

Body is the "root" one. Some would go internal and develop the mind. But like i was told in my younger days: Never let your mind rest! Sit with your spine erect, and meditate. I my Japanese experience. In Kung Fu its important to maintain spirit.
o_O