What is Kajukenbo ?

TKDJUDO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while since I've posted something on Martial Talk.

Anyways, I was searching on Wikipedia, and I stumbled across this relatively new Hawaiian art called "Kajukenbo". Can anyone give me some more info about this art. I was watching a couple vids on youtube about it, and it seems pretty intense. Some say that it was "designed to address the gritty reality of street combat." Is this true? And what things does this art teach ?

It looks as if the sparring aspect of this art is very much similar to Taekwondo but I could be wrong.

What exactly is "Kajukenbo" ?:waah:...I'm so confused

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while since I've posted something on Martial Talk.

Anyways, I was searching on Wikipedia, and I stumbled across this relatively new Hawaiian art called "Kajukenbo". Can anyone give me some more info about this art. I was watching a couple vids on youtube about it, and it seems pretty intense. Some say that it was "designed to address the gritty reality of street combat." Is this true? And what things does this art teach ?

It looks as if the sparring aspect of this art is very much similar to Taekwondo but I could be wrong.

What exactly is "Kajukenbo" ?:waah:...I'm so confused

If you havent already, you may want to check out the Kajukenbo section that we have here on this forum. Also, John Bishop, a Senior Mod. here at Martial Talk is an 8th degree in the Kajukenbo system. I'm sure he could provide you with alot of info. :)

I'll try to give you some info on it. There were 5 founders to the art. Each trained in a different art, hense the name of the style.

Ka= Karate
Ju= Judo
Ken=Kenpo
Bo=Boxing

Yes, from what I've seen and heard about the art, its pretty intense. If you saw the Fight Quest show, they did a bit on Kaju. You'll have empty hand techniques, weapon techniques, as well as some kata. As for the sparring, they do do it, but I don't know if I'd compare it to TKD. ;) IMHO, there is a big difference.

I hope that this answered some of your questions.

Mike

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
yep fight quest had a show on it... comes from hawaii.. and if there is some one ranked like that in the art on the forum, GO ASK HIM!! he would know a lot more then most people.. and for sure a lot more then I do about the art...

Latest Discussions