Doing the unthinkable.....

OP
Chat Noir

Chat Noir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. I still feel like an idiot (the music they play isn't helping), but I'm hanging in. I do find it somewhat relaxing too, but my knees still ache. I have pain on the side of the right knee. If I touch it, it hurts. It's painful to get up from sitting, bend or take the stairs. Even shifting in position hurts, believe it or not...I had the left knee operated on in July 2009 (Floating patella). I get wicked pain still with that knee but I suspect I have to build up the leg muscles. My right knee.... It was sudden, one day in July and not a gradual thing so I thought it was a tear from my Judo, but it clearly isn't. I see the doctor to find out what it is on November 8th, so until then, I'm going to keep moving and hope the Tai Chi helps. It certainly can't hurt, so I'd like to stay with it for the long haul.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Open the kua more. Practice sinking correctly. Watch your alighment and structure. Discuss with Your teacher any concerns.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Have you considered Alexander Technique? Sometimes a good AT person can point out the ways that we're moving and standing that cause trouble.

I say this because I've found it often helps to check out multiple disciplines and learn from them. Once I find what I'm doing wrong, I return to Tai Chi class or whatever.

ride57

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How is it going? no update in a while
I finally got through the first section. :headbangin: all moves correctly done with proper timing /speed etc? no... It will take time. I learn something every time, though. (my motto: If I am not learning something new every day, I'm dead) And my knees aren't as painful as they used to be.

OP
Chat Noir

Chat Noir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had an MRI recently on my right knee which revealed that I have a crack in the bone that's leaking fluid in the knee. All the physical therapy or exercise in the world would have had no affect. Surgery will scheduled for next month.....and I'll have to stay away from martial arts for a while just to let my knee heal and do physical therapy later to get my mobility back.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that but I am glad they found out what it was

Now a word of advice when it comes to recovery..... listen to the Doctor and therapists...it works much better that way and you actually recover..... take that from one who learned that lesson...the hard way...more than once.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Chat Noir sorry about your knee if you are still motivated you can practice only the arm and hand motions and practice remembering the form.
I know sometimes I just practice the hand motions and mentally remember the steps so I do not forget the form. Also You can watch and read videos and books
to help you understand things better.

Watch these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyeIWQ75ckY&feature=related
Listen to your doctors and good luck in your fast recovery

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Chat Noir

Chat Noir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
At the moment, training isn't on my mind. In a short span of four weeks, my left analog hearing died and I had to buy another pair of hearing aids. I got two receiver in canal - huge mistake, $2,500 worth. Both digitals no longer work and now both of my old analog are broken too. I have one really old hearing aid that hope lasts long enough to something to get repaired and my job is moving me to a new department to support five departments by myself - and cover the secretary's phone.....I can't believe my luck. When I am ever going to catch a break? I wish I were back in Judo with a normal knee and no headaches.....:confused:

OP
Chat Noir

Chat Noir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My Tai Chi teacher offered to let me jump into the class after the surgery and the green light for the doctor, which I plan to do because I clearly can't do Judo or Wing chun until I'm fully healed. The Tai Chi has been going well and I'm doing better with the movements although I still move like a robot and not quite like my teacher obviously. I wish I had more fluidity, but getting my knee fixed should help. The only drawback to the class is that the price has jumped up from $70 for eight sessions to $90.......

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the moment, training isn't on my mind. In a short span of four weeks, my left analog hearing died and I had to buy another pair of hearing aids. I got two receiver in canal - huge mistake, $2,500 worth. Both digitals no longer work and now both of my old analog are broken too. I have one really old hearing aid that hope lasts long enough to something to get repaired and my job is moving me to a new department to support five departments by myself - and cover the secretary's phone.....I can't believe my luck. When I am ever going to catch a break? I wish I were back in Judo with a normal knee and no headaches.....:confused:

That's a lot to deal with. Hope things get better for you soon.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Try this: if I recall, either T.T. Liang or Cheng Man-Ch'ing (I can't find the reference) once had a dream that he had no arms and no legs. After that dream, he understood song. Try directing the moves from your core, leading the turning and movements with your core, center, or center of gravity. Let your arms go where they need to go ... keeping them in the ballpark, if that makes sense. That might help you move a little less robotically. Do this with the movements for which you already know the choreography.
The idea of the dream is that you do the same thing, but if you imagine that you have no arms and legs, your arms will go where they need to go without too much intervention on your part. Of course, first you have to have a rough idea where they need to go.

... and good luck with your healing.