Ladies Grappling Question

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Please don't take this question the wrong way...it isn't like that creepy phone call you get in the middle night with a breathy voice asking "what are you wearing right now?" (darn, I wish my smileys would work right now...would add the proper levity).

I am curious what female grapplers on the board wear to keep themselves "decent" while grappling. I am seriously considering getting a wrestling singlet to wear under my sprawls and club shirt because the long sports bra/top doesn't stay put.

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to stay covered while grappling?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about a good workout tank? or a leotard? Honestly I haven't had this trouble because I wear a good, restrictive sports bra that hold everything REALLY REALLY tight. I imagine a good training top or leotard with a decent neck (no scoops) should work.

Just out of curiosity - how long have you been grappling?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Alot of people wear rashgaurds or underarmor, either would do the trick for keeping yourself "decent". :)

Lamont

OP
Eternal Beginner

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
How about a good workout tank? or a leotard? Honestly I haven't had this trouble because I wear a good, restrictive sports bra that hold everything REALLY REALLY tight. I imagine a good training top or leotard with a decent neck (no scoops) should work.

Just out of curiosity - how long have you been grappling?

Well, I am wearing a workout tank underneath my club t-shirt right now and generally it is okay. I just was at a competition however where I had to fight a lady over 200 pounds and she kept "falling out" of her t-shirt, it was unpleasant from underneath and not a pretty sight either!:(:barf:

I just want to make sure that is never me!!!!!

How long have I been grappling? Well I've been doing BJJ for almost a year and a half and no-gi submission wrestling since last Christmas. I'm the only woman at my club so I have to pick the brains on forums like this to find out how other women deal with these issues.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
Well, I am wearing a workout tank underneath my club t-shirt right now and generally it is okay. I just was at a competition however where I had to fight a lady over 200 pounds and she kept "falling out" of her t-shirt, it was unpleasant from underneath and not a pretty sight either!
:lol2:
Well, after grappling with guys and having all kinds of things in my face, I've seen guys lose their pants and girls lose their tops - just old hat to me, part of the sport!

OP
Eternal Beginner

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
:lol2:
Well, after grappling with guys and having all kinds of things in my face, I've seen guys lose their pants and girls lose their tops - just old hat to me, part of the sport!

True, true. It is funny, I was almost scared off of BJJ when the first time we went to check out the club after doing a seminar with the instructor at a different location I saw a guy get totally exposed! Two guys were grappling near where we were observing and when one was trying to sweep the other he grabbed his gi bottoms (and string) and tried to shift his weight. The string came undone (unnocticed by both) and when he grabbed the pants again the guys gi pants slid off, but more embarrasingly the guy had also grabbed his boxers...X-rated!!!:xtrmshock:xtrmshock:xtrmshock

Yes BJJ with full frontal nudity, I'm so glad my daughter and son were facing the other way talking to the BB about kids classes!!!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We were doing some grappling last night during the college class and our own. I told the females to make sure their shirts were well tucked into their pants.. they were glad afterwards ;).. since the college kids don't all wear gi's.. we do insist on no shorts, tank tops, and preferably for the girls to wear sports bras under a t-shirt.

In our regular class, underarmour is a favorite with sports bra, and/or a heavyweight Gi top.. though that does get very hot when grappling.. it does protect modesty and keeps all where it should be :)

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tess, I'm wondering if you or anyone else you know/teach have experience with Champion's (or any other brand's) extreme minimizing sports bra? I've worn it while grappling and sparring and it is VERY tight and constricting, however, I get no poppage or slippage, I can still breathe well and the support is superior. I'd recommend it over the underarmor anyday ... well, at least, in the summer! :ultracool

OP
Eternal Beginner

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I get no poppage or slippage

LOL! What a way with words!:p:lol:

I wear an adidas long line sports tank, and so far so good...still thinking about getting a wrestling singlet to wear under my Sprawl's and t-shirt though. You can never be too modest in my books. I have grappled large women and been smothered by excess of them...the nightmares!

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I get no poppage or slippage

It pays to be small. Like Shakira says,

lucky that my breasts are small and humble, so you dont confuse them - with mountains...

EDIT

Then again - if I ever have kids, I will have to give them formula... they would starve to death if I tried to do it the natural way... :rofl:

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
I wear an adidas long line sports tank, and so far so good...still thinking about getting a wrestling singlet to wear under my Sprawl's and t-shirt though. You can never be too modest in my books.
See, I refuse to bend to modesty because it's often the first thing used against me if I am. And after having two high-risk deliveries and a speedy one, I got over about 99% of my modesty! :ultracool:whip::rolleyes:

Eternal Beginner said:
I have grappled large women and been smothered by excess of them...the nightmares!
You mentioned this before and please forgive my asking ... are you not grappling other women in your same weight class? I mean, I know 'stepping outside the box' and all, but ... the way you type that it sounds as though you grapple outside your weight class very often - is that just the nature of your class? small size? large women? (honest question, here)

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Tess, I'm wondering if you or anyone else you know/teach have experience with Champion's (or any other brand's) extreme minimizing sports bra? I've worn it while grappling and sparring and it is VERY tight and constricting, however, I get no poppage or slippage, I can still breathe well and the support is superior. I'd recommend it over the underarmor anyday ... well, at least, in the summer! :ultracool

No I've not used it Georgia, will have to ask my female students. Truthfully, I don't think about poppage or slippage ;) I roll with whatever I'm wearing :D
Burn them I say ~!!! *giggling* My post above was more about my students than my own comfort level.
I've been grappling for awhile, and I'm known to grab, twist or pinch anything that gets in my way ~!!
;) (bite on occasion.. thank goodness it was a male partner who just wouldn't submit ~! )

*whistling off key*

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
No I've not used it Georgia, will have to ask my female students. Truthfully, I don't think about poppage or slippage ;) I roll with whatever I'm wearing :D
Burn them I say ~!!! *giggling* My post above was more about my students than my own comfort level.
I've been grappling for awhile, and I'm known to grab, twist or pinch anything that gets in my way ~!!
;) (bite on occasion.. thank goodness it was a male partner who just wouldn't submit ~! )

*whistling off key*
YOU SO TOTALLY ROCK!!!!

I have to admit, though, that it sure is easier to wield a sword without the restriction bodacious ta-tas tend to afford. AND I've done my share of biting and pinching in class ... I save that now for the ball & chain when he's being a turd. I seriously grapple with my husband and he's a badass, so it's close to NHB around here with him.

I save wearing the restrictive bra for specific events (since I so rarely wear it, I prefer to train in what I usually wear).

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:

*whistling off key*

Tess,

You make me howl! :rofl:

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
WHOA!!! I would pay some serious money to see some of this stuff!!! %-}

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*Snickers* I'm beginning to wonder about my college students.. the males.. had 6 female coeds grappling last night and what did the guys do? Go off and get water and lay around exhausted on the mats ..totally ignoring the girls.. *Go figure*

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
*Snickers* I'm beginning to wonder about my college students.. the males.. had 6 female coeds grappling last night and what did the guys do? Go off and get water and lay around exhausted on the mats ..totally ignoring the girls.. *Go figure*
Most guys do need some time to recover .... :idunno:

Latest Discussions