Learning Aikido

Kiron

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm learning Aikido now. I was inspired by Steven Seagal when I watched his videos on youtube when he was conducting an exhibition match with the Russians. It's been 6 months when I started learning. Aikido has no fancy movement, saves up your energy and most of all it is deadly. It can break your arms legs or even your neck in an instant.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm learning Aikido now. I was inspired by Steven Seagal when I watched his videos on youtube when he was conducting an exhibition match with the Russians.
He is something of a "controversial" figure.

It's been 6 months when I started learning.
What style did you decide on?

Aikido has no fancy movement, saves up your energy and most of all it is deadly. It can break your arms legs or even your neck in an instant.
OK.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm learning Aikido now. I was inspired by Steven Seagal when I watched his videos on youtube when he was conducting an exhibition match with the Russians. It's been 6 months when I started learning. Aikido has no fancy movement, saves up your energy and most of all it is deadly. It can break your arms legs or even your neck in an instant.
Well I'll give you one thing not many people can say they've been inspired by Steven seagul. The guy isn't exactly known for his honesty and legitimacy

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can break some one arm leg and neck with a sledgehammer.. you do not need Aikido or any other martial art for that.. Would a sledgehammer not be less work and effort? And cash expenditure?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really?! I didn't know that
In some sessions where he was ostensibly training Silva (it did look like Silva was earnestly working on some concepts, and there may have been some new and/or useful variations discussed), Seagal did cover the front kick. Clearly, that wasn't Silva's first exposure to it (I'm not even sure what they would have covered).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you're enjoying your training and finding value in it. You may want to step back the rhetoric a bit. Most styles do have some "unnecessary" movement that is part of the training (some styles of Aikido even train this in to account for different responses from the attacker). As for "fancy", that's a pretty vague term. Some of the techniques can get complex (again, designed to follow the movements of the attacker), and can seem fancy compared to other arts, especially when you are looking at the more deeply aiki (what I term "pure aiki") variations.