Learning Tai Chi online

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will argue that there is no one currently in the UFC solely on the basis of their physical attributes. All of them are very, very skilled. Even those who aren't world class still have much more overall skill than most hobbyist black belts (and honestly a high percentage of instructors who run their own schools).

If you see a UFC fighter who seems to have bad technique, there are a few possibilities.
1) He or she is using their technique in a way that you don't recognize because you don't have the right background.
2) The other fighter is making them look bad by virtue of even better technique or ringmanship.
3) They might actually have a bad habit on one area or another, but are compensating for it with superior technique elsewhere.

15-20 years ago you had some fighters who got in the UFC based just on physical attributes. Today the skill range is from very good to absolutely unreal.
I'll add one other bit to this excellent post: in some ways, good technique gets worse and worse looking as the situation gets more chaotic. To an extent, this is the same as #2, but can apply even when the other fighter isn't making them look bad - it's just the nature of chaotic combat going all-out, as often happens in MMA, especially at upper levels.

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'll add one other bit to this excellent post: in some ways, good technique gets worse and worse looking as the situation gets more chaotic. To an extent, this is the same as #2, but can apply even when the other fighter isn't making them look bad - it's just the nature of chaotic combat going all-out, as often happens in MMA, especially at upper levels.

I encourage you to watch the latest Kron Gracie vs Alex Caceres fight and witness two incredible elite fighters in action. One of the least chaotic fights that I have seen in a long time. Alex Caceres is an incredible fighter standing up mainly and also has a ground game. Kron Gracie quickly dismantles Alex in a calm methodical manner in the first round, just over 2 minutes. Kron didn't even break a sweat . It doesn't have to be chaotic based on correct trainers/mentors,martial art influences, timing, focus etc.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will argue that there is no one currently in the UFC solely on the basis of their physical attributes. All of them are very, very skilled. Even those who aren't world class still have much more overall skill than most hobbyist black belts (and honestly a high percentage of instructors who run their own schools).

If you see a UFC fighter who seems to have bad technique, there are a few possibilities.
1) He or she is using their technique in a way that you don't recognize because you don't have the right background.
2) The other fighter is making them look bad by virtue of even better technique or ringmanship.
3) They might actually have a bad habit on one area or another, but are compensating for it with superior technique elsewhere.

15-20 years ago you had some fighters who got in the UFC based just on physical attributes. Today the skill range is from very good to absolutely unreal.

Yes. The UFC of twenty years ago had some fighters any of us could have easily beaten, even guys in heavier divisions. But back then there were a lot of guys who really had no grappling skills per se, and some who couldn't punch worth a damn. Heck, do you remember UFC 1? Art Jimmerson? Kevin Rosier?
But at least they stepped up and fought. The biggest problem UFC 1 had was getting guys to actually compete in it.

Ain't no more of that happening in the UFC, that's for damn sure. They can all fight like the Dickens.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I encourage you to watch the latest Kron Gracie vs Alex Caceres fight and witness two incredible elite fighters in action. One of the least chaotic fights that I have seen in a long time. Alex Caceres is an incredible fighter standing up mainly and also has a ground game. Kron Gracie quickly dismantles Alex in a calm methodical manner in the first round, just over 2 minutes. Kron didn't even break a sweat . It doesn't have to be chaotic based on correct trainers/mentors,martial art influences, timing, focus etc.
It doesn't have to become chaotic, but it can. Even for people of high skill levels. When someone controls the situation, it's not chaotic for them, but can be for the other guy.

Latest Discussions