Has anyone ever heard of a red sash in Aikido?

Agentjoeya07

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,
My roommate keeps bragging about how many fights hes won, and about how much of a bad *** he was when he was younger. I know Tea Kwon Do, and my dad studied a lot of varios martial arts styles one being Aikido. And ive never heard of a red sash in Aikido. I know there are sash's in KungFu. He is an older over weight man. Wondering if anyone could help. He waves his hands around, and talks about racking on peoples legs. There was this one time when he went to test me, and i blocked everything he through at me until he hit. Me real hard in the shoulders, nuatralizing my reflexes, and then chopped me on both sides of my neck. Which he called a tap. But if my neck wasnt as built as it is, if that would have been anybody else who had a normal size neck it would have really hurt them. Is it me, or is he delusional about being a red sash in Aikido. He says he learned from a grand master named Al Clark. Not even sure who that is. Maybe somebody knows more about this than i do. From my experience with martial arts. You dont go around saying my martial arts is better than yours, and you dont go around acting like a jerk to people, and telling people lies about your status. Just curious if anybody else has ever heard of this red sash thing in Aikido? Thank you.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that sashes are utilized in Chinese martial arts. In Japanese martial arts (like Aikido) they use belts.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is my answer when anyone asks something like this....who cares? If he's lying then that's his problem it really doesn't matter at the end of the day

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello all,
My roommate keeps bragging about how many fights hes won, and about how much of a bad *** he was when he was younger. I know Tea Kwon Do, and my dad studied a lot of varios martial arts styles one being Aikido. And ive never heard of a red sash in Aikido. I know there are sash's in KungFu. He is an older over weight man. Wondering if anyone could help. He waves his hands around, and talks about racking on peoples legs. There was this one time when he went to test me, and i blocked everything he through at me until he hit. Me real hard in the shoulders, nuatralizing my reflexes, and then chopped me on both sides of my neck. Which he called a tap. But if my neck wasnt as built as it is, if that would have been anybody else who had a normal size neck it would have really hurt them. Is it me, or is he delusional about being a red sash in Aikido. He says he learned from a grand master named Al Clark. Not even sure who that is. Maybe somebody knows more about this than i do. From my experience with martial arts. You dont go around saying my martial arts is better than yours, and you dont go around acting like a jerk to people, and telling people lies about your status. Just curious if anybody else has ever heard of this red sash thing in Aikido? Thank you.
Ma is full of people like that, bigging themselves up, some of them have actually done ma for more than a few months, over weight middle aged men tend to reinvent their youth to have more excitement, victories

He sounds like a &&&&, consider getting a better room mate, or just zone him out

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From my experience with martial arts. You dont go around saying my martial arts is better than yours, and you dont go around acting like a jerk to people, and telling people lies about your status. Just curious if anybody else has ever heard of this red sash thing in Aikido? Thank you.
That’s not just applicable to MA. Doing that with anything is being a douche. My car’s better than yours, my dad can beat up your dad, etc.

As far as red sash, I don’t do Aikido, but I’m pretty sure red isn’t used in most Aikido schools. In the Japanese (and Okinawan) arts that use red, it typically denotes master level. Solid red belts are typically 9-10th dan (degree black belt). Other belts will have red in them too. I’ve never seen an Aikidoka wearing a red belt though.

And Chinese arts use sashes, Japanese use belts.

But there are some weird schools out there that do weird stuff, so you never know.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That’s not just applicable to MA. Doing that with anything is being a douche. My car’s better than yours, my dad can beat up your dad, etc.

As far as red sash, I don’t do Aikido, but I’m pretty sure red isn’t used in most Aikido schools. In the Japanese (and Okinawan) arts that use red, it typically denotes master level. Solid red belts are typically 9-10th dan (degree black belt). Other belts will have red in them too. I’ve never seen an Aikidoka wearing a red belt though.

But there are some weird schools out there that do weird stuff, so you never know.

Actually I've only ever seen two belts in Aikido and that white that you get with you Keigogi and then black when you get to shodan ...but maybe in other styles they wear belts I dunno ....anyways when you get to wearing Hakama you can't really see the belt lol.....and really who cares, if he is saying he is advanced in Aikido then it will be fairly obvious if he is or isn't ....Also there rally is only one comp style in Aikido and it is very rare to see any Aikidoka going round bragging he can fight and kick ***, just not something I come across

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

In ishinryu karate red belt is the first belt you get after white

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In ishinryu karate red belt is the first belt you get after white
I haven’t seen that. A little google-fu didn’t show anyone using red at all, except some of the high dan ranks.

