LARPING?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A bit of Fry and Laurie is a favorite here. So many quotable moments.

And isn't it quite remarkable that Hugh laurie is actually English lol not American as folks believed he was after House lol friends of mine when I showed them him with Stephen Fry or in Blackadder said he does a very good English accent , That really made me laugh, I guess I shattered some of their dreams by telling them umm no the accent he does in House is the put on one

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And isn't it quite remarkable that Hugh laurie is actually English lol not American as folks believed he was after House lol friends of mine when I showed them him with Stephen Fry or in Blackadder said he does a very good English accent , That really made me laugh, I guess I shattered some of their dreams by telling them umm no the accent he does in House is the put on one
When he auditioned for House, he used the accent you hear in House. The casting crew had no idea he was British. And my favorite scene in House is him doing a very bad fake English accent on the phone.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When he auditioned for House, he used the accent you hear in House. The casting crew had no idea he was British. And my favorite scene in House is him doing a very bad fake English accent on the phone.

I didn't know that about casting , folks in the UK actually were very surprised when he did House as really they knew him from a bit of Fry and Lawrie, Blackadder and Jeeves and Wooster they never considered him really as an actor per se

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that about casting , folks in the UK actually were very surprised when he did House as really they knew him from a bit of Fry and Lawrie, Blackadder and Jeeves and Wooster they never considered him really as an actor per se
Yeah, he's disgustingly talented.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can think of one lol but I ain't saying it as it will cause a fight lol

Much of TMA is similar to Larping, IMO. Take Kung-Fu....it's mostly non-Asians dressed up like Asians of non-modern times, doing ancient flowery forms with their limbs, weapons, etc. like right out of a Run Run Shaw KF movie.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's true HEMA ain't generally cheap if you want to go full contact with steel weapons, though you can outfit yourself in full kit for steel longsword for about $1200 (sometimes less), including a weapon.

Hmm, I thought HEMA was something else then. $1200 is reasonable. I thought it was like $5000 for cheap/used stuff....so like $10k to start for equipment on average. This is def. something that I'd like to graduate to.

What is this video classified as? And how do you maintain the armor? You have to fix the dents right? Loss of rigidity? Need to pay someone w/qualified skills to maintain it, right?

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mostly just no.
But!!!

The Society for Creative Anachronism...has no magic... and two divisions. A fencing division, and a heavy weapons division.

I did this in my 20s, long before I knew of Dog Brothers, and HEMA.

I also did Tilting... very dangerous stuff.

Heavy weapons... a set of plate armor, metal helmets, a shield... and a heavy rattan sword. It's as close as you can safely get.
Here is a full on battle.
Music is awful in the first video.

Foam swords and magic is for the DnD crowd

Holy ****, thank goodness for bullets. I'd hate to die like this in a war.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like everything else. LARPING isn't done to learn real sword fighting techniques. It's done for entertainment. So to think that it will get you to real sword fighting wouldn't be logical. If you want to learn real sword fighting then train real sword fighting.

They are using legit sword fighting techniques as shown by the video on page #1 that Drop Bear linked.....although so far, what I've found to be negative is that it has made me somewhat reckless. Because when I train with sticks and knives at my gym, it's mostly with high respect for not getting cut at all....so not a lot of committed engagements. Larping, I'm told to sacrifice an arm to get a torso shot for the kill, b/c it'll grow back when I touch the magic styrofoam skull over there, haha.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are using legit sword fighting techniques as shown by the video on page #1 that Drop Bear linked.....although so far, what I've found to be negative is that it has made me somewhat reckless. Because when I train with sticks and knives at my gym, it's mostly with high respect for not getting cut at all....so not a lot of committed engagements. Larping, I'm told to sacrifice an arm to get a torso shot for the kill, b/c it'll grow back when I touch the magic styrofoam skull over there, haha.
That's the issue with padded weapons or heavy protective gear - it tends to favor aggression over defense. As long as you keep that in mind and put more focus on defense in other areas of your training, it might not be a problem.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the issue with padded weapons or heavy protective gear - it tends to favor aggression over defense. As long as you keep that in mind and put more focus on defense in other areas of your training, it might not be a problem.

Fair point as if you know you ain't gonna get hurt or the protective gear is gonna "save" you I'd say it leads to recklessness and possibly becoming to "sure of your fighting skills. Imo defensive skills with a sword are just as important as attacking ones.

Great your fantastic at going gung ho all out but what happens when a person defends or deflects then counters, if you cannot defend (as your used to it not hurting or the armour protecting) then you end up theoretically dead lol

I know zero about HEMA armour but I do know that Japanese arnour has it's weak points and that is part of any training I would suggest ie. not just to know where to attack but also how to defend your armour's weak points

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Much of TMA is similar to Larping, IMO. Take Kung-Fu....it's mostly non-Asians dressed up like Asians of non-modern times, doing ancient flowery forms with their limbs, weapons, etc. like right out of a Run Run Shaw KF movie.

Well, that depends upon individual intent and if the forms are so broken that they cannot work.
Flowery forms don't matter if they can provide a measure of self defense.

Larping requires a measure of "pretending" and knowing what you are doing is fake. And I am not talking about cult brainwashing.

there are chi ball cult members... who don't larp...they are mentally "All In". Their surprise is real when they get their butt whooped.

well rounded Real tma =well rounded MMA> single discipline intact tma> broken tma based on a real tma > Rattan sword LARPing > bogus tma > foam LARPing > keyboard warriors

If there is anything that I hate, it is someone selling and defrauding another person or group with a martial art that cannot defend you.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of surprise singing.

you trying to torture people. Japanese TV is just that , and don't get the smart idea of posting that show on their TV that had people dragged along tarmac on their bare butts just for a laugh,

The Japanese taste in TV is a bit like the German ..........................................(crap)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop that. Stop that right now.

[EDIT: Actual first words from a friend's granddaughter.]

The Two Ronnies.
The 'fork candles' sketch has been declared a national treasure.

Then there's 'Not the nine o'clock news' and 'Alas Smith and Jones'...….

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Two Ronnies.
The 'fork candles' sketch has been declared a national treasure.

Then there's 'Not the nine o'clock news' and 'Alas Smith and Jones'...….

Hey I beat you to alas smith and jones and NTNON lol

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rab C Nesbit and still game are good however if you don't get the accent then the closed captions ummm kinda don't read as they actually say it lol

I have been in the USA and said ummm no that isn't exactly what they said and at the end I saw it was someone from NY that did them which kinda explained it lol

Latest Discussions