Lack of Training

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I first would like to say this is a rant and I have no way of knowing where I am going with this.

As all of you know I restructured my school with alot of programs and stuff, the school is growing and that is good but what I have noticed is a drop out of my adults, I currently have only three that really train anymore. Alot of them are cominhg in early to help with the earlier classes and then are leaving for the night since they feel they are getting enough from just teaching and showing alot of kicks and stuff. My fight classs is about thirteen students mainly 16 and goes down to 10. We do not allow under green to be inside the fight team class since I do it. My adult class is suffering for the goodof the school, how do I bring them together and have the best of both worlds? I mean without adults I personaaly do not get much of a workout because I am not really into the sport side like they are. I need to find a balance of some sort before I go crazy. I need something more than I have right now? I need to be a part of my school but not to the extent of teaching the earlier classes.

Sorry to bring my problems to all of you but maybe one of you have gone though this and could leaned a hand so I can find that happy medium here at my school.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, we have 2 things, the instructor trainees, who assist in class, and the students. Usually the trainees assist with kids class, and are regular students in the adult class, which does not prevent higher ranks from helping lower ranks when the class is full.

BUT

yep, big but! We have attendance requirement before we get to test for rank. It averages out to 2-3 times a week over a 2 month period, black belts have to account for 4 month prior to testing (still 2-3 times a week) 'teaching' and assisting does not count towards that goal.

Showing moves really does NOTHING towards fitness, if anything it is a cause of injury, at least in my case, I do a lot of standing on the side, being cold and stiff, then I have to bust a BB move...hey, I am no kid anymore!

You might want to implement a separation of assisting and training. I mean, it IS tiresome to stand around a lot, you get stiff and all that jazz, after an afternoon of teaching I don't feel like working out (but logistic made me...) and come up with some sort of 'scoring', keeping track of attendance. Your now still fit adult students will probably find that there is a difference between just helping out and training themselves on a regular basis, I know I do!

There are several ways to accomplish that, old fashioned cards, initialed by the head instructor for that class (or whomever delegated to do so) or a bar code system, which I find particular fascinating! would help to keep track of kids as well, giving you a black on white proof to a parent should a kid not be up for rank advancement.

(I am having a day that calls for Bubble bath and something potent - ok, so I skipped the bath and went for the potent stuff, but I'll be happy to elaborate...maybe even with pictures, should scanner/camera cooperate) ;) )

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
As all of you know I restructured my school with alot of programs and stuff, the school is growing and that is good but what I have noticed is a drop out of my adults, I currently have only three that really train anymore. Alot of them are cominhg in early to help with the earlier classes and then are leaving for the night since they feel they are getting enough from just teaching and showing alot of kicks and stuff.

Terry, is this the same time-frame as their prior class? Could it be that the adult class is scheduled too late due to the other classes? Can you separate them out and have an adult-oriented class while the other class is going on?

I'd have a discussion with those coming in early to help teach and tell them that demonstrating is not training.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Terry I think Miles is onto a good thing to help you out.
Your place is big enough that you can have a kid's class going
on and then after it starts for a half an hour have the adult
class happen in the other area. This way those adults wishing
to teach can practice those skills for a half an hour and then
attend the adult class too.
icon14.gif

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, is this the same time-frame as their prior class? Could it be that the adult class is scheduled too late due to the other classes? Can you separate them out and have an adult-oriented class while the other class is going on?

I'd have a discussion with those coming in early to help teach and tell them that demonstrating is not training.

This is so true Thank you for the excellent advice.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry I think Miles is onto a good thing to help you out.
Your place is big enough that you can have a kid's class going
on and then after it starts for a half an hour have the adult
class happen in the other area. This way those adults wishing
to teach can practice those skills for a half an hour and then
attend the adult class too.
icon14.gif

Thanks Brian Yes we do have enough space and I should really look into it.

Latest Discussions