Let the Questions Begin.......

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
Let me articulate my take on Ed Parker’s position on weapons. Ed Parker believed in weapons but not how many think. Weapons of all kind fascinated him, but his favorite weapon that dominated his huge collection was the firearm.
Doc thanks for this response! I can't remember how many times I heard my little guy reciting the Kenpo Creed..."and here are my weapons karate my empty hands!"...The whole idea of Ed Parker being so into weapons in general is very interesting.

I personally acquired many of his guns that included sniper rifles, Uzi machine guns, shotguns, and many different types of revolvers and semi-auto handguns. He literally had guns everywhere in the house. There was a painting that hung over his desk in his home office that featured a functional clock. If you knew the secret latch (as I did), it actually opened into a large safe full of guns.
Secret latch huh? Cool! Put ze candle bick.

He also had a huge knife collection of all types as well, beginning his fascination I believe with Gil Hibben’s black belt thesis creation of the “Parker Knife.” He had Bowies, folders, stilettos, and covert blades created for him from his ideas. He had a throwing star that consisted of four blades in a crossed pattern. He had a blade that was hidden inside of a belt buckle so that when you removed your belt you could swing the blade at your attacker and around corners. (He used that one in “The Perfect Weapon.”) He also had an unobtrusive belt buckle that when rotated the correct way, a blade was revealed and could be used independently of the belt. (His son gave that one to me after he passed, and I was blessed to receive it.)
What's the fastest way to a man's heart? Through his chest with a sharp knife! :D I saw a picture of that "Parker Knife" it looked nasty if my memory serves me... Is that knife used in Kenpo teachings? I'm going to have to see that movie again - The Perfect Weapon. There's so much more to watch for! :)

Although the firearms were given away by Mrs. Parker, his son maintains most of the other weapons.
That's not surprising I had a brief conversation with Mrs. Parker once and she seemed very mild mannered non-violent!

But when it came to his kenpo, he had a different philosophy. He believed that if a person were improperly trained, a weapon would only exacerbate already poor training of body mechanics. He would simply be a guy holding a weapon, and wholly dependent physically and psychologically on it.
From a psychological point of view it makes a lot of sense, like a martial arts belt rank, it can give some people a false sense of security I think.
But students, who were properly trained, would themselves be a weapon. Thus anything they chose to place in their hands would be a weapon. He demonstrated this in “Kill the Golden Goose” by breaking a plate over a guy’s head and then killing him with the sharp edges by slashing his jugulars. “Anything is a weapon,” he said as we watched the film. “It doesn’t matter when you have good body mechanics and know what to do with them.”
Would you say that he thought that weapons were to be viewed as an extension of the arms/natural weapons?

After all any good businessman always gives his customers what they want. They wanted weapons, he gave them weapons.
So Ed Parker was fascinated with weapons and created weapon's forms for his students for competitions, but did he personally/privately train with the weapons in his collection, or were they just for the sake of collection? Also Doc, aside from perfecting one's natural weapons from your perspective in law enforcement how do you view weapons' training in martial arts?

Respectfully,
MJ :asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
So Ed Parker was fascinated with weapons and created weapon's forms for his students for competitions, but did he personally/privately train with the weapons in his collection, or were they just for the sake of collection?
Ed Parker Sr. was proficient with every weapon he owned.
Also Doc, aside from perfecting one's natural weapons from your perspective in law enforcement how do you view weapons' training in martial arts?
I follow Ed Parker’s Philosophy.

Latest Discussions