Licensed karate?

G

GouRonin

What would you do if tomorrow the gov't said that they will start licensing martial arts and if you don't have a license you can't run a commercial school?

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

What would you do if tomorrow the gov't said that they will start licensing martial arts and if you don't have a license you can't run a commercial school?

I'd get a license......

/Yari

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Cute, Paul. :) I suppose there are a couple of options. One is to get a license, like Yari said. One is to stop teachining since you don't have one. A third would be to keep teaching but not run an organized, commercial school. I'm thinking of turning it into a club sort of thing or just running the lessons out of your backyard or something like that. I suppose whether or not that would work though would depend on how that hypothetical licensing law was worded.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd go back to teaching verry privately. I run a club now to avoid some of the restictions and demands of running a business.
It would be back to what many of the founders of our arts once did . Teach "dance" make a game of kicking someone out of a circle, develop timeing and music drills for drummers .
Shadow:asian:

OP
C

chufeng

In a sense, if you are operating a "for profit" school, you do need one...it's called a business license.

Clubs are not required to be licensed by the government but many Martial Arts Associations do require that satellite schools/clubs be licensed by the Association. Most teachers are required to get "permission" from (a license of sorts) their teacher to begin teaching.

If the "government" wanted a teacher (sensei/sifu/guru, etc.) to be licensed, the legislation would take forever to be enacted...they would first have to determine WHO was qualified to be an overseer...MANY, many questionable Martial Artists would come out of the woodwork to claim that "honor." There would be pandemonium...

...."How could so & so over there oversee my school? he doesn't know our system..." "That system isn't legitimate !!!" "He promoted himself !!!" "I AM the BEST and therefore to place anyone else in that position would simply be wrong...and if that happens, we won't cooperate !!!"

Golly...you can't even get agreement at a lot of the "open" tournaments.

Then, how would it be enforced???

Would this legislation extend to wrestling?
Would this legislation extend to boxing?

Nope, I don't see it in my future...

:asian:
chufeng

OP
D

Despairbear

I have to go with what other have said, I do not make a living with MA so a licence would do me no good. But I would be sighning up to circulate a petition to have such a law repealed.

Despair Bear

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by PAUL

I'd laugh if GouRonin's Government required licensing, because I live in the states!:D

You may laugh at Gou Ronin's liscensing but the most talk about legislating the martial arts comesout of the United States. Many states are looking into it and if it happens I can see a lot of problems. It will probably come down to just a couple styles that will be liscensed, imagine if the TKD McDojo down the road became the only style sanctioned by the government. What would you do then?

OP
F

fist of fury

Go to all the underground unlicensed schools.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tshadowchaser

I'd go back to teaching verry privately. I run a club now to avoid some of the restictions and demands of running a business.
It would be back to what many of the founders of our arts once did . Teach "dance" make a game of kicking someone out of a circle, develop timeing and music drills for drummers .
Shadow:asian:

I agree, but it's dependant on the restrictions. If it's just a matter of having a license, I'd get one. Here in Denmark we have to have a license to have a Iai-to, or "katana" to do Iaido. But it has no restrictions when you have it. But there are prerequisites, like being a part of a MA club, or show that you are a collector.

/Yari

OP
S

Shinzu

another point would be that just because someone is licenced, it doesn't mean they are legit.

i think i would stick to the pvt. lessons and run something out of my home.

OP
L

LanceWildcat1

Originally posted by GouRonin

Maybe I'm missing something here, but don't most schools within cities have to have a business license? Mine does. :asian:

Latest Discussions