Lion Dancing

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why do you think Wing Chun doesn't go in for the whole lion dancing thing , I mean the one where you dress up in a lion costume not the one where you are boot scooting around the floor in your checkered shirt and cowboy hat .

Other Kung Fu styles seem to really be into it , I remember the Choy Lay Fut school down the road from us used to come up to our school and give a blessing with their Lion Dance every chinese new year , which was very nice of them by the way , considering that there was a bit of a rivalry thing going on.

I remember saying to someone " How come we don't do that it looks like great fun " , " Wing Chun doesn't do Lion Dancing " came the stern reply . So why is it that Wing Chun doesn't do Lion Dancing ?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You joke, but I know that Southern Wing Chun which is based in Essex, England do line dancing in order to raise money for their school

They put on performances and the money collected is put in a pot that allows instructors to travel to Hong Kong etc

Going back to the Lion Dancing - it all comes down to economy of motion

Dancing around in a lion costume isn't very efficient and does not use the centre line

Therefore we cannot do it. Sorry

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also I have to asked...When people do the Lion dancing don't they use Arrow Stance, Horse Stance and Cat Stance and swallow stance...Wing Chun foot work is totally different right?

Just a question?

I am only going by what i think i see i could be wrong?

You joke, but I know that Southern Wing Chun which is based in Essex, England do line dancing in order to raise money for their school

They put on performances and the money collected is put in a pot that allows instructors to travel to Hong Kong etc

Going back to the Lion Dancing - it all comes down to economy of motion

Dancing around in a lion costume isn't very efficient and does not use the centre line

Therefore we cannot do it. Sorry

Latest Discussions