Not that no Isshin Ryu school whatsoever uses it, but it’s most likely the exception and not the norm.

I think some Wado Ryu schools use it after white belt too. Not sure how prevalent that is though.

Kyokushin used to use it after white belt, but Mas Oyama changed it to orange allegedly out of respect for the people who wore it as a high dan rank.

I think judo was the first to use red and the red and white belt for high dan ranks. They used it due to it being Japan’s flag colors. I think the red and white panel belt came first, then the solid red came into use. I could be wrong about that though.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven’t seen that. A little google-fu didn’t show anyone using red at all, except some of the high dan ranks.

Not that no Isshin Ryu school whatsoever uses it, but it’s most likely the exception and not the norm.
In a quick search I found this, red just before yellow: https://www.kickboxing4sport.co.uk/copy-of-red-belt
Searched for kickboxing because I had a vague idea that red was used were I trained ‘American kickboxing’ in England (just that association does not tell about belts online).

Plenty of reds here, front page: https://www.elitedp.net/

I have used a red belt (3rd kyu) before brown belt. It can be whatever, even if not the norm.

If you put some time on it you will even find camouflage belt. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In a quick search I found this, red just before yellow: https://www.kickboxing4sport.co.uk/copy-of-red-belt
Searched for kickboxing because I had a vague idea that red was used were I trained ‘American kickboxing’ in England (just that association does not tell about belts online).

Plenty of reds here, front page: https://www.elitedp.net/

I have used a red belt (3rd kyu) before brown belt. It can be whatever, even if not the norm.

If you put some time on it you will even find camouflage belt. :)
I was referring to Isshin Ryu karate in the post you quoted. Rereading my post, I can see how it would be confusing. I should’ve said “... didn’t show any Isshin Ryu schools using it at all...”

Plenty of non-Japanese and Okinawan organizations use red as a colored belt rather than a high dan rank. TKD immediately comes to mind.

Very, very few Japanese and Okinawan organizations use red as a colored belt. Isshin Ryu is an Okinawan system. I’m not saying zero Isshin Ryu schools use red as a colored belt; I’m just saying I didn’t find a single one in my google search. A particular Isshin Ryu school using red as a kyu belt is an exception, definitely not the norm.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tatsuo Shimabuku, founder of Isshin Ryu karate. Note the belt color. I doubt his belt is the first belt after white.
693A10B5-E64D-42EE-85D0-E52D838665D7.jpeg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to go look for the impossible. A red sash in Aikido.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to go look for the impossible. A red sash in Aikido.
google let me down. Which is remarkable in itself. The one thing that I couldn't find on Google is an Aikido sash.

I just made up something to look up. Frankenstein Frog and I found that.
signal-frankenstein-tag.jpg

But a Sash in Aikido was too much for google to handle.

I did however find a Kung Fu Belt

Now I'm trying to figure out if they give belts or Sashes?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
google let me down. Which is remarkable in itself. The one thing that I couldn't find on Google is an Aikido sash.

I just made up something to look up. Frankenstein Frog and I found that.
signal-frankenstein-tag.jpg

But a Sash in Aikido was too much for google to handle.

I did however find a Kung Fu Belt

Now I'm trying to figure out if they give belts or Sashes?
When I was training classical Wing Chun, I was made to buy my own belts.

Or alternatively buy pants that fit.

Antighsiothail

White Belt
Reaction score
I had nearly 3 years in Aikikai and 13 in Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido and have never seen a sash much less a red one. The schools I've been to it's ..white-yellow-orange-green-blue-brown-black, belts.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually I've only ever seen two belts in Aikido and that white that you get with you Keigogi and then black when you get to shodan ...but maybe in other styles they wear belts I dunno ....anyways when you get to wearing Hakama you can't really see the belt lol.....and really who cares, if he is saying he is advanced in Aikido then it will be fairly obvious if he is or isn't ....Also there rally is only one comp style in Aikido and it is very rare to see any Aikidoka going round bragging he can fight and kick ***, just not something I come across

There are some styles of AIkido that use white/blue/purple/brown/black belts in their ranking system.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tatsuo Shimabuku, founder of Isshin Ryu karate. Note the belt color. I doubt his belt is the first belt after white.
View attachment 21746

In some styles, there is a red belt and it is a low kyu rank.

The thing about belt colors is that outside of the "black belt" colors don't mean anything outside of that particular school/organization.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In some styles, there is a red belt and it is a low kyu rank.

The thing about belt colors is that outside of the "black belt" colors don't mean anything outside of that particular school/organization.
Agreed. Even black doesn't, really.

Latest Discussions