lima lama

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know of anywhere I can find information about this art? I've looked on pretty much every search engine I know of but nothing comes up in english. I can translate most of the websites through google but then nothing really make too much since. I figured if anyone has any info at all it would be you guys :)

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In whatever search engine you use, try finding "Kuntaw Lima Lama". Also, maybe look up the name "Carlito Lanada".

Cthulhu

T

tonbo

You can also look for videos by Ted Tabura. He has three out, I think, and gives a pretty in-depth look into the style.

Peace--

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lima lama -

a form of kenpo (at least, in a kenpo traditional forms division, lima lama forms are generally permitted)

grandmaster: Tino Tuiolosega

the art is very popular in mexico, so a lot of the lima lama pages are in spanish, but here's a few in English:

http://limalama.20m.com/History.htm
http://www.martialartsinstitute.com/limalama2.html

and GM Tino's page is http://www.limalama.com

Although I don't know a lot about his art, I've met GM Tino on a few occasions, and he seemed to be a very knowledgable gentleman.

OP
kenpo_cory

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Cool, found some interesting things through your guys links and info. Thanks a lot guys. Oh, and gals. :)

T

Tony Starks

hey guys, limalama is the style i am currently taking. limalam means the whipping hands and we use a lot of wrist action, as well as kicks, punches, throws, breaks and a whole lota others. limalama is essentially a mix martial art because it blends a lot of diff MA together. Its a samoan martial art and my intructor is one of the founders, his name is richard nunez. the class is cool, but im looking for a new style because i feel like i am getting overlooked alota the times, and also that we never spend enough time on something which confuses a lot of people in my class. thats my only quarel with it, but besides that its cool and if u have the chance try it out. the school i got has a web page and here it is :

nokaoi-online.com

-T.S.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it sounds like more of an instructor issue... try finding a new teacher...

if you must find a new style, think about checking into Kenpo. Lima Lama forms are allowed in "traditional kenpo forms" divisions, because some things are very similar and (from what I've heard) lima lama stances and the like are similar also, so it may be easier to transfer what you already know.

T

Tony Starks

hey thx a lot!, i appreciate ur help and iwill look into kenpo, but its kinda hard to find a school around me but ill check out ur site and the yellowpages.

Thx again,
T.S.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These are the schools I know of around the Los Angeles Area. I dunno how far you're willing to drive. I haven't been to any of these other than Mr Tatum (who I recommend wholeheartedly!) so this is just FYI. I'm not recommending, just informing.

Larry Tatum's Kenpo Karate
Mr. Larry Tatum
111 W. Green St.
Pasadena, CA 91105
(626) 796-4029
affilliation: LTKKA

Brian Hawkins Kenpo Karate
Mr. Brian Hawkins
12243 Venice Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310) 313-3883
affilliation: UKS

Scholar and Warrior Kenpo
Mr. Rick Jeffcoat
464 E. Colorado Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91101
(626) 793-6565

Ed Parker's American Kenpo
2245 E. Colorado Bl #104
Pasadena, CA 91107
(818) 577-8173
affilliation: unknown

Akutagawa Kenpo Karate
Mr. Erik Akutagawa
Los Angeles, CA
(310) 503-7175

Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate
Mr. W. Kongaika
1705 E. Walnut Ave
Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 792-6408
affilliation: IKKA

oldnovice

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
These are the schools I know of around the Los Angeles Area. I dunno how far you're willing to drive. I haven't been to any of these other than Mr Tatum (who I recommend wholeheartedly!) so this is just FYI. I'm not recommending, just informing.

Larry Tatum's Kenpo Karate
Mr. Larry Tatum
111 W. Green St.
Pasadena, CA 91105
(626) 796-4029
affilliation: LTKKA

Brian Hawkins Kenpo Karate
Mr. Brian Hawkins
12243 Venice Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310) 313-3883

Scholar and Warrior Kenpo
Mr. Rick Jeffcoat
464 E. Colorado Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91101
(626) 793-6565

Ed Parker's American Kenpo
2245 E. Colorado Bl #104
Pasadena, CA 91107
(818) 577-8173
affilliation: unknown

Akutagawa Kenpo Karate
Mr. Erik Akutagawa
Los Angeles, CA
(310) 503-7175

Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate
Mr. W. Kongaika
1705 E. Walnut Ave
Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 792-6408
affilliation: IKKA

Is anyone currently reading and/or posting at Martialtalk.com currently training in Lima Lama? I've read a couple of articles dealing with it, over the years, and it sounds like an effective self-defense art.

I think it's one of the styles that kickboxing legend, Benny Urquidez trained in.

scythe1969

White Belt
Reaction score
I currently am training in Limalama. Our dojo is located in Stanton, CA. You can PM me if you'd like to ask any questions.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In whatever search engine you use, try finding "Kuntaw Lima Lama". Also, maybe look up the name "Carlito Lanada".

Cthulhu
It is Kuntaw lima lima refering to the 5 strikes ( lima means 5 in Tagalog), stickwork. It is relatively new as of 2000 or so.
Lima lama is something completely different

John Wright

White Belt
Reaction score
Never herd of Kuntaw Lima Lama only Lima Lama. Lima Lama means the hand of wisdom. Originally there were no weapons in this system.

Latest Discussions