Leopard Kung Fu

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ugh! these videos…so many problems with this. See my last post. I explain why. Will anyone else like to weigh in on what’s wrong with the way this form is expressed here? @Oily Dragon? @Kung Fu Wang?
Oh yeah I agree but at the moment I couldn't find a video. I prefer a long fist form I do but wasn't able to get a video. Just hoping to clarify the splitting gold move was similar to the opening move here.

There's some clips I think from the same channel with the guy from Kung Fu Genius explaining some Wing Chun kicks

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Low cross guard is what I’m talking about.
Yes that's in the forms as well. But not in the illustrations.

There are actually at least half a dozen variations I can think of in the core sets. High, low, sideways.

Very famous painting of an Iron Wire section. The generally idea is always the same.

1698388266731.png

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ohhh, I thought it was downward cross to outward/downward double hammers, which is what I was referring to with the first Chang Kuen set.
Yes.

Important distinction: the location of the crossed sau do not matter, what matters is the tension between them.

Application wise, a lot of these are for choking, not defense. But, it works as a guard when needed.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
As showing in this picture, when you use X block, how do you prevent your opponent from guiding one of your arms to jam your other arm. Your opponent has to do a lot to set that up. Now you just give that to him for free.

Sup Gi Sau is not a block, or what your picture shows. I'll try to find some Chinese that explains it. It's a lot more dynamic.

This is southern Dragon technique for crushing, not punching or blocking punches. And internal development. And shen.

Dragon doesn't hit, it envelops and swallows. It might help to point out, practicing the Sup Gi, as in the Iron Wire, is done with metal rings for a reason.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ugh! these videos…so many problems with this. See my last post. I explain why. Will anyone else like to weigh in on what’s wrong with the way this form is expressed here? @Oily Dragon? @Kung Fu Wang?
Too sleepy to watch right now but tomorrow I'll look.

I'll say this, I'm very practical when it comes to fist sets and I don't have a lot of patience for flowery **** if it's passed off as combat art. If it's flowery for aesthetic purposes though, it's fine by me. As long as it's honest, I don't hate on anyone's form.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
About 15 years ago I tried to use the x guard and at the time the theory was that it made it possible for me to catch incoming punches. Unfortunately I never got around to test it

My theory is that it takes away the guess work of which hand to use to grab. We have this in Jow Ga but it's function is often glossed over with questionable applications
We can chat more about these later but for now think of Sup Gi Sau less as a guard against strikes and more like a closed guard in BJJ, but with your arms instead of your thighs.

There is a whole set of techniques and dynamic tension exercises involving locking with this character +, all around the body.

This is why Wong Fei Hung saved Dragon for his most advanced lessons. Tid Kiu Saam taught him this. This is why they called Leung Kwan the Iron Bridge.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It makes sense to let your leg to do your leg job and let your hand to do your hand job.
Yeah I agree. I always tell people if it's low enough where you gotta lean into it it's to low to use your hands and your legs probably can do it better/safer. I started adopting that after finding the Wing Chun Leg blocks. It's good stuff

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The downward cross block for front kicks can be used to good effect to catch and turn low kicks. I have used it with force to stuff a DLT as well. It requires that you “squeeze” both arms together not just lay one on top of the other.
I've seen the downward cross used that way but I haven't used that one for trying to block a kick.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've seen the downward cross used that way but I haven't used that one for trying to block a kick.
Not sure if the angle matters but Wing Chun uses cross like blocks more so to the sides. As far as I remember it's meant to absorb primarily kicks or I'd assume hooks. But not sure how they deal with the obvious part where you leave yourself open.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for the sake of discussion. When he does

- the reverse punch at 0.26, his right fist, right shoulder and left shoulder should make a perfect straight line. He didn't extend his punch far enough.

- horse stance left punch at 0.41, his right foot should point south or southeast. It should not point to the southwest.

Many people do this kind of outward horse stance, and I don't know the reason behind it.

If you face north with outward horse stance, when your

- left leg borrow the counter force from the ground, your body will move to northwest.
- right leg borrow the counter force from the ground, your body will move to northeast.

Since your body can't move toward NW and NE at the same time, this kind of outward horse stance make no combat sense at all.

I agree 100% with this.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes.

Important distinction: the location of the crossed sau do not matter, what matters is the tension between them.

Application wise, a lot of these are for choking, not defense. But, it works as a guard when needed.
Scissor strike from that position works too as long as the tension is there.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As showing in this picture, when you use X block, how do you prevent your opponent from guiding one of your arms to jam your other arm. Your opponent has to do a lot to set that up. Now you just give that to him for free.

You use it against straight punches The hands are held apart and form the X as the punch comes in.
You turn your waist as the punch travels in between your wrists. The turning of the waist is what makes it possible to lock the punch.

That's 1 application of it for use of grabbing a punch. Turning the ways also redirects the punch and positions one of the arms for striking.

The other application is an arm break which uses the part of the X that is created by the forearms. The forearms put pressure I opposite directions on a punching arm causing thr arm to break.

Using your Bruce Lee clip. I would apply it when he's only in punching range and I would use it against a lead straight punch. With a vertical punch I would slide make the X . Grappling the wrist and slide my lead hand down the punching arm and apply upward and downward pressure on punching arm. With the goal of hyperextending the elbow.p

I would not use this technique within grappling range

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We can chat more about these later but for now think of Sup Gi Sau less as a guard against strikes and more like a closed guard in BJJ, but with your arms instead of your thighs.

There is a whole set of techniques and dynamic tension exercises involving locking with this character +, all around the body.

This is why Wong Fei Hung saved Dragon for his most advanced lessons. Tid Kiu Saam taught him this. This is why they called Leung Kwan the Iron Bridge.
Jiao Li Kung Fu
Form to fighting techniques:

Sup Ji Sao (scissor hand) Techniques
Qiu Sau Sparring Techniques
Bong Sau Techniques
Chut Sing Lin Wan Kuen
Shuai Jiao Sparring Techniques

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scissor strike from that position works too as long as the tension is there.
Yeah I found a good authoritative reference for Sup Gi in the Dang Fong lineage's Five Animal Fist book (which is a big volume). Also a lot more Leopard stuff. I'll try to summarize more later.

I'd rather stick to the Leopard stuff for now, since Sup Gi is a little different and a whole other can of worms. Like I said it's technically Dragon technique.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
One application that I can think of can be this. You have to cross your arms in order to cross your opponent's arms.

Sup Gi is a "Stopping Bridge" method (jit kiu), also known as the "Golden Scissor". It has five directions (high, middle, low, left, right). Like Marvin's videos show it can block things, but the real goal is bridging and controlling (hence the scissor motif). If you saw the Knife defense thread, it's exactly what the Navy SEAL instructor shows for stopping and controlling a knife attack (he calls it X guard the concept is the same).

Also, for breaking elbows.

It is used to flow into Dragon internal training like Dragon's Eyes (Loong Ngaan), which is part of the breathing and spiritual training in the Iron Wire. There's even a component of training the intensity of the eyes, something many people don't even think about training.

And now, back to Leopard. Right after lunch.

Latest Discussions